Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

some glitches after restored win7

2K views 27 replies 5 participants last post by  tierra 
#1 ·
Hi,

I did a factory restore this morning and now I'm having a few problems I didn't have before. I'd appreciate any help on fixing any of these:

Windows update didn't update fully and now says totally updated - even though nothing on the windows 10 stuff, etc. I had >60 updates left (I do a few at a time) and got a BSD when rebooted then there were only a few 8 left when I got back from the BSD (the BSD seems to be over some hardware plugged in that seems to be failing but not sure what it is). Windows was activated as soon as I finished the restore - before starting to update things.

I turned off sound in all my accounts but when windows boots up there's that horrible windows theme. Before when I turned off the sound in personalize that stopped the horrible windows theme when booting up. Do I need to do anything more?

I use mostly my general account and it won't allow me to access temp under run so I can delete temp files. How can I fix this, please?

I also had problems at first updating windows in the general account - it wouldn't allow me to; however, all of a sudden it's working, and I always update it in the general account.

In the past I had the document file in the left side of my task bar by the icons for browsers, etc. Now, I can't get it there, just on the right side as a tool bar - but I don't like it there or the way it's displayed there. Does anyone know how to fix this?

Also, in the general account (where I do most things) I can't seem to access some of my programs - it doesn't even find them if I type their name into search for programs for files; however, it's there in admin account. I'm specifically looking for contacam as I used it before in my general file.

Thank you for any help.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Long in as an Administrator, go to Start/Search and type CMD, Right click the CMD results and Run As Administrator. In the Elevated Command Prompt type SFC /scannow and press enter. This should replace any missing system files.

#3 ·
Hi spunk.funk,

I ran it several times, including rebooting after each time. Each time I got:

Beginning system scan. This process will take some time.

Beginning verification phase of system scan.
Verification 100% complete.

Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations.

And still have the same problems.

Thank you.

#4 ·
I even uninstalled and reinstalled the problem programs twice (once from admin, once from general) and program is still only available in admin.

Also, another glitch with desktop icon from my printer that keeps opening several desktop icons and I can't delete.

#5 ·
Your profile may be corrupted. Go to Control Panel/User Accounts and create a new user. Log out of the user account your in and login as the new user, see if that is different. If that is better, copy your files to the new profile and use that one. Fix a corrupted user profile - Windows Help

#10 ·
I don't think it's infected. I ran all my malware programs before the reinstalls (both) and after, including ESET online scanner and none of them found anything.

I will go ahead and run the Virus/Malware Help; however, really sure the computer was clean before and after. I didn't even load the 3 MS patches with PUPs (windows10).

Since the BSD from the first reinstall had to do with hardware (and before the BSD was working OK but the BSD was during rebooting MS updates), but not sure which hardware, could this be it. I've unplugged all my hardware but the mouse and keyboard.

Also, when I pin FF to the task bar it loses it's icon but has it elsewhere. Do you know how to fix this? I've uninstalled and reinstalled 3 times and still the same thing. See the attachments.

Thank you.

Attachments

#11 · (Edited)
I have come across these same things when it comes to fresh installs. I found that if I did things in a specific order, it stopped all of the problems (i.e. Windows 7 updates getting caught in a reboot configuring loop, program icon glitches, etc.) Here is what I recommend, and I know it's going to be a pain in the butt so I'm sorry. Do the install again, but this time (from the installation screen) format your hard drive partition so that the space reads as "unallocated space" instead of "partition 0/1/etc." Continue to install it on the unallocated space. When Windows is finished installing, make sure all drivers are installed and then do NOTHING but the updates. I always set mine to important updates only as the recommended updates really are a bunch of crud in my opinion, but hey that's me, so set it to what is best for you. Once it installs the largest batch of updates and succeeds, you should be in the clear to install all of your programs, however I personally always scan until there's nothing. Fresh installs of Windows can be finicky. This solved all of my problems once I did things this way. I hope it works for you if you decide to try it.

#12 · (Edited by Moderator)
If my previous post doesn't help, I would assume your install is corrupted (which is rare, but not unheard of) and I would recommend creating your own install with an ISO and activating it with your current license. I just wrote a short article on how to do it if you need it. (New and not sure if this is legal here, but someone correct me if I'm wrong. Truly not trying to promote myself.)

#15 · (Edited)
Thank you - Orttimus Prime.

There are no partitions on my hard drive - I'm using the restore DVD from my computer company that fits my computer only (small company does custom orders). However, I'll open the advanced anyway and see.

After the restores I did updates only and was having problems (the restore disc has programs I selected when the computer was ordered; however, I always do the MS updates first, then update the other programs). Plus during the first restore there was a BSOD (for hardware) while rebooting MS updates.

Also, I don't know what an ISO is.

I can't do it this week, I'm totally super busy.

Thank you.

#16 · (Edited)
If your drive shows one large bar of space that is labeled C: or whatever, then that is still a partition, it's just a single large one that consists of all of the drives available space. So click the whole thing and choose to delete it. What it sounds like is your company may have a corrupted or damaged install, otherwise it seems to be a hardware problem. I would recommend using another install, such as one you created yourself from an ISO. As far as ISOs go, the admin deleted the link I sent you (I think because the article was written by me so...understandable), so if you look around on the forum or open a new thread you'll be able to learn how to download one and put it onto a disc/USB drive and install Windows that way. If you're still having troubles then you're looking at hardware failure and I'd start with the hard drive. When you have time of course, I understand about being super busy. Just thought I'd finish sharing what I know. Best of luck!

#17 ·
Hi,

No malware.

The FF problem hasn't been so bad lately. However, Word 2010 wouldn't open one day and last Saturday (11 July) everything on any Word document I worked on and saved that day didn't save. I'm not sure about other days, but seem other days it's been saving.

I don't have time until 2nd week of August to do another fresh reinstall.

Thank you.

#20 ·
When I ran it, I just ran it in Normal Mode. Browse to website, download the file, when download is complete, run the file, it does it's thing. All very intuitive.

***EDIT

I just read the directions at major geeks. I think those directions assume you can't do anything in normal mode. I never went into safe mode at all.

#23 ·
Hi CharlieAlgernon,

Thank you for your help; however, I will not download from certain sites, including the one you've sent. I've had problems picking up malware in the past, no matter how careful at those sites and just won't use them.

Thank you.

#24 ·
The link at MajorGeeks is working (12MB download), and the software is safe if used carefully. I downloaded and scanned. No malware.

VirusTotal results for the file: https://www.virustotal.com/en/file/...d2eba7f71933b34999bba5ec/analysis/1437328034/

The official site (Tweaking.com - Windows Repair) uses the same MajorGeeks option provided by CharlieAlgernon or you can use the Direct Download button on their site to download from them.

Direct Download: http://www.tweaking.com/files/setups/tweaking.com_windows_repair_aio_setup.exe

Attachments

#25 · (Edited)
This time when I tried to download Windows Repair - it downloaded - no problems. Maybe they were having problems the first time I tried to download.

I ran as instructed in safe mode and Contacam still doesn't appear in the general account (and it's set to run in both accounts 4 and 93 - the only two accounts I have - one admin and the other is general - I rarely use the admin account).

Also, it takes forever for the computer to boot up now.

I don't know about any of the other problems, as just ran the program.

Just found out it's changing tabs when closing FF and reopening.

Thank you.

Attachments

#26 ·
Also, just noticed this morning (with updates that were hidden popping up to be loaded - but read online that this is happening with the windows 10 updates, even when people have downloaded them already - so that's not the problem) that windows update isn't working in the general account without a password, although it's checked for all users to update.

Thank you.

#27 · (Edited)
Spywareblaster also doesn't work properly in general account. Even if I try by right clicking and running as administrator.

It works under administrator account. But I have to go in and click and check every box for chrome and that doesn't work either. I checked every item separately and then clicked on "Protect against checked items" and it just clears those items and still gives me the "some protection is not enabled" message.

I've rebooted twice and even tried from admin account; but that doesn't seem to affect the general account.

When I tried to launch google chrome (from programs - don't have on taskbar as don't usually use it) I don't get the browser to launch but a window showing the shortcut.

Attachments

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.