Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows 7 Support, Windows Vista Support

Two computer icons/folders on my desktop, need help!

This is a discussion on Two computer icons/folders on my desktop, need help! within the Windows 7 Support, Windows Vista Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi, good afternoon. I realized this too late and system restore doesn't seem to fix it given that I've had

Old 07-28-2013, 09:09 PM   #1
Registered Member

Hi, good afternoon.

I realized this too late and system restore doesn't seem to fix it given that I've had this for at least a few weeks. When I go to desktop, I have two computer folders! But only one looks like the real one, with that blue computer like icon and contains my hard disk drive, etc. The other one looks like a normal folder except with a little person icon. It's like a user icon, the one that usually has your computer name, like Rogers Computer or something. And that makes sense because inside the folder is my downloads docs music videos etc.

When I click on my computer on right side in startup thing, it does take me the right computer folder. So I don't know what this user type folder do. How do I know I"ve had it for a while? Last couple of times I tried to do back up to my ext HD Drive, my username folder would not show up, so there was no Rogers Computer folder. I ended up being unable to use the WD smartware to back up my work to my WD ext hard drive because like I said I could not find my user folder. And now that makes sense. Of course if I go to my computer folder (the real one), click it, then click C, then users, I can find the Rogers Computer folder but it does not have any person icon on it. It does have a little lock icon, not sure if that means anything. If I click it, I get the same content that I do when I click that fake computer folder on desktop.

I tried to delete the icon, but won't let me even after restart or restore. When I say right click delete, little icon with white page and small black cross at left bottom shows up asking me if I want to delete the "computer icon" from desktip and I say yes but nothign happens.

When I right click the fake computer folder btw, it does not have properties. It only allows me to open, open in new window, include in library, copy, create shortcut, delete. If I try to drag it to, say, my downloads folder, it also won't let me. Nor will it allow me to rename it.

Sorry for my explanations, I suck at computers, I also included a picture to show you. The highlighted one is the normal computer and the one above is the fake computer folder, as I call it.

Thanks so much for all your help appreciate it.

Old 07-29-2013, 09:59 AM   #2
Microsoft MVP
- Hardware Team
- Articles Team
- Microsoft Support

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

OS: Windows 7 64bit Professional (SP1), Windows 8.1 64bit

My System

Hi and Welcome to TSF!

What is the PC name? What did you name it when you first got it?

Try running this:

Diagnose and repair Windows File and Folder Problems automatically

Intel, NVidia, Xbox One, Android, Gigabyte
Masterchiefxx17 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 03:04 PM   #3
TSF Team, Emeritus

OS: Windows 8 64, Windows 7 64 Bit SP1, XP SP3, Mac OSX

My System

Enable the Hidden Administrator account: Enable the (Hidden) Administrator Account on Windows 7 or Vista
Log out of your profile and log in as Administrator.
Browse to C:\Users your user name profile open Desktop try deleting the folder now.
spunk.funk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 06:35 AM   #4
Registered Member

thank you very much for the replies. The computer is named Roger. Or Rogers Computer, can't remember which I named it originally. But it was never named just "computer." I am currently attempting both solutions and will let you guys know how it goes. Thanks again. :)
Old 07-30-2013, 06:51 AM   #5
Registered Member

I did the first one, and it said recycle bin was corrupt, and fixed it but other than that all being fine and I tried deleting that computer folder and could not.

I then tried the second suggestion, and this time the second computer folder (with that person or user icon or whatever that is) still showed up on the desktop but now it was not called "computer" but something like "administrator's system files" but still it could not be deleted.
Old 07-30-2013, 09:56 AM   #6
Microsoft MVP
- Hardware Team
- Articles Team
- Microsoft Support

My System

Does it show up in Safe Mode?

Go to Start > Type CMD > Right Click on Command Prompt and press Run as Admin. > In the popup type: SFC /scannow
Old 08-01-2013, 05:18 AM   #7
Registered Member

yes, thanks for the followup. I did that command in the safemode, not sure what it is actually, but no problem was reported.
Old 08-01-2013, 10:08 AM   #8
Microsoft MVP
- Hardware Team
- Articles Team
- Microsoft Support

My System

Do you have any other PCs in the house that would be named Computer?

What if your Antivirus?
Old 08-01-2013, 04:04 PM   #9
- Microsoft Support

OS: XP, Vista, Seven, & a whole host you would never have heard of.

Hi, most likely a namespace problem, go to start search and type regedit right click on the returned regedit.exe and select "run as administrator". Registry editor will open.

Navigate to:- HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\explorer\Desktop, highlight this key then go to the file menu and select "export" save as desk.reg and save to desktop (this will give us a backup).

Now back to the key:-
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\explorer\Desktop\Namespace under the sub key Namespace you will see a long list of Gui's looks like this:-
\{F02C1A0D-BE21-4350-88B0-7367FC96EF3C}, highlight each one and in the right payne it will tell you what they are (for example this one is computer and devices) if you locate the errant entry highlight the Gui and right click select delete.If you find this Gui \{98D99750-0B8A-4c59-9151-589053683D73} it is most likely the culprit, delete it.

You could also try to flush the Icon Cache go to start search and type:- cmd right click on the returned cmd.exe and select "run as administrator" at the prompt type:-

taskkill /im explorer.exe /f (press enter) Your desktop will go blank.

Now type each line and press enter after each line.
Note the spaces.

CD %USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local

attrib -h IconCache.db

del IconCache.db

explorer.exe

Let us know how you get on.

jenae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 09:31 PM   #10
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masterchiefxx17 View Post
Do you have any other PCs in the house that would be named Computer?

What if your Antivirus?
No.

Second question, I have Microsoft's Security Essentials.
Old 08-02-2013, 10:11 AM   #11
Microsoft MVP
- Hardware Team
- Articles Team
- Microsoft Support

My System

Try what Jenae suggested.
Old 08-03-2013, 05:04 AM   #12
Registered Member

jenae, thanks for the detailed instructions. I did the second method, and yes the desktop went blank but then came back on and the problem still there. Of course the desktop is not exactly like it used to be. Now I also have control panel there and computer (the correct one) and network, in addition to several shortcuts from before (games, download manager, etc).

I did not do the first method cause I'm worried it'll mess up my system.
Are you sure it's safe? Because I did not find an entry for that computer one, but I did find the one GUI "98D99750-0B8A-4c59-9151-589053683D73" you mentioned. However it says it's media center extension or something like that...shouldn't have closed it as now I can't remember the exact description.

EDIT: something odd happened. Previous to flushing icon cache, in this location ( Computer/ C: / Users) I had Roger Computer, Public, and Updatususer, with only Roger Computer having a lock icon next to it. Now Updatususer also has one! I don't remember what used to be in there but now when I click that, there is only one folder, and it's called desktop. I click that and there are just three shortcuts to MSN games, DJView, and GTR 2 (game).
Old 08-03-2013, 06:19 AM   #13
Registered Member

ok try this right click on desktop, click on personalize, next click on change desktop icons.

make sure computer, user files and recycle bin are selected. also in the icons below the user name folder is a folder with a person next to it if not click on change icon or restore default then click apply.