Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

touchpad has stopped working

2K views 12 replies 4 participants last post by  MPR 
#1 ·
Hello, I've just done a windows update and my touchpad has stopped working.I've tried a system restore before the update but it didn't help.Ive checked the mouse properties but there was nothing listed under devices and i've looked at device manager but there's no category for mouses and other pointing devices.Can anyone help please?Paul

#2 ·
What is the make and model# of your laptop?
Boot into Setup (Bios) go to Integrated Peripherals and look for Touch Pad, if it is Disabled, Enable it.
boot normally, and go to the computer manufacturers Support/Download drivers site and type in your make and model # or your service tag # and download the touchpad driver for your model.

#3 ·
The laptop is a toshiba satellite C660.I downloaded the 1 driver update they had but after i'd installed it i went to mouse in control panel and a pop up appeared saying "Unable to connect to the synaptics pointing device driver.If you have installed another ps/2 pointing device driver please uninstall the synaptics driver by clicking on the yes button you then need to reinstall your pointing device driver for your external device again".I tried to install it twice i also booted into bios to make sure it's enabled.

#5 ·
You might try going to Start, typing "msconfig" and then right-clicking it and selecting "run as administrator." See if the touchpad driver is enabled at startup.

Also, run "devmgmt" as an administrator and look for any yellow exclamation marks, make sure to expand collapsed sections.

Running "sfc/scannow" from an elevated admin command prompt probably wouldn't hurt either.

If you can't find a setting or driver solution after you have explores the issue thoroughly), the problem may be with the hardware itself, which is hopefully limited to a cable that came lose of the touchpad device. The touchpad for your system includes the keyboard's base and will run about $55. Replacement is pretty straightforward (though it entails keeping track of about two dozen tiny screws) and there are several references and videos that can assist you.

#10 ·
It's win 64.I've already downloaded and installed the link you supplied but i did again anyway.I'm getting the same message when i go to mouse in control panel which is "Unable to connect to the synaptics pointing device driver.If you have installed another ps/2 pointing device driver please uninstall the synaptics driver by clicking on the yes button you then to reinstall your pointing device driver for your external device again".Also in device manager the status of the device is "This device is not present,is not working properly,or does not have all all it's drivers installed (Code 24).

#13 · (Edited by Moderator)
Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.