Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows 7 Support, Windows Vista Support

Vista, XP and EasyBCD

This is a discussion on Vista, XP and EasyBCD within the Windows 7 Support, Windows Vista Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi All, I've tried to install Vista on an older desktop pc (in its own primary partition) - it installed

Closed Thread

Old 06-03-2010, 06:18 AM   #1
Registered Member

Hi All,

I've tried to install Vista on an older desktop pc (in its own primary partition) - it installed and ran fine, but there was a snag. I had 2 copies of XP working perfectly well (each in its own primary partition) but the Vista boot manager had only set up access to one so I tried using EasyBCD 2 to add the other XP install to the Vista boot menu. That's when the whole thing went pear shaped.

Since EasyBCD's intervention none of the op sys on this pc will run - Vista refuses to load and stalls at this text message - "autochk program not found, skipping autocheck" - it then just reboots. Safe mode is no different. And the Vista install disc, repair Vista option says it can't fix it!

This is a small problem, yet has me intrigued - I wonder what repair Vista can fix then? I could just reinstall Vista - which would be very easy.

Back to the problem, the Vista boot manager now has 2 entries for XP (I was able to add one before Vista became defunct) but neither of them work - XP doesn't even try to load and the computer hangs and needs to be reset.

However I can access one XP installation using an emergency boot cd that comes with Paragon Partition Manager 9.5 - but it can only boot one XP version on the hard disc as the other merely leads straight back to the defunct Vista boot manager.

I've used EasyBCD 2 before, without problems. It can be temperamental but nothing like this. What have I done wrong?

Any help gratefully received. You have been stars in the past!
Thanks for reading, Regards George

Old 06-03-2010, 07:38 AM   #2
TSF Team Emeritus
Microsoft MVP

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

There should have been an option to backup the BCD store before you tried to add the other XP installation - can you revert back to that?

I'd suggest trying a repair of the Vista installation (NOT startup repair): http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/88...all-vista.html

Old 06-03-2010, 10:05 AM   #3
Registered Member

Hi usasma !

Thanks for the advice - I'll look into the Vista repair stuff, it sounds very interesting.

On the EasyBCD front I did the BCD operation from inside Vista... that no longer works, well as yet anyway, so a restore of the BCD is currently inaccessible. I can't remember expressly doing a backup, I was blissfully unaware that it existed until you told me about it. I don't suppose it does this automatically?

Is there any ideas why this happened with EasyBCD ? - its probably something I did when using it, but it didn't happen before. Would it be possible to get EasyBCD 1.7 (I think) to re-do the bootloader within the version of XP I can gain access to? This would be so I could easily access the two XP installations. I assume that version 2 (of EasyBCD) is mainly aided at Win 7 users..

With XP only or mixing with Linux I always used in the past Boot Magic - but I think Vista is outside of its capabilities.

Thanks,
George
Old 06-03-2010, 01:01 PM   #4
TSF Team Emeritus
Microsoft MVP

I haven't used EasyBCD myself in quite a while - I've relegated all of my other OS work to Virtual Machines and haven't multi-booted since early in my use of Vista. Just installed it on my system (to troubleshoot this and to use the NeoGrub stuff (I use that when multibooting flash drives with diagnostics))

No idea of why it happened, but the Vista install should have found both XP installs - so that was your first indication that there was a problem.

As I recall, the EasyBCD stuff should be accessible from the Pre-Installation Environment. Then you can use BCDEdit to restore it: http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials...t-how-use.html (but I'm having difficulty with it within Windows!)

But I think that this link is probably more appropriate for your current situation: http://neosmart.net/wiki/display/EBC...r+from+the+DVD

Once that's done (and you have Vista again), then look into this to fix/remedy any XP issues: http://neosmart.net/wiki/display/EBC...ing+Windows+XP
Old 06-04-2010, 09:42 AM   #5
Registered Member

Thanks again usasma - its great that you have looked at this for me, it's much appreciated.

The light is beginning to dawn on what has happened - and why it didn't go wrong when I did this before... its all about the order I installed things and whether the partitions were hidden from each other at install time.

I had to reinstall Vista (no problem with that) - the recovery pages you pointed me to would not work with my copy of Vista as it would not allow the "upgrade" option to be used, and their strategy depends on that.

But now neither XP will load - one starts then gets to the point of "autochk program not found, skipping autocheck" - just like Vista did. This it seems (from reading other postings) to happen when a partition is hidden and/or inactive. This wasn't a problem with Boot Magic as it merrily hid and made inactive partitions on each reboot... as far as I can tell.

But making all the partitions visible at the same time may muck things up as XP won't like the apparent drive letter assignment changes ... as normally EasyBCD doesn't do this. Except by using NeoGrub which I have yet to figure out.

As far as I can tell the Vista bootloader has been installed (as it will always be) on the first primary partition which holds a copy of XP - I suppose with the gift of hindsight I should have put Vista in an extended partition and used a small (first) primary for booting purposes - I could still do that.

Reading further the EasyBCD docs I see that since I think v 1.7 its not possible to pick which partition XP is loading from as they expect the user to fall back on the XP bootmenu system when more that one copy of XP is installed.

If I can get away with un-hiding all partitions and both XP copies (and Vista) work fine that would be great, otherwise its NeoGrub.

Thanks for the help - if I've completely misunderstood something in this please let me know.

Cheers, George
Old 06-04-2010, 11:49 AM   #6
TSF Team Emeritus
Microsoft MVP

I'd suggest making the partitions visible and seeing what happens.
If XP doesn't like it, you can always hide them again.

I've got another suggestion (depending on the use that you put XP to).
Use the free Disk2vhd utility from SysInternals at Microsoft to make virtual hard drives of each XP installation.

Then install Virtual PC (free from Microsoft also) and open up the virtual hard drives in it - viola, no problems with hidden drives at all!
Old 06-06-2010, 01:13 PM   #7
Registered Member

Thanks for the reply - I did un-hide the XP partitions and the first XP installed does now work! Excellent. This is probably because the installation of the first copy of XP is in partition 0 which is drive C so everything is where it expects it to be. Vista also still works (partition 1)- is is also great.

But I can't get the second copy of XP (in partition 2) to work - this partition is un-hidden and active, but XP refuses to show it on an XP secondary menu, which according to the info on EasyBCD is the only way to have a menu of multiple XPs or other legacy op systems.

I have amended the code in the boot.ini file using the XP utilities under System>Advanced>Startup&Recovery - by adding a line for the other copy of XP - but it doesn't work because it doesn't show the menu to pick it from. Even if it did I think because the other partitions are now visible to each other some adjustments would need to be made to that copy of XP. I think this can be done using Boot Corrector in the emergency boot disk that come with Partition Manager 9.5.

Any other advice would be gladly accepted.
Thanks, George
Old 06-06-2010, 01:20 PM   #8
TSF Enthusiast

My System

go into vista, open an elevated cmd
Code:
bcdedit > C:\tsfBCDfile.txt
upload the "tsfBCDfile" from the root of your C: drive
Old 06-06-2010, 02:36 PM   #9
Registered Member

Hi i MaRk i

The code comes out as follows...

Code:
Windows Boot Manager
--------------------
identifier              {bootmgr}
device                  partition=C:
description             Windows Boot Manager
locale                  en-US
inherit                 {globalsettings}
default                 {current}
displayorder            {current}
                        {8bfe8a38-6f53-11df-9e65-000c765ad370}
toolsdisplayorder       {memdiag}
timeout                 30

Windows Boot Loader
-------------------
identifier              {current}
path                    \Windows\system32\winload.exe
description             Microsoft Windows Vista
inherit                 {bootloadersettings}
osdevice                partition=C:
systemroot              \Windows
resumeobject            {105964fd-37b3-1243-8eff-b4b31de6f952}
nx                      OptIn

Real-mode Boot Sector
---------------------
identifier              {8bfe8a38-6f53-11df-9e65-000c765ad370}
path                    \NTLDR
description             Microsoft Windows XP
Thanks for your help.
George
Old 06-06-2010, 02:50 PM   #10
TSF Enthusiast

My System

elevated cmd:
Code:
bcdedit /set {8bfe8a38-6f53-11df-9e65-000c765ad370} device Partition=D:
replace "D:" with whatever drive letter XP has, but just include drive letter and colon.

Code:
bcdedit /copy {8bfe8a38-6f53-11df-9e65-000c765ad370} /d "2nd Windows XP"
replace "2nd Windows XP", with whatevery name you want for the other XP <---KEEP THE QUOTES

rerun this and upload the results:
Code:
bcdedit > C:\tsfBCDfile.txt
upload the "tsfBCDfile" from the root of your C: drive
Old 06-07-2010, 06:15 AM   #11
Registered Member

Thanks again iMaRk i

The results are as follows:-
Code:
Windows Boot Manager
--------------------
                        {8bfe8a3b-6f53-11df-9e65-000c765ad370}

Windows Boot Loader
-------------------

Real-mode Boot Sector
---------------------
device                  partition=E:

Real-mode Boot Sector
---------------------
identifier              {8bfe8a3b-6f53-11df-9e65-000c765ad370}
description             2nd Windows XP
I think I have got this wrong as the first and second copy of the XP entries both point to the same partition - am I right in thinking that the first one should point to C: ie. where the first copy of XP is located in the first partition.

Thanks, George
Old 06-07-2010, 06:59 AM   #12
Registered Member

Hi again,
After another adjustment the code looks like this:-

Code:
Windows Boot Manager
--------------------
                        {8bfe8a3b-6f53-11df-9e65-000c765ad370}

Windows Boot Loader
-------------------

Real-mode Boot Sector
---------------------

Real-mode Boot Sector
---------------------
identifier              {8bfe8a3b-6f53-11df-9e65-000c765ad370}
description             2nd Windows XP
The first copy of XP in the first partition load ok but the second copy (in the 3rd primary partition) fails to load with the boot load manager returning the error:-
\NTLDR
0xc000000f
application is missing or corrupt - but NTLDR is in the root of this partition and I have copied over a new copy from the working partition just in case it was corrupt. But the 2nd copy of XP still refuses to load.

Any ideas?
George
Old 06-07-2010, 01:48 PM   #13
TSF Enthusiast

My System

check the boot.ini file. what does it say?

2nd XP is in E: right?

how is the first XP working??? the partition is set to C:, which is the same a VISTA's (C:)
Old 06-07-2010, 02:54 PM   #14
- Microsoft Support

OS: XP, Vista, Seven, & a whole host you would never have heard of.

Hi, set the errant XP partition to C: as well, then at boot you will get the option to boot to all three OS with Vista as the first.(default).This is my dual boot:-(my xp is on P drive)

Old 06-07-2010, 04:15 PM   #15
TSF Enthusiast

My System

@both of you- is "ntldr" on C:\ or on the XP partition as it should be???
Old 06-07-2010, 10:46 PM   #16
- Microsoft Support

OS: XP, Vista, Seven, & a whole host you would never have heard of.

Hi, from EasyBCD help files:- (I had Vista installed first and dual booted with XP my version of BCD was prior and you had to manually point to the same drive as Vista ie C:).

Quote:
EasyBCD configures the Windows Vista bootloader to call NTLDR when you attempt to load a Windows NT-based operating system other than Vista and Longhorn Server.

The "Drive" option in EasyBCD for Windows XP and below does not refer to the drive with Windows XP on it, but rather the system boot drive with NTLDR, NTDETECT.COM, and BOOT.INI

As a result of Microsoft's requiring NTLDR be used to load Windows XP, you cannot use the Vista bootloader to directly enter a Windows XP (and below) installation. Instead, you can only add an entry that displays the NTLDR boot menu from where you can choose which XP (and below) installation to boot into (assuming you have more than one). This is the reason you see two boot menus if you need to multi-boot Windows Vista with more than one "legacy OS."

EasyBCD "greys" the drive field to prevent you from altering it to an incorrect value.(later versions). Don't go using the "change settings" facility to point the BCD at your XP partition because you think EasyBCD "got it wrong". It didn't.

Old 06-08-2010, 03:37 AM   #17
TSF Enthusiast

My System

oh, ok drive C: your system drive for XP, and thanks for the info about NTLDR, i never knew that!

So, with this new information: upload the "boot.ini" from the FIRST XP (the one that works)the file might be in C:\

also your going to need to delete the second XP entry:
Code:
bcdedit /delete {8bfe8a3b-6f53-11df-9e65-000c765ad370}
Old 06-08-2010, 12:52 PM   #18
Registered Member

Hi All,
Many thanks for the replies. Here is an image of the partition on the desktop PC I am attempting to do the XPx2 and Vista multiboot on:-

Now, in the above you will see that:-
1st primary partition is XPHOMEOEM
2nd primary partition is VistaNew
3rd primary partition is XP2
4th partition is used as an extended partition for data etc.

So far, so good. XPHOMEOEM runs fine with the menu I already have as does Vista. But, of course, XP2 will not run - as discussed earlier.

Both the 1st and 3rd partitions have their own copies of ntldr, NTDETECT and boot.ini - see boot.ini contents below.

I have tried almost all options in this - I did at first try to use EasyBCD to access both XP installs - no luck, as they just point to the first bootloader on the 1st partition and therefore only run the 1st copy of XP.

So I read the helpfiles on EasyBCD and thought that XP would be able to sort this out and would provide a secondary menu when reference to the second copy of XP was added manually... but that didn't work either.

Now the general consensus of opinion appears to be on the correct setting of the 1st partition's boot.ini (btw. I did try to get this to run on a floppy with ntldr, NTDETECT and boot.ini but that didn't work either).

1st partition's boot.ini contents - this has been set in XP - I added, from within XP, the last line... that appears to do nothing - I've no idea why the first entry shows up using partition 1 (shouldn't that be 0 and C:?) :-
[boot loader]
timeout=20
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Windows XP on D:\" /fastdetect
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(3)\WINDOWS="Windows XP on F:\" /fastdetect

Thanks for the help,
George
Old 06-08-2010, 01:04 PM   #19
Registered Member

Hi again,

The second copy of XP (ie. in the 3rd partition and labelled XP2) has the following boot.ini contents:-

[boot loader]
timeout=20
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Windows XP on E:\" /fastdetect

Hope this helps with the diagnosis. Thanks.
George
Old 06-08-2010, 03:16 PM   #20
TSF Enthusiast

My System

did you run my code from above (in Vista elevated cmd)??
in the second XP place the NTLDR, NTDETECT.COM, and BOOT.INI in a folder instead of at the root of the drive.