Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows 7 Support, Windows Vista Support

[SOLVED] Vista installer does not detect my SATA drive . . or does it?

This is a discussion on [SOLVED] Vista installer does not detect my SATA drive . . or does it? within the Windows 7 Support, Windows Vista Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category.

Closed Thread

Old 03-25-2008, 02:28 PM   #1
Registered Member

Grin

Hello! I'm having issues installing Vista Home Premium (64-Bit) on my self-constructed PC. The following are the specs:

-GigaByte GA-MA790X-DS4 rev 1 (with current bios of Mar 07)
-AMD Phenom 9600 Agena 2.3GHz Socket AM2+ 95W Quad-Core Processor Model HD960ZWCGDBOX
-Crucial Ballistix 1GB 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Desktop Memory Model BL12864AA1065 x2 for install purposes
-SAPPHIRE 100225L Radeon HD 3870 512MB 256-bit GDDR4 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card
-PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750 Quad (Crossfire Edition) EPS12V 750W Power Supply
-Seagate Barracuda ES.2 ST3250310NS 250GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive
-Pioneer 20X DVD±R DVD Burner Black IDE Model DVR-115DBK

Here is my issue:

1. The motherboard is set to Native IDE and detects both the IDE DVD Drive and the SATA HDD.
2. The Vista install DVD will boot up.
3. However, once I enter my reg key, Vista cannot detect a drive to install to.
4. I press Shift-F10 to open the command prompt (in vista).
5. I run Notepad.
6. Using the open feature of notepad, I can access the SATA drive and create/delete files and folders to it.
7. I can format the drive using the command prompt for vista.

I called Gigabyte and they are stumped. I've tried nearly every driver on the included CD and from the website. I've tried Native IDE, RAID (single drive array), Legacy IDE and SATA->AHCI modes. No joy. Vista just will not detect the drive.

A friend suggested doing an install of XP then upgrading to Vista from XP. After XP loads the required files and does the reboot to go to the actual installation, rather than beginning the installation, XP reloads all of the files that it just loaded (going in a continuous loop).

Any and all help is appreciated, thanks for your time.

Old 03-25-2008, 05:50 PM   #2
Registered Member

Well, I appreciate the views . . . I hope someone out there can help me.

Old 03-25-2008, 06:57 PM   #3
TSF Team, Emeritus

Hi Redcoat,

Enter the bios setu menu and set it back to default settings and save and exit. When you reboot re-enter the bios setup menu and make these changes:

In the Bios setup menu:

>In the Advanced area (or integrated peripherals area
Sata Controller Mode (remember, some boards have different things, so it will be only something like this)
Set this area to "IDE mode" for now.

> Be sure that Sata is enabled in the bios.

> Be sure that the raid controller is turned off or disabled

> In the Boot menu, set the boot order to:

.....CDRom - 1st
.....Floppy - 2nd
.....Hard Drive - 3rd

> In the Boot menu, go to the Hard Drive Priority area and set the Sata as the first drive in there.

> Save and exit and reboot of course in the process.

Special note: If you have any other IDE hard drives, unplug them to try it.

See what happens and report back.
Old 03-25-2008, 08:25 PM   #4
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumbleweed36 View Post
Hi Redcoat,

Enter the bios setu menu and set it back to default settings and save and exit. When you reboot re-enter the bios setup menu and make these changes:

In the Bios setup menu:

>In the Advanced area (or integrated peripherals area
Sata Controller Mode (remember, some boards have different things, so it will be only something like this)
Set this area to "IDE mode" for now.

> Be sure that Sata is enabled in the bios.

> Be sure that the raid controller is turned off or disabled

> In the Boot menu, set the boot order to:

.....CDRom - 1st
.....Floppy - 2nd
.....Hard Drive - 3rd

> In the Boot menu, go to the Hard Drive Priority area and set the Sata as the first drive in there.

> Save and exit and reboot of course in the process.

Special note: If you have any other IDE hard drives, unplug them to try it.

See what happens and report back.
Ok. I loaded the 'Fail-Safe' defaults option of the bios and rebooted.

Came back in.

IDE was enabled by default. Left it on (so the IDE DVD drive would function)
SATA mode was set to 'Native IDE' (which is the default setting)
There was no option to disable RAID, however it is a selectable SATA mode. SATA mode was set to 'Native IDE'.

Set Hard Drive Priority to give the SATA drive priority (it is the only hdd).

Rebooted and began the Vista install procedure, no joy. Vista again fails to display the SATA drive as a selectable hard drive for install. However, on the driver loading menu, the SATA drive is selectable to search for drivers from.

I do sincerely appreciate your help in this matter.
Old 03-26-2008, 05:39 AM   #5

My System

Download this: http://america.giga-byte.com/FileLis...otdisk_m7x.exe

Put it on a USB thumbdrive and point the installation (browse) to this file when installing Vista.
Old 03-26-2008, 01:52 PM   #6
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfellla View Post
Download this: http://america.giga-byte.com/FileLis...otdisk_m7x.exe

Put it on a USB thumbdrive and point the installation (browse) to this file when installing Vista.
I downloaded the file, put it on the thumb drive, extracted the files and attempted the install in the following modes;
RAID - Drivers were detected as compatible, installed, drive did not appear
SATA->AHCI - Drivers were detected as compatible, installed, drive did not appear
Native IDE - Drive was not detected, drivers were incompatible
Legacy IDE - Drive was not detected drivers were incompatible

In all cases, the SATA drive could be explored for drivers.

Could it be a partitioning issue? The drive is 250GB. Also, could it be a South Bridge issue? The motherboard uses the SB600 south bridge.

Thanks again for all your help.
Old 03-26-2008, 05:23 PM   #7
Registered Member

UPDATE -

Seagate has directed me to "zero fill" the drive, they seem to think this may have some bearing on the situation. I will do this and report back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redcoat_reij View Post
I downloaded the file, put it on the thumb drive, extracted the files and attempted the install in the following modes;
RAID - Drivers were detected as compatible, installed, drive did not appear
SATA->AHCI - Drivers were detected as compatible, installed, drive did not appear
Native IDE - Drive was not detected, drivers were incompatible
Legacy IDE - Drive was not detected drivers were incompatible

In all cases, the SATA drive could be explored for drivers.

Could it be a partitioning issue? The drive is 250GB. Also, could it be a South Bridge issue? The motherboard uses the SB600 south bridge.

Thanks again for all your help.
Old 03-26-2008, 06:20 PM   #8
Registered Member

Nevermind, the seagate utility has a hardware incompatibility with my motherboard, therefore I cannot zero-fill the drive - my keyboard and mouse do not function in the program except to exit when I hit Ctrl-alt-del

Quote:
Originally Posted by redcoat_reij View Post
UPDATE -

Seagate has directed me to "zero fill" the drive, they seem to think this may have some bearing on the situation. I will do this and report back.
Old 03-26-2008, 06:21 PM   #9

My System

disconnect all drives and usb etc that you don't want wiped and use boot n nuke. http://dban.sourceforge.net/
Old 03-26-2008, 08:57 PM   #10
Registered Member

OK - installed the drive into the wife's computer - it was able to use the seagate utility, wiped the drive, zeroed it out and now I am happy to report that vista is now installing on the computer.

Thanks to everyone that offered input - this site will forever be in my bookmarks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfellla View Post
disconnect all drives and usb etc that you don't want wiped and use boot n nuke. http://dban.sourceforge.net/
Old 03-27-2008, 03:06 AM   #11
TSF Team, Emeritus

Glad to hear you got it going. Hey, stick around and enjoy the forum, we don't want you to be a stranger on here. Have a great day.
Old 03-27-2008, 05:09 AM   #12
Registered Member

This is Redcoats wife- he is having terrible luck.

After getting Vista going, he was trying to install other drivers and it locked up (No surprise there really, I've heard of the nightmare that is the Vista installation). Anyway, when he went to reset the computer, the darn thing died. Completely. As in will not come on anymore.

It did that about a month ago during his initial installation and he sent the MB in for repairs; took about three weeks for him to get it back. Now it's dead again and he's getting really frustrated!
Old 03-27-2008, 01:47 PM   #13
TSF Team, Emeritus

Hi Redcoat's wife, nice to see you here.

Things to check:

Electrical outlet

ATX plug clear down and seated properly

CPU/Heatsink Fan plugged into motherboard

Molex plug connected to motherboard.

Switch on back of power supply on

120/240 switch in the 120 position if in the USA

CPU/Heatsink clear down and tight

Double check these and post back with results.

Note: The PC Power & Cooling power supply is one of the best. However, at times we get a power supply that goes dead without warning. Is thre a way to put another one there from another computer to see if that is an issue, or is there another computer he can switch this one to in order to check if it works?
Old 03-28-2008, 05:43 AM   #14
Registered Member

This is what GB said I should do, I haven't done it yet, will try it later today after work.

This really chafes me as this is the same exact reason why I sent the motherboard back to GB in the first place.

1) Make sure all powers to the board are connected.
2) Unplug all cables from the board that lead to all the drives.
3) Unplug all USB cables from case to the pin headers on the board.
4) Remove additional PCI Cards installed.
5) Re-Insert one RAM Module into slot 1.
6) Clear CMOS.
A) Remove battery, have power supply switch ON without turning system on.
B) Create a connection link by touching the inside metal lead inside the socket against the outer metal lead and hold the connection for 30 seconds.
7) Unplug the external devices except the Monitor.
8) Turn system on. (Should Post)
Old 03-28-2008, 10:13 AM   #15
Registered Member

Quote:
Hi Redcoat's wife, nice to see you here.

Things to check:

Electrical outlet

ATX plug clear down and seated properly

CPU/Heatsink Fan plugged into motherboard

Molex plug connected to motherboard.

Switch on back of power supply on

120/240 switch in the 120 position if in the USA

CPU/Heatsink clear down and tight

Double check these and post back with results.

Note: The PC Power & Cooling power supply is one of the best. However, at times we get a power supply that goes dead without warning. Is thre a way to put another one there from another computer to see if that is an issue, or is there another computer he can switch this one to in order to check if it works?
The first time this gripe occured (system will not power on) I went out and bought an Antec supply that while had lower wattage was sufficient to power the system. It was not able to power the system, but I sent the PCP&C supply to be repaired. They found it to have no issues and returned it (they really were great, kept me updated and everything). i also RMA'd the motherboard to gigabyte. I didn't hear back from them ever and the board showed up last week. I am "assuming" that they returned my original board after completing repairs on it. Now, it's doing the same thing again.

I tried everything that Gigabyte told me to do and that you told me to do, no joy.

I don't think it's the case shorting it out, because I also replaced the case (the original case was of low quality and I returned it).

It did not do this until I put four gigs of ram in there. Could I have a bad stick of Ram that is frying the board? I would think that it may cause an error, but it would not corrupt system startup . . . or would it?

I am now faced with (most likely) having to send the board to Gigabyte again, delaying the deployment of this new system by another month.
Old 03-28-2008, 11:06 AM   #16
TSF Team, Emeritus

Here is what I would do:

Take the board out of the case and put in beside the case on a sheet of cardboard or a non-conductive surface. Then add the following only:

> 1 stick of ram (check for the proper slot for one stick, because the differ)
> The ATX connector
> The CPU/Heatsink and fan connected to the motherboard
> The +12 molex connector
> Keyboard and Mouse
> The off/on switch
> Speaker wire
> Video card and moniter

Don't connect anything else and see if it tries to post. If it does, then add something like one hard drive, etc....still outside of the case until you feel you can put it back in the case.

If it doesn't then take away something like ram and see if it beeps at you.

Use this process to make sure the board is working properly. Post back and I am sorry for all your difficulties with this one.
Old 03-28-2008, 11:59 AM   #17
Registered Member

Quote:
Here is what I would do:

Take the board out of the case and put in beside the case on a sheet of cardboard or a non-conductive surface. Then add the following only:

> 1 stick of ram (check for the proper slot for one stick, because the differ)
> The ATX connector
> The CPU/Heatsink and fan connected to the motherboard
> The +12 molex connector
> Keyboard and Mouse
> The off/on switch
> Speaker wire
> Video card and moniter

Don't connect anything else and see if it tries to post. If it does, then add something like one hard drive, etc....still outside of the case until you feel you can put it back in the case.

If it doesn't then take away something like ram and see if it beeps at you.

Use this process to make sure the board is working properly. Post back and I am sorry for all your difficulties with this one.
Tried it, nothing.

Removed Ram, nothing.
Removed vid card, nothing.

We know that the board is getting power, because for about 1/2 second, the system fan and LEDs will come on, then nothing.
Old 03-28-2008, 12:31 PM   #18
TSF Team, Emeritus

Sure sounds like you have a bad motherboard to me. I would RMA that board again.
Old 03-28-2008, 01:42 PM   #19
Registered Member

That's exactly what I did.

I got on the phone with GB and went through their troubleshooting process. Used both my PCP&C and an Antec supply, no joy.

They agreed to an RMA, they're going to pay to have the item shipped back, and they're going to send me a brand new motherboard immediately (apparently the one I have they attempted to repair already).

They did mention that if I receive the new board and this same issue develops again, I should check my surge protector and my power supply.

I RMA'd the power supply to PCP&C already once and they returned it to me saying that it passed their bench test. Could it be surging, causing one of the transistors to go out (as GB claims) or is it just a bad motherboard (again)?

Any thoughts?
Old 03-28-2008, 04:04 PM   #20
TSF Team, Emeritus

PC Power & Cooling is about as good as it gets. Those supplies are manufactured by Seasonic which is the best, highest quality, and most stringent manufacturing standards of any power supply company in the World. If PC Power & Cooling or Seasonic company says their supply is O.K., then you can simply take that to the bank, because they don't sell junk and don't want you to have junk.

That is why you pay a premium price for their products. I trust either company implicitly and use only Seasonic supplies in my personal computers.

I think it is another bad board. To be quite honest, I would be shocked (have never seen one from either company surge) if surging was the problem. Please let us know the outcome.