Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

[SOLVED] Win7 Fail to Boot, Fail to Repair

1K views 5 replies 2 participants last post by  Poor Kevin 
#1 ·
Friend of mine gave me her Acer Aspire 5742z-4813 because it fails to boot and eventually asks to repair, which it doesn't. Can't enter safe-mode, either.

Only thing she's said is that her daughter installed Norton 360 a few days before it crashed.

Things I've tried:

At command prompt, ran the following with no effect: bootrec.exe /FixMbr, bootrec.exe /FixBoot, bootrec.exe /RebuildBcd, chkdsk /f E:, and finally chkskd /f /r /x.

I also entered BIOS and changed HDD mode to IDE from ACHI. No joy.

Thanks in advance, guys.

#2 ·
Re: Win7 Fail to Boot, Fail to Repair

Test the HDD, download the ISO image for Seatools in my signature, burn the image to CD using IMGBurn also in my signature, boot off of the newly created CD and run the Short and Long tests on the drive. If either test fails, the HDD needs to be replaced.

#3 ·
Re: Win7 Fail to Boot, Fail to Repair

Test the HDD, download the ISO image for Seatools in my signature, burn the image to CD using IMGBurn also in my signature, boot off of the newly created CD and run the Short and Long tests on the drive. If either test fails, the HDD needs to be replaced.
Thank you, sir. Will do and will reply when I have results. I'm now on evening shift and it might take me a while to reply but I will, ASAP. Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.