Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows 7 Support, Windows Vista Support

Telnet disconnects in 40 to 50 seconds of inactivity on Win 7

This is a discussion on Telnet disconnects in 40 to 50 seconds of inactivity on Win 7 within the Windows 7 Support, Windows Vista Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Telnet disconnects in 40 to 50 seconds of inactivity on my Win 7 Laptop. I can use my other laptop

Closed Thread

Old 09-18-2011, 04:22 PM   #1
Registered Member

Telnet disconnects in 40 to 50 seconds of inactivity on my Win 7 Laptop. I can use my other laptop which is XP and I never get disconnected. As long as I have activity the telnet will not disconnect on my Win 7 laptop.

Old 09-18-2011, 10:25 PM   #2
Registered Member

OS: Windows XP Professional SP3 ; Windows7 Professional SP1 ; Windows7 Ultimate SP1

My System

try checking the Power Options then look for something with the word NETWORK or something...not sure what it's called...

reply what you see :D

Old 09-19-2011, 08:19 AM   #3
- Microsoft Support

OS: Windows 8.1 64bit/Ubuntu 14 LTS 64bit via Vm Player

My System

Telnet is used for remote reasons virtual terminal connection. Telnet is not needed to connect to the internet. I run Windows 7 also and I do not have a telnet service in services.

Virus Help
Ubuntu Live CD
PC Running Slow?
Memtest
UBCD
Remember dust buildup in your PC can be a killer!!
Old 09-21-2011, 04:31 PM   #4
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fritzyG View Post
try checking the Power Options then look for something with the word NETWORK or something...not sure what it's called...

reply what you see :D
I checked the power options today and that did not help. Thanks for trying
Old 09-21-2011, 04:37 PM   #5
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackBauer_24 View Post
Telnet is used for remote reasons virtual terminal connection. Telnet is not needed to connect to the internet. I run Windows 7 also and I do not have a telnet service in services.

I work on telephone switches and telnet is used often. I turned on the telnet service in Win 7 to see if it helped but it did not. I usually use the telnet connection associated with procomm. Thanks
Old 10-06-2011, 06:41 AM   #6
Registered Member

Well I found away around this issue. I purchased some telnet software that had a keep alive option. I had to find one that had a timer of less than a minute. It works great but I wish I could have found the inactivity disconnect timer. Just another way of stimulating the economy.