Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

[SOLVED] Streaming video crashes my computer

41K views 14 replies 3 participants last post by  spunk.funk 
#1 ·
So ive been having this problem for a few weeks now.
Basically, when i watch anything on youtube or icefilms on my laptop that's longer than 5 minutes long or so, my computer abruptly stops,the frame freezes, the sound goes on a loop, all of the lights on my laptop turn on and i have to turn it off.
I can't even use the task manager to shut it down.
My computer has 4 gb of RAM, an intel i3 processor, a nvidia graphics card and I'm running windows 7.
It's a bit under a year old.
I already cleaned out the registry did a disk cleanup and defrag, and now im out of ideas.
Anyone have any idea why this is happening and how i can fix it?

#2 ·
Re: Streaming video crashes my computer

Do you have any trouble watching videos via Windows Media Player or any other media that lasts longer than 5 minutes?

#5 ·

So, is it only crashing on those sites when you view in full screen?

Sorry for the delay....as you know, we are all volunteers and as such our lives often get in the way of spending time here on TSF! :)

Mike

#6 ·

Haha no problem
Honestly, that's what i thought the problem was, but i dont even know now.
Now, even if im not watching a video, if its paused in another tab after a while my computer locks up.
The only three things i can do while it's like this is 1) Turn on and off the mouse with the keyboard function 2) open and close the disk drawer and 3)manually shut it off by pressing the power key.
I think it may have something to do with internet connection, because when i let a movie buffer, disconnect, then watch it i was able to watch the whole thing without any problems.
I have a wireless internet connection, and my router is a d-link DIR-615 router, if that helps.

#9 ·

START>CONTROL PANEL>SYSTEM and MAINTENANCE>SYSTEM>DEVICE MANAGER. Once you have opened up the Device Manager screen, notice that it lists all of the various device headers. You'll see one that is called DISPLAY ADAPTERS. Click on the little plus sign next to it. It will show you what you're video adapter is. Right-click on the device listed and you'll be given a brief list of things to do. Select "Update Driver Software" and then it will ask you for permission to access the Internet to do so. Give it permission and let it run and see if it can find a more current driver. Depending upon the display adapter, you may have to go to the vendor's website to get a more current driver but let's try this first. Once you do open up the display adapter, let me know what it lists.

Good day!

Mike

#12 ·

Most definitely. Download the latest as spunk.funk said and re-install it. Drivers can be technically current but still corrupted.

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.