Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows 7 , Windows Vista Support

Using Memorex CD-RW Disks

This is a discussion on Using Memorex CD-RW Disks within the Windows 7 , Windows Vista Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi everybody : I formatted a Memorex CD-RW disk. And then proceeded to transfer data files to this disk. The

Old 05-19-2017, 11:43 AM   #1
Registered Member

Hi everybody :

I formatted a Memorex CD-RW disk. And then proceeded to transfer data files to this disk. The first thing I noticed was that I couldn't "drag-and-drop" files. (I'm backing up my Sketchup projects). When I right-clicked on Drive E, the PASTE option wasn't listed. Before, when I did this same procedure, this option WAS available. I checked the Properties for this disk. Yes....it showed there was a disk in this drive. And that it was a rewritable. I COULD, however, open the file with Sketchup and re-save it...this time to the disk. I checked the disk to see if these files were actually on the disk.....yes they were. I'm not sure what to ckeck to "enable" the drag-and-drop function. I'm using Windows 7 Professional 32-bit. With 3Gb RAM. I'm not sure what other information to include in this message. Thanks
garystan
garystan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-19-2017, 11:58 AM   #2
TSF Team, Emeritus

OS: Windows 10 64 bit, Windows 8 64, Windows 7 64 Bit SP1, XP SP3, Mac OSX 10.11.5

My System

If you are going to be sending files to a backup source, you should use a USB Flash drive, which can be easily formatted, and reused, as well as files drag and dropped there.
RW discs are troublesome. The ability to Format and reuse is limited, and problems will arise. I also found Memorex discs to be lower quality and not compatible with many burners.
If you must use a CD/RW disc, try right clicking the file and choose Send To... CD/RW drive.
spunk.funk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 09:02 PM   #3
Registered Member

spunk.funk :
What I'm going to say isn't to "argue" the point. But.....a while back I WAS able to drag-and-drop files from my Folders to Drive D. (This is in reference to using a CD-RW disk). I tried a different disk, same problem. I DID try a USB drive I had sitting around.....and had no problem with the "drag-and-drop". I'd still like to find out what the problem is. I'm just not sure what to check.
Thanks,
garystan
Old 05-19-2017, 09:29 PM   #4
TSF Enthusiast

I must concur with spunk.funk and agree that using CD-RW disks is courting disaster. I have had VERY poor results with any of these disks, regardless of brand. Simply not a reliable media, ESPECIALLY for backup purposes!

USB flash AND external HDD (at least single redundant storage) for backups is my routine. Lived it - Learned it!

"First get your facts; then you can distort them at your leisure." - Mark Twain

"Remember - HARDWARE is the part of the computer that can be KICKED!" - WIZMO
Wizmo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 04:14 AM   #5
Team Manager - Networking
Moderator - Hardware

My System

Software issue.

I will start by saying I don't recall all of the specifics of how this works.

However, having said that, I don't believe XP natively supported CD-RW media. In addition, in order for RW media to be used in the fashion of drag and drop, you have to be running a type of packet writing software ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Packet_writing ). When this technology was new, the big issue was that there were several makers of this software and they didn't all use the same specs. So if you burned a disc on one computer using software A, it likely wouldn't be useable on another computer using software B. Also, there were often problems even when using the same software if files were frequently added and/or removed.

I remember (trying) to use this technology when it was new, and that was primarily because it was like a continuation of the floppy disc days (only with larger disc sizes) and media was much more expensive when this came out.

As noted above, RW media longevity is questionable, and you often don't know that a disc is faulty until you are trying to recover data. I suggest using write once media (ie: CD-R) or using the RW discs as write once (not multi-session) and verify the data after the burn.

Otherwise, I agree with those above, based on cost and ease of use, USB flash drives are the best solution.

JimE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 04:50 AM   #6
Registered Member

Spunk.funk
Wizmo
Jim E :
Thanks guys for your support. I promise to "stop beating this dead horse". Update----I downloaded Ashampoo disk software. And I was able to back up one folder on my external Hard Drive. Obvious point : I can't write "directly" to a rewritable disk. The USB drives ? I'm definitely thinking about building up a supply of them. I'd probably need a good number of them for backups for different folders.
garystan
Old 05-20-2017, 10:28 AM   #7
TSF Enthusiast

In my experience, the quality and reliability of flash drives is not what it used to be or is supposed to be! I have recently experienced failures of large capacity flash drives of MAJOR BRANDS. I am accumulating a drawer full of them and would NOT trust them to be a sole backup of critical files. Most of my original old ~1GB flash drives still are functional, while quite a few more recent (high capacity) flash drives have failed!

My philosophy is that large capacity HDD's are relatively cheap nowadays and to have more than ONE backup copy of any critical data in safe storage. As a pro photographer who lost over 18 months of work irrecoverably, I learned a valuable, yet HARD lesson. Included in that lost data was the last 12 months of my dad's life before he passed. I had spent innumerable hours documenting his last days activities, and all that was lost in a single failed backup HDD. In short, the cat knocked the drive off the edge of the desk while it was spinning and TRASHED the drive. I had already replaced the original (failed) HDD in the computer, and was merely RESTORING the files back to the new drive when this happened!

Fair warning to the wise! Also, DO NOT keep a backup drive connected to the source system unless backups are being done! An infection by a "virus" or "ransomware" will not only affect the main HDD, but also likely any connected external drive(s) as well!!

Being cautious is FAR better than being sorry!

"First get your facts; then you can distort them at your leisure." - Mark Twain

"Remember - HARDWARE is the part of the computer that can be KICKED!" - WIZMO
Wizmo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 12:14 PM   #8
TSF Team, Emeritus

OS: Windows 10 64 bit, Windows 8 64, Windows 7 64 Bit SP1, XP SP3, Mac OSX 10.11.5

My System

Quote:
I'd probably need a good number of them for backups for different folders.
Why would you get a good number of Flash Drives? You can get One Flash Drive that is up to 64GB in capacity size, which would be 16 DVD discs, that should be able to accommodate most of your folders. You can even create Directories to place the folders in (ie) name it Backup Job (todays date)
As been stated, Flash drives are used primarily as drives to transfer files from One computer to another or as Windows Install Media, they should not be used for Long Term storage.
If your backup files are more then 64GB, or you want a more permanent solution, then you should get a USB HDD, up to 2TB or larger for long term storage. Or use a Cloud service like Google Drive, One Drive, or iCloud.
spunk.funk is online now   Reply With Quote