Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows 7 Support, Windows Vista Support

This File does not have a program associated with it for performing this action.

This is a discussion on This File does not have a program associated with it for performing this action. within the Windows 7 Support, Windows Vista Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. (Create an association in the Set Association control Panel) Hey, I recently had Vista Guardian on my computer and manually

Closed Thread

Old 02-18-2010, 07:49 AM   #1
Registered Member

(Create an association in the Set Association control Panel)

Hey, I recently had Vista Guardian on my computer and manually deleted the files for it in regedit.However, i think i might have deleted something else as well, because now i cant open any programs on my laptop. My computer says that this file needs an associated program for it to work. I've read a couple of threads stating to go into RUN then type Command.exe but it still wont let me do this. I then tried Command.com and it worked, but when i type regedit.exe regedit.cm it still comes up with that popup.

i think i know what to do because i read a guys post who was having simliar problems

If Registry Editor opened successfully, navigate to the following key:
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT \ exefile \ shell \ open \ command.
Double-click the (Default) value in the right hand pane and delete the current value data, and then type:
"%1" %* exactly as shown including the quotes and asterisk.
Navigate to HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.exe
In the right-hand pane, set (default) to exefile
Exit the Registry Editor.

But i can't get into my regedit, any ideas?

(i Also cant do system restore as i have no restore points)

Old 02-18-2010, 12:14 PM   #2
Alternative Computing

OS: Linux Mint 16 Petra (KDE), Arch Linux, Ubuntu 13.10 Raspberry Pi Model B (running Raspmc)

My System

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilsonDean View Post
(Create an association in the Set Association control Panel)

Hey, I recently had Vista Guardian on my computer and manually deleted the files for it in regedit.However, i think i might have deleted something else as well, because now i cant open any programs on my laptop. My computer says that this file needs an associated program for it to work. I've read a couple of threads stating to go into RUN then type Command.exe but it still wont let me do this. I then tried Command.com and it worked, but when i type regedit.exe regedit.cm it still comes up with that popup.

i think i know what to do because i read a guys post who was having simliar problems

If Registry Editor opened successfully, navigate to the following key:
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT \ exefile \ shell \ open \ command.
Double-click the (Default) value in the right hand pane and delete the current value data, and then type:
"%1" %* exactly as shown including the quotes and asterisk.
Navigate to HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.exe
In the right-hand pane, set (default) to exefile
Exit the Registry Editor.

But i can't get into my regedit, any ideas?

(i Also cant do system restore as i have no restore points)

Its a re-install for you then - no restore points, no reg backups and youre re-installing. Never mess with the registry unless you know what youre doing,
even if you do know, it is prudent to create either an offline copy of your registry hives - or create a restore point.

Unless someone has a miraculous solution its a reinstall from CD for you.

Old 02-19-2010, 02:44 AM   #3
Registered Member

Thnaks, if i was going to ask a technician is that all i would ask for a re-install cd, and how much to think it would cost?
Old 02-19-2010, 08:29 AM   #4
TSF Team Emeritus
Visiting Expert | Microsoft Support Team

OS: Windows 7 SP1 (x64), XP Home (x32), Ubuntu 10.10, Fedora 14

My System

Send a message via MSN to DT Roberts Send a message via Skype™ to DT Roberts

Don't go buy a reinstallation CD yet; they're quite expensive. There are some things that we can try.

This has been happening often in the last few days. Try following the steps here: http://www.techsupportforum.com/f217...ml#post2594932
Closed Thread