Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Standard account can not run exe's when "run as administrator" is selected

2K views 5 replies 2 participants last post by  jcgriff2 
#1 ·
I am trying to start a new method of using my computer and am not going to run my profile as an Admin account. I am used to Linux and having to use SU or SUDO, so this should not be much different.

I am running into the same problem that pushed me away from this model before. I did a fresh install of a laptop, ran all Vista Home Premium updates, created a standard account, logged into the standard account, selected an exe on my C:, right clicked and selected "Run as Administrator" and I get this message "Windows can not access the specified device, path, or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item."

This error seems familiar as I tried this before and had the same problem. This pushed me into using an account that had elevated Admin privileges all the time (bad idea for someone who uses the internet and installs a lot of programs).

What is the deal and how can I fix it?

#2 ·
Re: Standard account can not run exe's when "run as administrator" is selected

So I understand, please -

1. You re-installed Vista
2. During the installation, you created a "user-admin" account
3. Post-Vista install, you created a standard user account
4. You are now using (trying to use) #3

What is the status of #2, the user-admin account?
a) Alive & In-tact
b) Alive, but demoted
c) dead - removed

Regards. . .

jcgriff2

#3 ·
Re: Standard account can not run exe's when "run as administrator" is selected

Thank you for your help!

I did a re-install of the manufacturer DVD for the laptop. The account which it creates is an Admin account. I ran all the updates under this account and rebooted a number of times.

I booted back up and created a new, standard user account. I went to "switch user" and logged into the new standard account. I went to a folder on the C: and selected an exe file, right clicked and selected "run as administrator" and then I got the message.

The original Admin account is still active.
So I understand, please -

1. You re-installed Vista
2. During the installation, you created a "user-admin" account
3. Post-Vista install, you created a standard user account
4. You are now using (trying to use) #3

What is the status of #2, the user-admin account?
a) Alive & In-tact
b) Alive, but demoted
c) dead - removed

Regards. . .

jcgriff2

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.