Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows 7 Support, Windows Vista Support

sound problem with thinkpad x201 windows7 system

This is a discussion on sound problem with thinkpad x201 windows7 system within the Windows 7 Support, Windows Vista Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. My laptop recently got a sound problem, which has lasted for about 3 weeks. Every time when I need to

Old 08-05-2013, 07:23 PM   #1
Registered Member

My laptop recently got a sound problem, which has lasted for about 3 weeks. Every time when I need to hear the sound, no matter playing music, watching online vedio, or vedio chatting through internet, I could only hear the sound for a couple of minutes, after that the sound is lost. But if I click the pausing button, and wait for a couple of minutes, the sound can be restored. But the restored sound will disappear again after a couple of minutes. When the sound is lost, if I restart the program or internet vedio, the sound will also come back. I have tried to uninstall the sound card driver, but it did not solve the problem. Does anybody know what caused this sound problem and how to fix it. Thank you very much for your help.

Old 08-05-2013, 07:52 PM   #2
TSF Team, Emeritus

OS: Windows 8 64, Windows 7 64 Bit SP1, XP SP3, Mac OSX

My System

Double click the Volume (speaker) icon in the task bar. Make sure volume is all the way up. Start your program with the volume window in site. If you notice that the sound slider volume slides off automatically, this is caused by a virus.
Due to forum rules we cannot comment or assist in virus removal here. Please click on the link in my signature for Virus/Malware Help and do those things and post in that section of the forum.

spunk.funk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 12:43 AM   #3
- Microsoft Support

OS: XP, Vista, Seven, & a whole host you would never have heard of.

Hi it is possible that a nasty has invaded, and as Spunk say's a post at the security forum may be needed. We could do with some more info, go to start ,search and type:-cmd, right click on the returned cmd.exe and select "run as administrator" at the prompt copy paste:-

Code:
wmic sounddev get Caption, DeviceID, PNPDeviceID, Manufacturer, status /Format:list > 0 & notepad 0
press enter, please post the notepad outcome here.

jenae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 04:56 PM   #4
Registered Member

Hi, Spunk and jenae, thank you so much for your replies.

As spunk suggested, I clicked the speaker icon and then clicked the mixer button. After this, I opened an internet vedio, when the sound is lost, I did not see the sound slider slides off automatically, but I found when I click on the sound slider and slide it a little bit, either up or down manually, I can immediately restore the sound without waiting for a couple of minutes. Does this mean My computer is affected. Spunk, I have read through the Virus/Malware Help web you mentioned, so you suggest me to run the DDS and GMER program on my laptop and post the results in that forum, am I understand it correctly?

And jenae, I did what you suggested, and here is what I got:

Caption=Conexant 20585 SmartAudio HD
DeviceID=HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_14F1&DEV_5069&SUBSYS_17AA2155&REV_1003\4&3AD39C8&0&0001
Manufacturer=Conexant
PNPDeviceID=HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_14F1&DEV_5069&SUBSYS_17AA2155&REV_1003\4&3AD39C8&0&0001
Status=OK

Caption=Intel(R) Display Audio
DeviceID=HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_8086&DEV_2804&SUBSYS_17AA21B5&REV_1000\4&3AD39C8&0&0301
Manufacturer=Intel(R) Corporation
PNPDeviceID=HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_8086&DEV_2804&SUBSYS_17AA21B5&REV_1000\4&3AD39C8&0&0301
Status=OK

What does this mean? Thank you very much for your help.
Old 08-06-2013, 06:34 PM   #5
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

This doesn't sound like a virus to me. So, we can wait on that for a bit now.
The command Jenae asked you to run shows us the audio hardware ID's for your computer.
What is the make and model# of your computer? Where did you download the Audio driver for your laptop? You should only install drivers from the computer manufacturers support/download drivers site. go there, type in your make and model# or your Service Tag# and download and install the Audio driver for your model.
Old 08-06-2013, 07:22 PM   #6
Registered Member

Hi Spunk, thanks for your reply.
Previously, I only updated the audio driver using the updated button, never downloaded the driver. SO I tried your suggestion, downloaded the driver from Lenovo's website (thinkpad x201 (3249)), uninstalled my old driver and reinstalled the downloaded driver, then restarted computer. The problem is still there. Should I try to do the virus scan?
Old 08-07-2013, 01:44 AM   #7
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

That would be the next move, unless Jenae has another idea. Get a clean bill of health from the Security forum and if you still have the problem, we will move on from there.

Gear in this thread