Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows 7 Support, Windows Vista Support

this file does not have a program associated with it for performing this act

This is a discussion on this file does not have a program associated with it for performing this act within the Windows 7 Support, Windows Vista Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi, The title says it all, ive looked all over for a solution but non of them are really helpful

Closed Thread

Old 02-22-2012, 08:24 AM   #1
Registered Member

Hi,

The title says it all, ive looked all over for a solution but non of them are really helpful because when i click start, run and type cmd in the box and press OK the message appears again and i cant use most of my files and programs, i can use some when run as administrator, anyone know a fix to this problem.
Any help or advice will be greatly appreciated.

Old 02-22-2012, 08:57 AM   #2
TSF Enthusiast

Not sure if this path is available in Vista (Win7 user), but if you go Start >> Computer >> Right click on Windows (C:) >> Properties >> Tools >> Check now button and ensure both buttons are ticked >> Start.

This will perform a chkdsk on reboot and will recover files and repair bad HDD sectors where it can.

EDIT
Found this for Vista which appears to be the equivalent and alternative to running the chkdsk from the cmd prompt. How to Run Chkdsk Utility on Vista | eHow.com

Old 02-22-2012, 09:21 AM   #3
Registered Member

Thanks Tomken15, but still no luck, when i tried the first route you suggested it said 'windows cant check disk when its in use'. When I tried the route via the link to the website all I got when I typed cmd in the box is: 'this file does not have a program associated with it for performing this act...', its the same problem i had before.
Old 02-22-2012, 09:37 AM   #4
- Microsoft Support

OS: Windows 8.1 64bit/Ubuntu 14 LTS 64bit via Vm Player

My System

Go the the file(s) in question. Right click on it select properties "Open With or Change" select the proper program to open the file with. Then click "OK"

Virus Help
Ubuntu Live CD
PC Running Slow?
Memtest
UBCD
Remember dust buildup in your PC can be a killer!!
Old 02-22-2012, 09:49 AM   #5
TSF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwramzan View Post
Thanks Tomken15, but still no luck, when i tried the first route you suggested it said 'windows cant check disk when its in use'. When I tried the route via the link to the website all I got when I typed cmd in the box is: 'this file does not have a program associated with it for performing this act...', its the same problem i had before.
Apologies, it was the second option I was referring you to

Access Chkdsk Through Windows Explore
  • 1Place your mouse over the "Start" button and right-click to invoke a set of menu options. Click on "Explore" to open the Explore filemanagement system.

• 2Select the hard drive letter for which you want to run the Chkdsk utility. Right-click on the driver letter to invoke a set of menu options and select "Properties."

• 3Click on the "Tools" tab in the "Properties" window. Under the "Error-Checking" section of the window, click the "Check Now" button. If you have User Account Controls enabled, a window will pop up asking permission to continue. Click "Continue."

• 4Decide if you want Chkdsk to "Automatically fix file system errors" and to "Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors," and click "Start."

• 5Chkdsk will not run if your Windows Vista computer is in use, therefore it will request you to schedule Chkdsk. If you click "Schedule Check Disk," it will run the next time you boot your computer before Windows is actually loaded. Turn off the computer and then turn it back on. At that point Chkdsk will run.

Read more: How to Run Chkdsk Utility on Vista | eHow.com How to Run Chkdsk Utility on Vista | eHow.com
Old 02-22-2012, 11:31 PM   #6
- Microsoft Support

OS: XP, Vista, Seven, & a whole host you would never have heard of.

Hi, chkdsk/r should NOT be run in this case you risk losing data. A chkdsk/f could be run however it will not fix your problem. Your problem relates to file associations. If you go to all programs accessories and right click on notepad select "run as administrator" it should open.

Copy all below (in code box) into notepad then in notepad menu select "File" then "save as" in the box make sure "all files" is selected(drop down) and call it Exe.reg save to desktop. Locate the file and double click it, agree to add to registry. Restart computer. (this returns to defaults and is perfectly safe)

Code:
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[-HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.exe]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.exe]
@="exefile"
"Content Type"="application/x-msdownload"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.exe\PersistentHandler]
@="{098f2470-bae0-11cd-b579-08002b30bfeb}"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile]
@="Application"
"EditFlags"=hex:38,07,00,00
"FriendlyTypeName"=hex(2):40,00,25,00,53,00,79,00,73,00,74,00,65,00,6d,00,52,\
  00,6f,00,6f,00,74,00,25,00,5c,00,53,00,79,00,73,00,74,00,65,00,6d,00,33,00,\
  32,00,5c,00,73,00,68,00,65,00,6c,00,6c,00,33,00,32,00,2e,00,64,00,6c,00,6c,\
  00,2c,00,2d,00,31,00,30,00,31,00,35,00,36,00,00,00

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile\DefaultIcon]
@="%1"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile\shell]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile\shell\open]
"EditFlags"=hex:00,00,00,00

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile\shell\open\command]
@="\"%1\" %*"
"IsolatedCommand"="\"%1\" %*"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile\shell\runas]
"HasLUAShield"=""

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile\shell\runas\command]
@="\"%1\" %*"
"IsolatedCommand"="\"%1\" %*"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile\shell\runasuser]
@="@shell32.dll,-50944"
"Extended"=""
"SuppressionPolicyEx"="{F211AA05-D4DF-4370-A2A0-9F19C09756A7}"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile\shell\runasuser\command]
"DelegateExecute"="{ea72d00e-4960-42fa-ba92-7792a7944c1d}"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile\shellex]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers]
@="Compatibility"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers\Compatibility]
@="{1d27f844-3a1f-4410-85ac-14651078412d}"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile\shellex\DropHandler]
@="{86C86720-42A0-1069-A2E8-08002B30309D}"

[-HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\SystemFileAssociations\.exe]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\SystemFileAssociations\.exe]
"FullDetails"="prop:System.PropGroup.Description;System.FileDescription;System.ItemTypeText;System.FileVersion;System.Software.ProductName;System.Software.ProductVersion;System.Copyright;*System.Category;*System.Comment;System.Size;System.DateModified;System.Language;*System.Trademarks;*System.OriginalFileName"
"InfoTip"="prop:System.FileDescription;System.Company;System.FileVersion;System.DateCreated;System.Size"
"TileInfo"="prop:System.FileDescription;System.Company;System.FileVersion;System.DateCreated;System.Size"

[-HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.exe]

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.exe]

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.exe\OpenWithList]

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.exe\OpenWithProgids]
"exefile"=hex(0):

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\.exe]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\.exe]
@="exefile"
"Content Type"="application/x-msdownload"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\.exe\PersistentHandler]
@="{098f2470-bae0-11cd-b579-08002b30bfeb}"

Old 02-23-2012, 04:15 AM   #7
Registered Member

Thanks Jenae, it has worked and my computer is working fine now. I really appreciate the help and once again thanks.
Old 02-23-2012, 04:17 AM   #8
Registered Member

Thanks Tomken15 for all your support ive managed to fix the problem now.

Many Thanks.
Old 02-23-2012, 02:20 PM   #9
TSF Enthusiast

Glad jenae was able help and got it sorted for you.

I'm still on a learning curve myself and have learned something new from this thread.

As for ticking the "Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors" box, I should have deleted that bit as I knew that where it can't recover them, data will be lost. Sorry for that.