Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

[SOLVED] System Restore points fail

7K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  Corday 
#1 ·
Is there any reason system restore on Windows 7 is not successful?

It has happened several times before and I searched the registry to remove traces of the program I wanted to be rid of (not suspicious, just not useful)

This time I downloaded a "Giveaway of the Day" and checked what users had to say on download.com (after installing unfortunately). A fair number of users warned that it carried spyware and even worse. For what it's worth I never opened the program. I uninstalled using Revo uninstaller and manually deleted two more items found in a reg edit search. Still nervous, I tried to do a system restore that didn't succeed. I went back a couple of weeks and tried another that didn't work. In the past several months I tried a couple of time and it didn't work. Actually it has never worked.

I run firefox in sandboxie and have Avast security suite. After recovery, before installing, I scanned the downloaded file with Avast and Malabytes and it passed.

Just now I scanned my computer with malabytes which found no problem.

Does anyone have any idea why system restore won't restore? I have several system backups, none very recent. Not sure when I first tried to restore, likely several months after getting the PC.

I use CCleaner often, but doubt that would erase anything that would stop system restore. How concerned should I be about this? And can anyone suggest how to restore the system restore function. While I wait I'll try find that problem on microsoft's website.

Would be grateful for your advice!

See less See more
#2 ·
Re: System Restore points fail

1. Is System Restore disabled?
2. Ccleaner can be set to remove restore points. Check it.
Assuming neither of the above, create a restore point, Now immediately see if it works. If so you need to give SR more space. In no restore, see if the one you created works in Safe Mode.

#3 ·
Re: System Restore points fail

CCleaner was set to delete restore points but I changed that several weeks ago. I had forgotten I did that. Just checked and it is not still set to not delete them.

I'm in the process of a "test" restore now. It is rebooting.

It did restore successfully! Do you have any idea why my older restore points didn't work? They were no more than two weeks old since I created each one before I installed a couple of updates. Whatever I did I hopefully can avoid from now on.

Thank you so much for your response!

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.