Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows 7 Support, Windows Vista Support

[SOLVED] Shrink NTFS partition - 0 MB available ?

This is a discussion on [SOLVED] Shrink NTFS partition - 0 MB available ? within the Windows 7 Support, Windows Vista Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hello. Since yesterday I've been trying to find out why I still can't shrink my partition more than it offers

Closed Thread

Old 06-30-2012, 12:58 AM   #1
Registered Member

Hello.
Since yesterday I've been trying to find out why I still can't shrink my partition more than it offers me.

I know my disk was fragmented so I ran a full defrag for a couple of hours and after defragmenting it, I could shrink it by 20GB. I've still got around 300GB free on the disk and it seemed to be defraged properly..
This is what I got after that:

Then after looking better, in the bottom right corner there are 4 'gray-ish' blocks that turn out to be "Unused Map Blocks". At least that's what Ultra Defrag map legend says. So my guess is that's what's preventing me from shrinking the disk any more, and I have absolutely no idea what to do about it.

I really need about 30GB more space as I am trying to dual-boot linux on that free space and would like ~50gb space for /home.

Thanks in advance!

EDIT: I did also run checkdisk etc. but no results :/

Old 06-30-2012, 01:46 AM   #2
Volunteer

My System

Hello crofalcon

Have you tried using 3rd party partition software? This has been a problem since Vista times. Follow this nifty guide!

Submit New Articles Here

Linux User #565010

It's never about how good you are, it's about how much you can change lives.
Old 06-30-2012, 01:48 AM   #3
Registered Member

Tried gparted but it just said 0mb as well :/
Old 06-30-2012, 02:17 AM   #4
Registered Member

Can't find edit button on the reply, anyway, to whom ever this may be of use:
Paragon Partition Manager 11 Free kind of did the job. For some reason it doesn't have a 'Custom' option, but only 2 automatic options, so it literally shrunk my D drive as much as it could and took every free MB away from it :D

Then I used the default windows shrink/extend resize thing to extend D by a certain ammount and left 50gb free :)
Old 06-30-2012, 03:03 AM   #5
Volunteer

My System

Nice to hear you got it sorted out. Please Mark this thread as solved.

Submit New Articles Here

Linux User #565010

It's never about how good you are, it's about how much you can change lives.
Closed Thread