Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

[SOLVED] Two dll errors on startup, can't get rid of them?

2K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  spunk.funk 
#1 ·
So, every time I've started up my computer in the last month or so, I've been getting the following two DLL errors:

This has been happening since I ran a routine scan with MalewareBytes that picked up some trojans buried in my files. Ever since those trojans were deleted, these errors have been showing up.

Running further scans with MalwareBytes and Windows Defender (also, McAfee Stinger, just for good measure) has not yielded any further items to delete. And the files that are being referenced by these errors do not, in fact, exist on my system.

Googling the problem has so far only lead me to shifty "Fix DLL errors today!" sites promising a wonder program that will somehow increase the speed of my PC, fix all errors and make all my dreams come true for the low, low price of a $12 monthly subscription.

Thing is, isofar as I can tell, these errors don't seem to... do... anything. They just show up, I click the x, and they don't rear their heads again until I start my computer up the next time.

Was wondering if there was a way to shift these, as they're mildly annoying.

See less See more
#2 ·
Re: Two dll errors on startup, can't get rid of them?

Do a search for the programs UTMedia, and Abworks separately. If these programs are listed in Programs and Features, or in Program Files, see if there is an Uninstaller located in the program file.
If you cannot find these programs on your computer and you don't use them, then go to Start/Search and type regedit and press enter. In the Registry Editor, go up to Edit/Find make sure Computer is highlighted and in the Find What box type each program in separately. Press Find Next. when it stops, press the Delete key on your keyboard, press the Enter key to acknowledge the deletion, and press F3 to continue searching. Continue doing these 3 steps until you see the message Finished Searching the Registry. After searching for both programs is complete, restart. Then do a search for these programs on your Computer. Looking for any other residual files, and delete them, Empty the Recycle bin and you no longer should see this message.

#4 ·

If you cannot find these programs on your computer and you don't use them, then go to Start/Search and type regedit and press enter. In the Registry Editor, go up to Edit/Find make sure Computer is highlighted and in the Find What box type each program in separately. Press Find Next. when it stops, press the Delete key on your keyboard, press the Enter key to acknowledge the deletion, and press F3 to continue searching. Continue doing these 3 steps until you see the message Finished Searching the Registry. After searching for both programs is complete, restart. Then do a search for these programs on your Computer. Looking for any other residual files, and delete them, Empty the Recycle bin and you no longer should see this message.
This method actually worked without a hitch! Thank you!

Hi, I would recommend experts only attempt this in the registry.They would most likely be in HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\InprocServer32 key, however you would have a lot of work to do finding them all.
I thank you for your concern, but following the steps that Spunk.Funk gave me actually worked first time. I found both entries, deleted them, and restarted my computer. Bam, no more DLL errors and nothing's exploded or caught fire.

In my books, that's a success.

Also, I only saw your post literally right after restarting my computer following the procedure. Sorry bout' that.

Thanks again, though, both of you. This error was easier to fix than I thought.

#3 ·

Hi, I would recommend experts only attempt this in the registry.They would most likely be in HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\InprocServer32 key, however you would have a lot of work to do finding them all.

The dll's are system files and as such are hidden. Control panel folder options select "view" and check "show hidden files and folders" and uncheck "hide protected Operating System files " also uncheck "hide extensions for know file types" this makes listing all dll's easier.

Then a search would be able to reveal them, however these are most likely orphan entries in startup. Go to start , search and type msconfig and press enter, select the startup tab the cn2002.dll relates to a canon util, the other I have no reference. You can safely uncheck all items in msconfig startup and windows will still boot fine. Usually only programs deemed necessary (such as AV and anti malware) are needed to start.

See how you go if no joy we will get you to run a script that shows ALL startup items with this we can remove these errant entries.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.