Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

user account problem

1K views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  jenae 
#1 ·
All of a sudden my user account,"Owner", is asking for a password. I don't remember ever having assigned a password there. Also, when I try to log in under "Owner" I get a message " The User Profile service failed to the logon. User Profile cannot be loaded" I don't recall ever having established a profile for this account. I am able to log into another account but I have no data there. All my data is in the user account "Owner". I don't want to establish any more accounts because my data is all in the "Owner" account. I am able to use the internet under the other account but all my Favorites are under the "owner" account. Any ideas?

Glenn

#4 ·
Hi, rich is correct you can copy your old user profile data to the new user profile, I suspect you would like to know why and how?

Windows since 95 has been a Multiple user OS, this means that you, Bob and Mary can share the same computer. Now so each users settings do not conflict with each other we developed a registry that contains settings for each individual user, these are in the HKCU key, and a user is given a unique identifier or SID, these are listed in the HKU key.

Now when windows loads and goes through the loading user process it looks for profiles stored on the computer (a profile is established automatically for each user) the service user profile service (ProfSvc) is what controls this. The profile required is loaded and all should proceed.

Now due to a number of factors this process can fail and windows can not load the profile, thus you receive an error message, how you fix this very much depends on the error message, typically there are two:-

Your user profile was not loaded correctly! You have been logged on with a temporary profile.

OR

The user profile service failed the logon. User profile cannot be loaded.

From your post it appears that the second message was what you received, now there are a number of ways to fix this, really depends on your computer skills. The easiest is to follow a well written tutorial (this problem is quite common)

NOTE If the message was different please post back with the full message.

The User Profile Service failed the logon. User profile cannot be loaded.

#5 ·
Thanks for the help. I will try to do the fix. I called in to Best Buy Geek Squad and they think it may be an infection. $30 to fix the account problem, and/or $200 to fix the infection. I will start with the winzip registry fix and then go on from there if needed.
Glenn

#6 ·
If you you need help with cleaning out malware, you can follow our pre-posting process outlined here:

NEW INSTRUCTIONS - Read This Before Posting For Malware Removal Help - Tech Support Forum

After running through all the steps, please post the requested logs in the Virus/Trojan/Spyware Help forum, not here.

If you have trouble with one of the steps, simply move on to the next one, and make note of it in your reply.

Please note that the Virus/Trojan/Spyware Help forum is extremely busy, and it may take a while to receive a reply.

#7 ·
OK, I have been working on this most of the day(except I took an exercise run on my snowshoes- we have 30" of new snow here in central New York). Here is what I have found so far:
1. I downloaded Winzip Registry Optimizer. It won't run in normal mode(presumably because I can't sign on as an administrator). In safe mode, it doesn't seem to recognize it.

2. In safe mode I can't get regedit, it doesn't seem to know about it.

3. I did the regedit in normal mode, as a non-administrator user. I found 3 S-1-5 folders:
S-1-5-21-------------1000
S-1-5-21--------------1000bak
S-1-5-21--------------1003

Nothing worked, presumably because I was logged in as a non-administrator.

4.In safe mode, I can click on computer, then OS(C:) and go down to documents and see all my documents/files. Glad to know at least they are still there.

5. I can see "my pictures " in non-admin role but not in safe mode. The Windows Photo Viewer does not work in safe mode.

6. Cannot access internet and email in safe mode, the firefox icon isn't there.

Will continue to work away at this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.