Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Very VERY Awkward

6K views 75 replies 9 participants last post by  SpywareDr 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
I'm having to re-post via my husband's desktop. The problem I was posting with Aus_Klaus and jcGriff2 has become fatal, I think. I last posted over a week ago (link) with a snippet of the Crystal Blue..(?) analysis that was requested of me. Didn't hear back. The analysis indicated thermal heat problem.

Watched a movie last nite. The screen froze a couple of times. The MBd was showing 68-69deg. I guess I didn't realize the seriousness of this BSOD issues on my computer. But I did think I should clean up the Macrium Reflect Logs which were showing a lot of failed backups. The night before my husband went thru the same steps and cleaned up his desktop and laptop with no problems. However right in the middle of the same cleanup the screen went black. When I tried to restart I got the 'BootMgr Missing' message. Not good! I had just deleted all of Reflect's Log entries getting ready to do a clean Full Backup and schedule the Incremental Backups. When I boot from the USB Flash it takes me into the WinPE version and there are no Source drives anywhere...none to be seen...no partitions. So unless I can get help on finding that missing BootMgr (and hope that by reinstalling it all of the OS will magically reappear) I may have to get help on reinstalling the Win7 Home Premium x64 and suffer the loss of all of my icons, emails in their Thunderbird folders, and only the Lord (and maybe you guys) knows what else. Terrible timing to be housecleaning without a good backup. Can you help?

Also maybe I can access my Thunderbird email from my husband's computer? He has TBd on his but doesn't use it. And Google GMail used to have both his email as well as mine and all we had to do was toggle between the two. Not so now as only his email address comes up regardless of the url (used to be only a digit apart) we try. So I'm in a fix and really need some help on this stuff! Thanks!

What's so awkward is that as a ne

See less See more
#5 ·
'BootMgr Missing' message.
If Macrium Reflect does not see any HDD's This more then likely means your HDD has failed. Which could be the source of your BSOD's, a drive that is failing.
Boot into Setup (Bios) on the Main screen it lists the drives on your computer. Is your HDD listed?

#6 ·
What kind of test should've been run to determine the status of the HDD? We ran a number of them and nothing showed a problem with the HDD.

I tried to boot again from the SanDiskCruzer. There is no option in Setup for continuation into SafeMode. Message on the screen reads...'the boot selection failed because a required device is inaccessible'. There are no drives recognized on the AMD Main Screen.

Isn't this telling us that the OS is corrupted/missing? And aren't there ways short of a reinstall to 'find' that missing BootMgr?

Thanks!

#7 ·
the boot selection failed because a required device is inaccessible'
It's saying the HDD is inaccessible as in, it is unplugged or it has failed.
You can test this theory by removing the HDD from the computer and attaching it via a USB Adapter, or put it into a USB Dock or Enclosure. If the drive doesn't spin up, or it clicks, or it is still not accessible, it has failed and needs to be replaced.

#8 ·
O.K., I'm on my way to the repair shop with the computer. They will do what you've asked to check it out. I'll respond once I learn.

If it is the HDD then the important question is what caused it? This is a computer that is less than 6 months old. Did the overheating caused by the lack of (or insufficient amount) thermal past on the cpu/heat sink components start all of this problem?

#41 ·
O.K., I'm on my way to the repair shop with the computer.
I should like to advise you, in the light of my sad experience, to insist on the repairer backing up all the contents on your hard disk. This can be done by first taking your HD's platters (the individual constituent magnetic disks) off their spindle, and re-assembling them onto a machine of their own for the task. Only one person was enlightened enough to do this for me, and did so free of charge at that!

Ideally, your target (new HD) should be a "warts-and-all" copy of what you had before - although obviously, if there is anything wrong with the file system, or the repairer detects malware, e.g., then it should be professional enough to clean the HD content as necessary and restore the file system and contents. A "quick'n'dirty hoover" won't be enough.

With kind regards,

Adam Warren.

#9 ·
Did the overheating caused by the lack of (or insufficient amount) thermal past on the cpu/heat sink components start all of this problem?
Overheating electronics causes many problems. If someone else was monkeying around in your computer, they may have accidentally unplugged the HDD too.

#10 ·
Really would appreciate a reply. There's been some changes you should know about. The HDD crashed. There's a cheapie PSU in this new computer (a new EGVA 750 gold is coming from the States) and tests show it was failing intermittently. That's all history.

The NOW issue is that a new HDD has been installed along with a new Win7x64 Home Premium OS. There were 233 back updates and I've managed to update about 12 in two days. I thought of doing the Convenience Rollup for Win7 SP1 but when I fist install the April 2015 servicing stack update for Win7 (KB3020369) which is a requirement, it goes searching for Microsoft Updates and of course can't find what it's looking for. I'm stuck. The Updater is simply not working and I don't know what else to do. Please advise...until you do this computer is pretty much an 8cyl vehicle running on 2cyl. Thanks!:banghead:

#11 ·
Updates aren't mandatory. It is best to do all Windows Updates, but the Computer will run fine without them. Because this is the last month for the free Windows 10 Upgrade, Microsoft Servers are very busy doing that and have left Windows 7 back in the dust.
The Windows Catalog site, where the convenience roll up is located, is not loading right now. I imagine Windows Update for Windows 7 will pick up again starting next month once the free Windows 10 upgrade has expired.

#12 ·
After installing the new Win7 OS along with the driver disk that AMD provided when I bought this unit for my wife, I ran PERFMON and SysNative. I am missing some drivers and I'm at a loss as to how that could happen starting with a fresh HDD and OS. I can send these to you if you would analyze them. If so just send me jcGriff2's post with the instructions for getting them to you. I just downloaded PeaZip and I think I can zip them up with that program. I'm a little confused right now because PeaZip is showing my entire desktop. I've never used it before so I'm at a loss as to why that screen is not blank.

Thanks for the reminder on the Win10 matter. This computer would be down and out if I can't get it straighten out with the drivers it needs. And I can't seem to get DriverMax(Professional Lifetime) installed onto this computer so I can have them search for the missing drivers. I can get the freebie but no place to give the product key. And terrible customer support. Like I'm talking to a robot that can't read my problem in plain English. Anyway, thanks for whatever help you can be! Do you want the two analyses?

#13 ·
Go to Start/Search type in devmgmt.msc, Right click the devmgmt results and Run As Administrator. In the Device Manager, are there any devices that have yellow flags? If not, then you do not need any drivers. Only devices with yellow exclamation marks require drivers.
You do not download drivers from a 3rd party app. You go to the motherboard manufactures web site, BIOSTAR :: Motherboard type in your make and model # choose your version of Windows 7 (eg) 32bit or 64bit and download the Chipset driver and install that first. Then any other drivers you need from the Device Manager.

#14 ·
Hi...the Device Manager shows no yellow flags. But now to complicate things, her computer started just flipping off...pop...and totally down. This concerns me because the PSU is the same cheapie that was involved with the crashed HDD a week or so ago. The repair shop tech said it was working o.k...but that the efficiency wasn't what it should be. So I ordered the new PSU (EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G2 80+ Gold). The tech put in a loaner HDD (320GB Seagate) thinking we could replace the HDD in about a month when the new one arrives from the U.S. Now the unit is snapping off every 5 minutes and yesterday it had only 3-4 all day long. So there's a problem that's getting progressively worse. And when the computer was in the shop last week we did download latest Chipset driver and the tech installed it. So can you help? I'm going to have to communicate this way (my own computer) because I'm not sure I could run anything on my wife's without it snapping off.

#15 ·
A computer that shuts off automatically is either overheating or has a failing PSU. If you can get the computer to stay on long enough, you can boot into Setup (Bios) go to PC Health and look at the Temperatures and Voltages. If the Temperatures are too high, Over 60 or 70 degrees C, then you will need to replace the Thermal Paste between the Heat Sync and the Processor.

#16 ·
Good a.m.! Here is what I was able to read from my wife's computer.
CPU: 3800MHz
1.423V
FAN: 4,655-4787rpm
Temp: 61.99C
CPU Clock: 100
I was able to bring her computer up in Safe Mode...and it stayed up??? Then I brought it up in Normal Mode and the first thing I did was do an image of the system and backup using Macrium Reflect...also successful!!! I am going to attempt the sfc /scannow and if it complete then hopefully it will be able to make any necessary repairs? Other thoughts? If that fails I'll take it back into the shop and let them do their own testing of the hardware they installed.

#17 ·
Temp: 61.99C
This temperature is Very warm but not critical yet.
In PC Health, do you see a listing for the +3.5V, and +5.0V voltages. They should be within .5V of those settings. (eg) 5.0v should = 4.8 to 5.3V Anything less or more then that would indicate a failing PSU.
Open the computer case and make sure it is clean of all dust and the fans have been blown out with compressed air. Start the computer and make sure all fans are spinning.

#20 ·
Thanks for that! I had just downloaded HWMonitor and was messing around with the data when I saw your post had come in. I'm attaching their report for you. Hopefully you can make sense of it. Also a snippet of sfc scannow and a temperature report.

It has shutdown only twice today so something has happened. I still don't trust the PSU. The case was opened and it's clean as a whistle and the fan as well...it works.

Attachments

#21 ·
According to HWMon your TMPIN0 is 61 C. Which is hot, but not extreme yet
However the PSU voltages are way off, they should be very close to the representative number. (eg) 3.3 should be very close to 3.3 with a margin of error of + or - of .5 degrees
the +3.3V is 1.95V
The +12V is 4.560V
And the +5V is 2.78V.
Replace this PSU immediately! Do no further testing.

#22 ·
#23 ·
Good stuff! I don't have a manual for this Series 6+ (A58ML2 7.1). Folloowing your link to BIOSTAR...Motherboard I think I located it and printed it out. Can't say honestly I know what to do with it other than to tell you from my knowleddge it was the AMD A55 Chipset. I suppose you've gone there and seen this?

I can't understand how HWMon could possibly read her system wrong??? I was on it prior to it going down for the ump-teenth time. It read her system. Please comment so I can learn from this.

All drivers being for Win8 and Win10 is scaary to me. The new HDD was installed at my local computer repair shop. He seems above average in understanding things but keep in mind (and no disrespect intended...he is Honduuran) and I cannot vouch for his technical prowess. He may have loaded somethings he should not have loaded. You say "All of the drivers are for these other two O/S's?

I appreciate so much the links to Speccy and SpeedFan. I can at least supply that kind of analysis to you guys once I get her system back up and running again. Please tell me what you want me to zero in on and I'll try to send a snippet...or the entire Speccy if you instruct me how to put it into a format that I can send via Tech Support.

#24 ·
I'm actually on my wife's computer (for the moment). It is up and running but for how long?

If we can take another run at the reports you wanted to see then let's give it a try. I'm looking forward to hearing again from you.

I still see no indication of only Win8 or Win10 drivers. Where (how) did you see evidence of this? The OEM disk that came with this new computer clearly states the Series 6+ (if that means anything) and the Windows>System says it is Win7 x64 Home Premium.

Sorry...I must be doing something wrong. I ran the Speccy reports and Saved them to Documents. No trouble finding them for the Reply Thread but even after I've twice uploaded them for your purposes, they don't show up in my Post.??? O.K., I see 'Invalid File'...why?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.