So i had some problems with a virus of some sort, which used files called something like gac_32.desktop.ini, but the exact name isn't too important. Very long story short, i got rid of the virus(es), but I'm afraid i lost something important along the way, and the reason im bringing this up is because the virus had "desktop" in its name, and my problem is with "desktop icons" now that the virus is gone.(I did not have this problem while the virus was in effect).
I can't be ENTIRELY sure of when the problem started occuring while running numerous virus scans deleting/quarantining files they suggested, but i NOTICED the problem when i was in SAFE MODE, and the icons were aligned to the left.
1. If i reboot my computer, my desktop icons will realign themselves vertically to the left side of the screen
2. If i right click the desktop and go to view, refresh, my desktop icons will realign themselves vertically to the left side of the screen.
3. Right clicking desktop and going to view, Auto arrange icons, and align icons to grid, have no effect to fixing when toggling on and off.
4. I've tried creating a new profile, and THE PROBLEM IS GONE for the new profile only.
5. I've tried going into safe mode, and the refresh gives same results as #2 above
Some fixes I've already tried include...
a. Renaming/Deleting IronCache.db then rebooting
b. Some others but they were quite complicated and i can only hope i did them right.
I don't want to use a third party program or other to get AROUND the problem, i want to FIX it.
I don't want to move all the files from the "bad" profile to a "good" profile.
If it would be difficult to pinpoint the exact properties/ect i need to switch to fix this, then perhaps a "massive reset" or "return to defaults" for any possible things to do with desktop/desktop icons/desktop layout?
If no other solution, then what is the "easiest" solution reguardless if its something "I don't want to (do)"?
Windows 7 HP Notebook PC
Intel R Core TM i7 CPU Q 720 @ 1.6 GHz 1.6 GHZ
6 GB RAM
64 bit operating system