Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

UAC - User Account Control will not allow any entry into the Password Box.

3K views 5 replies 2 participants last post by  billkealey1 
#1 ·
Hello, I am new here and have searched previous Post and Threads without success for this problem. This is on my sons computer which is a CompaQ Presario PC with INtel Pentium Dual Core Processor E2140. It is using Windows Vista Home Premium. I do not know, nor does he, if it has any updated Service Packs.

For some time now, and I have no idea how long as he recently brought it to my attention, Vista request a password in the UAC but will not allow ANY charactors to be typed in. It demands the password to do any changes to the computer and to run many programs.

I was successful today in changing my administrator password but still Vista will not allow me to enter the password into the UAC so changing the password did nothing. I am going to go back after posting this and see if I can again change the password leaving it blank. However, attempting to turn off the password failed. Logging on as guest also requires the password to be entered but will not accept any charactors at all to be entered.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you, Bill K.

#3 ·
are you able to log in to your administrative account (the account that is an administrator)?

#4 ·
Everything looked normal. I was able to log into each account on the computer. I thought I had changed my personal password as noted in my original post. The User Settings window advised that the new password had been accepted. However, the new password at the next log in would not work when I went back later and rebooted the system. Entering the old password would let me log in.

I finally gave up as I was in a hurry to correct the issue so that my son could again install programs and other things that demanded a password.

Last evening I backed up the system ... again just to make sure the first time did it right ... <grin> and used the system repair feature to put everything back to the original settings. I have spent most of today playing with it. It all seems to work properly but is still a lot slower than my Toshiba notebook with 64 bit Vista, when it comes to opening web pages. I believe this can be tweaked when I have more time.

Thanks for the fast reply. Sorry I could not wait to play with it. I am an old investigator and really prefer exploring problems and looking for solutions rather than just giving up and replacing the problem.

Bill

#5 ·
your account, the one that can install games, programs and of the like, are you able to log into it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.