Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Unallocated Space Problem

9K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  Ilpav 
#1 ·
I was running Vista and created a new 78GB partition to install Windows 7 on it. I installed Windows 7, deleted the old Vista partition, and now I just have a 78 GB partition with Windows 7 installed and 378 GB of unallocated space.

I would like the Windows 7 partition to have access to the whole 500 HDD, not just 78GB.

Thanks.

See less See more
#2 ·
Hello

well what you done as you said was Delete the Partition and not reformat so its blank has not sign no name you clould say

this is simple to fix really

1. you could use the windows vista / windows 7 disk start the computer up and run from disk like if you was going to format/install windows again click all the buttons till you get to the Partition Wizard you will see unused space and the Partition you have windows 7 on simply click on the unsigned space the 500gb i think it was and click create or format can't remember what one it is but any one of them just be 100% and check this that you are clicked on the free space and not the Partition with windows installed on it

this will allow you to use the space to put your files in i would say you should do this as if at any time you need to reformat your computer you can just back up your files on the 2nd Partition as it will not get wiped when installing new OS

or

2. you can get a Partition Wizard program and there is a option to combine 2 Partitions into 1 or split 1 into 2 or if you not botherd you can just get the program and use it to format the unsigned space instead of useing a windows setup disk

my self i use Partition Wizard Home Edition you can get this here http://www.partitionwizard.com/free-partition-manager.html

this is the only one i found that i liked and is 100% free the rest was trails that would not let you apply changes

i hope this helps let us no if this fixes your problem i will look back to see if you done it ok

#3 ·
The windows partition manager in vista/7 can expand partitions into adjacent unallocated space, but ONLY if the unallocated space comes AFTER the partition to be expanded. To expand into space before the partition, you'll need a third-party disk utility. EASEUS Partition Manager is one such utility. http://www.partition-tool.com/

The only other alternative is to bite the bullet and delete your present Windows partition and then reload Windows so it uses all available space.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.