Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Touchpad buttons dont work...

9K views 21 replies 3 participants last post by  gaogier 
#1 ·
I phoned up the support people, they said that they want me to do a full system recovery, (i can not do this...)

My problem is, I use the touchpad/USB mouse on and off, depending where i am.

Last night i was at my desk, and I plugged in my mouse, When i moved to somewhere comfortable, I unplugged my mouse, and now my touchpad's buttons (left and right) dont work, well they do, but they work as the scroll button (open things in tabs ect)

What can i do to fix this problem? I was told that i need to do a full system recovery to see if its a hardware problem. This has never happened before.

The laptop is a Compaq Presario C700 and I have had it since december.

I can backup by documents, but I need my software... (in total, easily £5000, but no serials(got serials over phone), so i cant get new ones...)

#5 ·

Hi...

Check Device Manager for red/yellow flags.

Check Windows updates - anything during that time?

Check the dates on these drivers:

C:\Windows\System32\drivers\mouclass.sys
C:\Windows\System32\drivers\mouhid.sys

C:\Windows\System32\drivers\i8042prt.sys

Are they 3/11/08 or 2006?

Regards. . .

jcgriff2

#6 ·
Check Device Manager for red/yellow flags. - Where are they?

Check Windows updates - anything during that time? Nope

Check the dates on these drivers:

C:\Windows\System32\drivers\mouclass.sys - 14/02/2008
C:\Windows\System32\drivers\mouhid.sys - 14/02/2008
C:\Windows\System32\drivers\i8042prt.sys - 14/02/2008

#9 ·

Hi. . .

See if this brings up the same mouse screen as you got into through Control Panel:

Bring up an Elevated command prompt via:
START | type cmd into the start search box | right-click on cmd.exe | select "Run as Administrator" | next to the prompt type main.cpl press enter

Regards. . .

jcgriff2

#11 ·
Hi. . .

Let's try the system file checker/repair

Bring up an Elevated command prompt via:
START | type cmd into the start search box | right-click on cmd (cmd.exe) | select "Run as Administrator"

then in the command prompt (DOS) box type:

sfc /scannow

hit enter

let it run - +/- 10/15.. min

JC

#12 ·
It came back with the following

Beginning verification phase of system scan

verification 100% complete, Windows Resources found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them.
Details was included in the CBS.log windir\logs\CBS\CBS.log for example
c:\windows\logs\CBS\CBS.log

#17 ·
I have worked out something, are working as if both my buttons are being pushed...

What would course this?

I thought they could be getting stuck, so taken both buttons off, i can see they are not getting stuck and pushed down together...

what can i do?

#18 ·
Hi. . .

Got your PM - apologies about the file permission settings preventing you from getting that cbs log info - try this:

Bring up an ELEVATED command prompt START | type cmd.exe | right-click on cmd.exe up top | select Run as Administrator | respond to User Access Control prompt.

Now... copy and paste the following into the "DOS" command prompt box (you may have to move the mouse to the top of the box and right-click then select Edit then paste) -

findstr /c:"[SR] Cannot repair member file" c:\windows\logs\cbs\cbs.log > C:\$cbs-log-0425-08.txt & start notepad C:\$cbs-log-0425-08.txt

A notepad will open when it completes - just a second or so - then copy and paste the results in your next post.

regards. . .

jcgriff2

#21 ·
Hi. . .

I have re-tested that command and it does bring up entries from the cbs log file - if they exist. Some test results:

Code:
2008-04-16 15:08:46, Info                  CSI    0000006f [SR] Cannot repair member file [l:20{10}]"artuic.h1s" of Microsoft-Windows-Help-Artuic.Resources, Version = 6.0.6000.16386, pA = PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE_INTEL (0), Culture = [l:10{5}]"en-US", VersionScope = 1 nonSxS, PublicKeyToken = {l:8 b:31bf3856ad364e35}, Type neutral, TypeName neutral, PublicKey neutral in the store, hash mismatch
2008-04-16 15:08:48, Info                  CSI    00000071 [SR] Cannot repair member file [l:20{10}]"artuic.h1s" of Microsoft-Windows-Help-Artuic.Resources, Version = 6.0.6000.16386, pA = PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE_INTEL (0), Culture = [l:10{5}]"en-US", VersionScope = 1 nonSxS, PublicKeyToken = {l:8 b:31bf3856ad364e35}, Type neutral, TypeName neutral, PublicKey neutral in the store, hash mismatch
If you bring 2 Windows Explorer screens side-by side and copy the log from the cbs folder to your desktop then you can zip the entire log and I will extract what I can from it.

I believe based on recent situations - including my own - that a re-format and re-install of Vista may be of little use here.

regards. . .

jcgriff2

#22 ·
As i was reinstalling vista, the buttons worked...

When vista loaded again, the problem came back.

I now have to phone up compaq, and request a new disk, as the backup/restore files are also damaged.

I was told not to back it up to CD by the tech guys...

At least this shows there is no hardware problems...

No idea what caused this, i only go on websites i trust and have gone on for 5 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.