Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows 7 Support, Windows Vista Support

[SOLVED] Windows Vista Slow boot and shutdown

This is a discussion on [SOLVED] Windows Vista Slow boot and shutdown within the Windows 7 Support, Windows Vista Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. So far to fix this issue i've tried disabling all the non-microsoft services and startups, and changing the registry a

Closed Thread

Old 05-17-2011, 08:00 PM   #1
Registered Member

So far to fix this issue i've tried disabling all the non-microsoft services and startups, and changing the registry a bit to kill apps quicker on shutdown time. Both startup and shutdown are still horribly slow.

I've also tried disabling the sound driver (As some people say the sound driver can cause slow startup and shutdowns?)

Hopefully i won't be posting too many of these types of problems, as I prefer to browse through forums and find the answer myself. Sadly, so far I haven't found a topic with suggestions that fix this issue.

Suggestions would be kindly appreciated

Old 05-17-2011, 10:26 PM   #2
Registered Member

the steps you have taken so far are good but id suggest that you try the following too:

- check for any hardware that can cause a slow down like old external hard disks
- check you have the latest windows updates installed
- defragment your boot hard disk to improve speed
- clear out old temporary files
- check that your hard disk light is not being thrashed and on a lot

has this just started to happen? have you just installed any windows services packs?

Old 05-18-2011, 10:24 AM   #3
Registered Member

- check for any hardware that can cause a slow down like old external hard disks
: No externals aside from the hard drive ^.^
- check you have the latest windows updates installed
:Updated already and reporting for duty!
- defragment your boot hard disk to improve speed
:Unneccessary on NTFS, especially this new of a vista (Not many programs)
- clear out old temporary files
:Affirmative, procedure did not fix the issue (used ATF cleaner)
- check that your hard disk light is not being thrashed and on a lot
:

The issue ended up being the hard drive itself, which I overlooked (I only had 30 minutes to look software-wise what might've been the issue. I usually avoid blaming the hard drive until it becomes the last resort)

So sadly this machine will need a new hard drive, which isn't a big deal since I can acronis the data over to the new hard drive.

Thanks for the tips though, i'll make sure to keep those in mind next time I have an issue like this on machines. ^_^
Old 05-21-2011, 12:19 AM   #4
Windows Tech Team

Great job on solving the issue.

Be careful when fiddling with the registry, changing settings (especially so programs such down faster, as you say), could make your system unstable. Best to leave it be really, very rarely would this be the root of your problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dervisher View Post
So far to fix this issue i've tried disabling all the non-microsoft services and startups, and changing the registry a bit to kill apps quicker on shutdown time. Both startup and shutdown are still horribly slow...
As you have solved the problem, (nice job), could you set the thread as solved please, by clicking on Thread Tools at the top of the page. Thank you.