Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows 7 Support, Windows Vista Support

Too late to make recovery disks?

This is a discussion on Too late to make recovery disks? within the Windows 7 Support, Windows Vista Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I just got a new laptop, but I forgot to make the recovery disk right away. I've changed an awful

Closed Thread

Old 10-02-2010, 03:40 AM   #1
Registered Member

My System

Question

I just got a new laptop, but I forgot to make the recovery disk right away. I've changed an awful lot of stuff since I got the laptop, plus, I'm leaving early this morning for a work-related trip, and don't see getting disks made anytime in the next week, due to location and craziness of work.

What I'm wondering is this: how much does it matter if I make recovery disks a week after I purchased my new laptop?? Is that a big no-no?

To be honest, I don't really understand what they're for....the last 3 laptops I've had have all been lemons, and I've tried to restore them to out-of-box in attempts to fix their problems, but I've always been instructed by customer care to restore just using the computer's own Restore Wizard.

At any rate, I'm sure Recovery Disks are a good things to have, so I hope I didn't mess up.

Thank you very much for your help and ideas. :-)

Old 10-02-2010, 06:03 AM   #2
TSF Team Emeritus
Microsoft MVP

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

It doesn't matter when you make them - as long as you make them before a situation comes up where you'll need them.

At work we use the recovery partition on the hard drive rather than the recovery disks - this is because it goes faster.

We use the recovery disks if the recovery partition doesn't work - or if we replace the hard drive.

Old 10-06-2010, 01:43 AM   #3
Registered Member

My System

Thank you for your answer. That's good to know!

As it turned out, I had to return the laptop that that was an issue for (I realized that my supposesdly "new" laptop had deep sctaches in the lid), but, it is still good to know that, in case the situation comes up again.

Thanks!