Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows 7 Support, Windows Vista Support

[SOLVED] Satellite P775 Windows 7

This is a discussion on [SOLVED] Satellite P775 Windows 7 within the Windows 7 Support, Windows Vista Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I need to reinstall Windows 7 on this laptop. I have 4 CDs worth of software all together. Anything special

Old 09-18-2013, 01:49 PM   #1
Registered Member

I need to reinstall Windows 7 on this laptop. I have 4 CDs worth of software all together. Anything special I need to know before I start. Ive done XP several times and Vista. Never done 7 before. Thanks.

For the record, I did read the sticky at the top of the page.

Old 09-18-2013, 02:04 PM   #2
TSF Enthusiast

If you back up your personal files then you can factory reset it by tapping F8 on boot and selecting Repair your Computer.

After confirming the language and/or computer name, you will see the repair options with the Toshiba HDD Recovery usually being the last one - this will take it back to an out of the box condition.

Old 09-18-2013, 02:26 PM   #3
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomken15 View Post
If you back up your personal files then you can factory reset it by tapping F8 on boot and selecting Repair your Computer.

After confirming the language and/or computer name, you will see the repair options with the Toshiba HDD Recovery usually being the last one - this will take it back to an out of the box condition.
Did the reset option first. Got an error message and now it cant find the OS.
Old 09-18-2013, 03:41 PM   #4
TSF Enthusiast

The following article shows how to do a repair install of Win 7 Repair Install - Windows 7 Help Forums which will get you back in but you may need Toshiba's generic product key to activate as the COA sticker only applies to the OEM install and may be rejected.

I'll PM you the key.

Once you're back in you can back up your personal files and try the factory reset again, from Start type diskmgmt.msc - press Enter to check that your Data D: partition is still showing as using ~10GB.

What do you mean by having 4 CDs of software ?
Old 09-18-2013, 03:56 PM   #5
Registered Member

Thanks. 4 CDs. This is for a buddy thats in love with Best Buy. When he purchased the laptop, they did not provide the OE CDs. He gave me 4 CDs that supposedly have all the software that the laptop came with. I do have an OE Dell copy of Windows 7. Sould I try the repair from that ??
Old 09-18-2013, 04:50 PM   #6
TSF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackDidley View Post
Thanks. 4 CDs. This is for a buddy thats in love with Best Buy. When he purchased the laptop, they did not provide the OE CDs. He gave me 4 CDs that supposedly have all the software that the laptop came with. I do have an OE Dell copy of Windows 7. Sould I try the repair from that ??
No, you would be putting a Dell OEM install onto a Toshiba.
Old 09-18-2013, 04:53 PM   #7
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomken15 View Post
No, you would be putting a Dell OEM install onto a Toshiba.
Gotchya. Didnt really think so. I will get into this in the morning. Thanks.
Old 09-19-2013, 01:49 PM   #8
Registered Member

Got it done, thanks.
Old 09-19-2013, 02:28 PM   #9
TSF Enthusiast

Well done Jack !