Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows 7 Support, Windows Vista Support

[SOLVED] "The path specified does not exist" - Windows 7

This is a discussion on [SOLVED] "The path specified does not exist" - Windows 7 within the Windows 7 Support, Windows Vista Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Whenever i try to open ANY file(.exe, .jpg, etc) I get the message, "the path specified does not exist." The

Closed Thread

Old 06-21-2009, 02:33 PM   #1
Registered Member

Whenever i try to open ANY file(.exe, .jpg, etc) I get the message, "the path specified does not exist." The only working program that I can open is Firefox (i don't know why...). I had some programs on an external hardrive I tried opening them and I don't get the message, but the program just crashes on startup. The same with every other file type. I have had Windows 7, since the RC came out, and it was fine until today. Help would be appreciated.

System specs(if you need them)
intel celeron d processor 356
nvidia xfx geforce 9600 gso
? motherboard.
Suspecting something wrong with the OS not the computer.
Thekeeperofham

Old 06-23-2009, 04:48 PM   #2
TSF Enthusiast

OS: Windows 8.1 Pro x64 Update 1, Windows 7 SP1 x64 & x86, VISTA SP2 x64 & x86, Windows XP SP3

My System

I would select a system restore point before this happened.

Old 06-24-2009, 04:31 PM   #3
Registered Member

I'll echo the response that System Restore is what you should do. That is the easiest and fastest way to go about it. It sounds like some environment variables got trashed, or that files got pruned out when they shouldn't have. Do a System Restore, and also try getting a command prompt running in admin mode, and then run SFC /scannow. If all else fails, try to do a system repair from the install DVD. If that still all fails, you might also try posting over on official Windows 7 RC Support Forum (located here http://tinyurl.com/9fhdl5 ) to get a response from the Microsoft devs. They will probably want some more in-depth information on your equipment and build-out, so I would prepare that as well.
Kurtis Whittington - Microsoft Windows Client Team
Old 06-25-2009, 04:19 PM   #4
Registered Member

Thank you for your response, I did a system restore, and that didn't work. So I just backed up all data I wanted to an external harddrive, and did a fresh install and now it works ! Thanks for the response though, just wondering so you think you know might of caused it to do that, I was just wondering. Anyway thanks!

TheKeeperofHam