Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Vista won't boot; black screen with cursor appears before log-in

2K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  Nexxtech 
#1 ·
I'm using Vista Home Premium. Last night I just got rid of a virus (Antivirus 2009) and installed a new antivirus program (avast). I restarted a couple times, then went into safe mode, then shut off the computer. This morning I couldn't get it to boot, not even in safe mode. Everytime, it would make it past the loading bars, and then the screen would turn black, and there would just be the cursor there, with the little loading circle flashing.

Can someone tell me what is wrong? Or at least, can someone tell me how to get around this and boot up my computer at least once so that I can try system restore?

#4 ·
Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner I' m busy through the day. Without your specs I can only briefly guide you. If you have been inside your computer before and are somewhat familiar with the layout you should be able to do this.

1. Pull your power supply out.
2. Look for your silver lithium cmos battery, in the general area around the battery case should be a black jumper set to 1,2 with a 3rd pin visible. May say somewhere cmos reset on the board.
3. Remove your battery carefully set your jumper from 1,2 to 2,3. Reinsert your battery wait a minute then set your jumper back to 1,2.
4. Put you case back together reinsert power supply and reboot.

If you have any other questions or if you have a different type of board set up one of the other users online should be able to guide you further. Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.