Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

[SOLVED] Stupid, yet simple and easy question to answer. Need it answered fast enough

2K views 9 replies 3 participants last post by  joeten 
#1 · (Edited)
Okay, first time posting here, I'm going to try and make this short and fast.
I hate vista, I mean, who doesn't, right? Well Vista has been being all weird and I need to wipe my computer clean anyways due to this nasty bug that got in, I managed to quarantine it, however it messed up a lot of my registries and some stuff doesn't work properly.
So here's my question;

I want to downgrade my Vista Home Premium to Windows XP, I was wondering, though, seeing as I'm running a Vista 64-bit, can I downgrade to XP-32 bit? If so, is there any bad effects to this? Or would it be better to go with 64-bit XP?

Here are my computer specifications, by the way;

RAM: 4GB
Processor: Genuine Intel(R) CPU U2700 @ 1.30GHz 1.30 GHz

Also have 320GB HD... I dont think that matters, though...

Thank you very much,

Brandon. M

See less See more
#2 ·
Re: Stupid, yet simple and easy question to answer. Need it answered fast enough.

Hi and welcome to TSF is this a tower or laptop what make and model or if a custom build the make and model of the motherboard,graphics card,power supply,before attempting any upgrade run the windows upgrade advisor http://windows.microsoft.com/en-GB/windows/downloads/upgrade-advisor
you should also check the makers site ie computer or motherboard support site to see if they can provide drivers

#4 ·
Re: Stupid, yet simple and easy question to answer. Need it answered fast enough.

Hi and welcome to TSF is this a tower or laptop what make and model or if a custom build the make and model of the motherboard,graphics card,power supply,before attempting any upgrade run the windows upgrade advisor http://windows.microsoft.com/en-GB/windows/downloads/upgrade-advisor
you should also check the makers site ie computer or motherboard support site to see if they can provide drivers
Thank you very much for replying, I am using an Acer 5810TZ laptop, that should most likely answer all the questions about the mother board, graphics, etc.
Thank you for the link as well. However, it brought me to a Windows 7 upgrade adviser, I am trying to install windows XP.

#3 ·

The only problem I see is making sure you can obtain drivers for the pc, such as the motherboard and video card. A 32 bit os will see 3.25 gigs of ram unlike 64 bit os, but I've seen some 32 bit vista see 4 gigs. Well mine does after upgrading from 3 gigs to 4, I don't know how much xp will see in 32 bit mode. There is xp 64 but alot of people are going to windows 7. If you want to down grade you need to get the drivers for all the componets in your pc, write down all the hardware you see in device manager and use google or another search to look them up. There are programs like everest and cpu-z that can help identify motherboards and other componets you might have.

#5 ·

The only problem I see is making sure you can obtain drivers for the pc, such as the motherboard and video card. A 32 bit os will see 3.25 gigs of ram unlike 64 bit os, but I've seen some 32 bit vista see 4 gigs. Well mine does after upgrading from 3 gigs to 4, I don't know how much xp will see in 32 bit mode. There is xp 64 but alot of people are going to windows 7. If you want to down grade you need to get the drivers for all the componets in your pc, write down all the hardware you see in device manager and use google or another search to look them up. There are programs like everest and cpu-z that can help identify motherboards and other componets you might have.
Okay, thank you for your reply, do you know how good Windows 7 is for some games? I play Wolfenstein and due to Vista, PunkBuster (The program they use to detect cheating programs) is kicking me quite frequently, and lot's of people have had the problem because of vista. I have also just had enough with Vista for multiple reasons. So would Windows 7 be a better choice? Is it easy to navigate? How good is it for gaming? (Yes I know my laptop would suck for gaming, but for the small amount of games I can play, I would enjoy less lag)

#6 · (Edited)

Well the laptop has drivers for xp and can be found here http://support.acer.com/us/en/drivers_download.aspx the link should take you to the page, select notebooks and choose aspire for the model and select your model from the list. You will have to select xp in the os selection box for the xp drivers, 32 bit or 64 bit.

#9 ·

Hi sorry for the error working on two threads posted that in the wrong place
Do not be sorry. I should be the sorry one - I had you take time out of helping me with something really basic when there are others out that that need more help than me. I am grateful, if anything for your help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.