Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows 7 Support, Windows Vista Support

Using Dual Monitors, and using TV and Computer at the same time

This is a discussion on Using Dual Monitors, and using TV and Computer at the same time within the Windows 7 Support, Windows Vista Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Ok, A few months back, I bought an HP elite m9040n PC. It's got Vista Home Premium. It's one of

Closed Thread

Old 01-20-2008, 09:56 AM   #1
Registered Member

Ok, A few months back, I bought an HP elite m9040n PC. It's got Vista Home Premium. It's one of those media pcs with the TV hookups and all of that. I'm not even sure if it's capable of dual monitors. If anyone knows the answer or can determine that from the motherboard specs please let me know.

But what I'd really like to be able to do is this:

I have a 19 inch monitor that I use for the computer, and a 40 in HDTV which I use for TV obviously. I play a lot of video games and it would be nice to sometimes use my big screen TV for this - I have it hooked up now, it's quite nice with windods Vista. But I also like to have the TV on while I compute. Yes, yes I want the best of both worlds.

So what I want to know is - can I set it up so that sometimes I can compute on Monitor A and watch TV on monitor B, and then make it so I can switch the two without having to fuss with any cables? My DirectTV reciever does have an S video output, and my TV can handle that, but not my monitor. However, my monitor has a DVI input as well as the standard monitor cable.

Confused?? I am. Thanks for the help. I've never used dual monitors before and I'm hoping my computer can handle them.

edit - If this is the wrong forum please feel free to move it. I thought that Vista was appropriate since Windows Media Player comes with Vista.

Old 01-21-2008, 03:46 AM   #2
Registered Member

Perhaps I should simplify my question- can I use dual monitors with my pc? The outputs on the back are 1 DVI, 1 HDMI, and 1 S-Video. I'm currently using the DVI slot with my main monitor and DVI adaptor. So if I get a VGA to HDMI cable can I use dual monitors?