Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows 7 Support, Windows Vista Support

upgrading from 32-bit to 64-bit

This is a discussion on upgrading from 32-bit to 64-bit within the Windows 7 Support, Windows Vista Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. good day, im planning to upgrade my windows 7 32-bit to a 64-bit OS. how can i do it by

Closed Thread

Old 03-19-2012, 11:25 PM   #1
Registered Member

good day, im planning to upgrade my windows 7 32-bit to a 64-bit OS.
how can i do it by not losing all my files in hard disk, by not using a external hard drive or burning all my files in a dvd.

my hard drive is 500gb. installed items are 200gb so i have extra 300gb free.
is it safe to have a partition in my hard drive without losing all its data.
thank you in advance....

Old 03-20-2012, 01:57 AM   #2
TSF Team, Emeritus

OS: Windows 8 64, Windows 7 64 Bit SP1, XP SP3, Mac OSX

My System

You cannot Upgrade your OS from 32 Bit to 64 Bit you need to do a clean install. You can create a Partition to install Windows 7 64 bit. You will still need to reinstall all of your programs into the new partition to access them in the 64 bit OS. Then you can dual boot. Choosing to either boot to 32 bit Windows or 64 bit.
It's better to backup your data to an external Drive and do a Clean Install of 7 64bit on the C: drive.

Old 03-20-2012, 02:37 AM   #3
Certifiable Lazy Bum

Send a message via Yahoo to sobeit

see the following on how to partition your drive.

Resize a Partition for Free in Windows 7 or Vista - How-To Geek

Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Count to a million...
The aim of the game is... ...to count to a million. You count in 3s... Each poster posts their number like below (to avoid the "your post is too small")... 1, 2, 3,
Redeye3323 Forum Games and Jokes 18328 Today 08:52 AM
Unable to download Updates
My Toshiba (satelite) laptop was allowing update downloads but suddenly stopped. I have not been able to get the downloads updated successfully on the laptop after several attempts. The download looks ok but fails. I have tried Auto and other types of downloads to see if it makes any difference. No...
hidat Windows 7 Support, Windows Vista Support 21 03-28-2012 08:21 PM
[SOLVED] Problems connecting to the internet.
For the past month or two I have been having some problems connecting to the internet on my computer of 6 years everything works fine its running windows 7 and I have no problems but now every time I turn my computer on the first application to connect to the internet is the only one that can...
luionline Networking Support 3 03-20-2012 05:49 PM
How to generat business
Hi all, I have a question, after deployment how to generate business from the website? My website providing information about the rights of employees, different regulations and acts and government policies about individuals. My website having 10-15 visitors a day, no profit from it, domain going...
Jessica1234 Web Serving and Management 1 03-20-2012 09:01 AM
[SOLVED] Blue screen when trying to fresh install Windows
Trying to install Windows XP home on a Dell system w/ a brand new drive. Drivers start to load OK, then it says "setup is starting Windows", then the screen goes black for an instant, then a blue screen. It blue screens at this same point every time. I've tried a different Windows CD. Same...
Blade_Jones Windows XP Support 2 03-20-2012 12:06 AM