Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

[SOLVED] Taskbar issues

2K views 12 replies 3 participants last post by  Stephen Bowles 
#1 ·
Hey guys,

I need to know how to get my task bar buttons back to what they were originally. This is a bit hard to explain so let me first say. This is NOT fixed by selecting Always combine or Combine in the task bar buttons pull down menu when right clicking on Properties.

Issue is:
Say I have multiple Firefox items stacked in the task bar shown as one Firefox button slightly overlapped by others, with Combine or always combine set, I see a MENU of the four browser addresses on the screen with one address below the other address in just one box, when I HOVER over the Firefox Buttons stacked in the Task bar.

I Want to be able to see Multiple small browser pages side by side across the screen each in their own separate box instead of seeing the menu when I hover over the Firefox Buttons stacked in the Task-bar.

I can get this to happen on a machine that is loaded with windows 7 by default however I have somehow changed some setting on another machine and I cant get it back.:cry:

Thanks for the assist in advance!!

See less See more
#4 ·
Re: Taskbar issues

Could you possible upload an image of your problem and maybe even an image of what you want it to look like? That might make it clear what your problem is and make it easy for us to help you. Thank you.
I dont see anywhere on the site that allows me to upload a pic.

1. Right click on the click on properties, make sure taskbar buttons says always combine, hide labels
2. Go to your computer and open multiple firefox browser sessions.
3. Select 5 different websites for each browser iteration
4. Go to the taskbar where they show up and hover over them with your mouse.
By default windows 7 shows these browers in separate little miniture browser page side by side across the screen. It should do so on your system. Then you could hover over each little box and it would open the browser to see what you would see if only that browser screen is open.

The issue I am seeing on the offending computer (which is at work and I cant take a screenshot for security reasons) is just one popup browser box with a solid background, with multiple URL's ascending from top to bottom.
When you hover over that single miniature browser box you can highlight the url you want by sliding the little bar up and down. (When hovering over a single URL you see that URL lit up a bit signifying it cant be clicked on and selected as your page and open it into a full page browser.

If you can tell me how to send you a screenshot I can do so if you still need it.

This may not even be a windows thing, however e have re-imaged that system and it has the same issue but the user may have installed some sort of program that is causing this. That is kinda what I am thinking but no one seems to know.

#6 ·

To Post a picture, click on the Go Advanced button below the message box. Click on the Paper clip icon in the Toolbar at the top. Browse to select a photo from your computer and click Upload.
If you choose Never Combine, every time you click an icon and go to a web page in your browser it will show up as a separate window on the Task Bar, isn't that what you want?

#8 ·

@spunk, The Pics that Stephan has is what I want exactly. Also that was what I HAD on my system at home till I started changing task buttons always combine setting on the task bar.

@Stephan, that is what I want, exactly what you have on your thumbnails. That is actually what I started out with on my system at home. However after changing the Combine settings just a few times, now I cant get that back. I did not do anything at all other than that to my system at home and Im getting what my uploads show. Oh yeah and by the way I never touched IE at all, I don't use it myself, however now its changed.

IE bad is the way IE shows it.
Mozilla Bad is the way it shows with Firefox.
Firefox settings are my Firefox settings and not matter what way I click, checked or unchecked, (I close firefox each and every time all iterations of it) the "Show tab previews in the Windows taskbar" it still stays the same. Not sure what is causing this but now I cant get mine back to that either, and nothing from these systems ever touch each other in any way, no usb stick, email or anything.

Not sure what to do, maybe its a Firefox thing but it is happening in both browsers.

And sorry for my inability to describe this well. Using Firefox version 28

Attachments

#9 · (Edited)

As the same thing is occurring with Internet Explorer, it seems unlikely that any one browser is to blame.

Which version of Windows 7 do you have? It looks like you have the Windows 7 Basic theme on (Aero disabled). The thumbnails will not show unless Aero is enabled. Select an Aero Theme and then see if your thumbnails work. Your current theme should stay at the top as "Unsaved Theme", unless of course you have saved it.

You can select an Aero enabled theme by:
> Right click on the Desktop and select Personalize
> In the new window that appears, select a theme from the Aero Themes section.

Test with Internet Explorer and Firefox.

#10 ·

If you choose Never Combine, every time you click an icon and go to a web page in your browser it will show up as a separate window on the Task Bar, isn't that what you want?
By Right clicking the Task Bar choosing Properties and under Task Bar Buttons I have selected Never Combine. And I get this. I ask again, isn't this what you want?

Attachments

#12 ·

@Stephen,

Yeah that was it for this system, mine is win7 professional, have no idea how my theme ever got changed as I had selected a theme from Aero a long time ago. The effected system is windows 7 enterprise. I will look at that and see if an aero theme was selected on that persons system and see if that was what it was.

THANKS!!!!

This one is solved!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.