Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows 7 Support, Windows Vista Support

[SOLVED] Problems Installing/Deleting/Uninstalling & Permission Errors

This is a discussion on [SOLVED] Problems Installing/Deleting/Uninstalling & Permission Errors within the Windows 7 Support, Windows Vista Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Sorry its taken me awhile to respond, I'm working on a couple of projects and keep getting interrupted with phone

Closed Thread

Old 03-04-2012, 08:57 PM   #41
Registered Member

My System

Sorry its taken me awhile to respond, I'm working on a couple of projects and keep getting interrupted with phone calls.

I did what you suggested, here's the error I get.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	cmd.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	29.6 KB
ID:	106012  

Old 03-04-2012, 09:18 PM   #42
- Microsoft Support

OS: XP, Vista, Seven, & a whole host you would never have heard of.

Hi, the cmd has to be as admin, it is missing from this screen shot. Try to do this in safe mode read the instructions in my last post.

Old 03-04-2012, 09:36 PM   #43
Registered Member

My System

I did run as admin, you can see Administrator in the upper left of the window. I right clicked cmd.exe and ran as administrator. That's the window I get when I do that. OMG is my laptop really screwed up?

I have a 64-bit and I'm noticing the cmd.exe runs in 32. I'm also getting error messages when I try to access files now. We did a repair of Vista to get my printer to install, which it did but I'm finding now I can't access files and a lot of my programs. Did the repair a day or two ago and after waiting for all the windows updates to install I haven't used it much, now I'm finding a lot I can't use!
Old 03-04-2012, 09:49 PM   #44
- Microsoft Support

OS: XP, Vista, Seven, & a whole host you would never have heard of.

Hi, I agree your laptop is screwed, time to format, you might try this as a last resort:- (read the whole thing carefully and print it out you will not be able to access it in the RE).This forces a hidden admin account (about a third the way down). Think how much you are learning.

Possible User Profile corruption (deep), Preparing Your Desktop, etc.

EDIT:- Just had a thought open a cmd as admin and run these cmds:- DO THIS FIRST then check how you go before you try anything else.

Code:
net localgroup Administrators /add networkservice
press enter then type:
net localgroup Administrators /add localservice
press enter then type:
exit
press enter and restart your computer

Old 03-04-2012, 10:14 PM   #45
Registered Member

My System

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenae View Post
Think how much you are learning.[/CODE]

Thanks for making me laugh when I'm this stressed out! Seriously I laughed out loud.

I'm going to try what you posted. I'm going to have to do it tomorrow though. I have Jury Duty this week and have to be at the Courthouse at 8 am and to deal with subway backups this means getting up at 5:30-6! I'm an actress and I walk dogs for a living, so I don't usually get up till 9-10am, this will be hard for me since I am a late night person. Its after midnight in NY so if I don't try to sleep now I won't sleep. (It sucks getting older...)

Thanks so much for your help! I appreciate all of you! I'll print this out tonight and start it sometime tomorrow. Not sure how all this works, haven't done Jury Duty in Brooklyn before. THANK YOU!!!
Old 03-05-2012, 12:51 AM   #46
Registered Member

My System

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenae View Post

EDIT:- Just had a thought open a cmd as admin and run these cmds:- DO THIS FIRST then check how you go before you try anything else.

Code:
net localgroup Administrators /add networkservice
press enter then type:
net localgroup Administrators /add localservice
press enter then type:
exit
press enter and restart your computer

I did this, (no I can't sleep) and it seemed to accept everything. How do I know if it worked? Be back tomorrow... really...
Old 03-05-2012, 09:17 PM   #47
Registered Member

My System

Quote:
Originally Posted by LivingNY View Post
I did this, (no I can't sleep) and it seemed to accept everything. How do I know if it worked? Be back tomorrow... really...

Hi everyone. I did not sleep a wink last night and it was a really painful day. I'm crashing but will be back tomorrow to finish this. I'm so tired there is no way I could follow directions with a clear head. I really appreciate all of you but do not want to waste your time because I'm not thinking straight. I also thought I should backup one more time before I continue just in case.
Old 03-10-2012, 12:42 PM   #48
Registered Member

My System

Hi Guys! Sorry Jury Duty really screwed up my life last week. I am backing up my emails right now. I think everything else is backed up already.

I was never able to turn on the Administrator account. I'm assuming that I have to use the recovery disks I made and wipe everything and start again. It does scare the heck out of me. I guess I just need to hear everything will be ok when I do this.

What happens when you use the recovery disks? Does it ask me any questions or does it just start restoring everything? How does this work exactly? Its the unknown I guess thats bugging me. I hope I did these recovery disks right or I'll destroy this laptop right?

I do have to get this working correctly before I leave town at the end of the month. Otherwise I will have to leave town without a laptop! I'd go nuts and so would my husband since I couldn't do things for him while I'm gone.

I figure I should have time to do this over the weekend and I'm sure the windows updates I'll have to reinstall will take a friggin week to finish! OMG I hope this works. I won't begin this until I hear from someone. Sorry, this makes me feel like a little kid at the moment afraid to take the next step for fear of really screwing something up!
Old 03-10-2012, 01:49 PM   #49
Moderator - Networking

OS: W8 Prox64,Windows 7 Ult 64-Bit SP1, Mac OSX 10.8.2 Mountain Lion, Android 4.1.1 Jellybean, IOS 6

My System

No problem did my service years ago.

Restoring from the disks may take an hour or so depends on your specs of your computer follow the instructions from the prompt allow it format the drive this will wipe the entire drive including recovery partition then it will re -partition C: drive install os and then re-create recovery partition and place an image of your os on there.

Something i have done before using recovery discs is backup the current installation to ext hdd. Also do a separate backup for all your data.

If this is not possible then you will just have to recover from the disks everything should be fine.
Old 03-10-2012, 03:55 PM   #50
Registered Member

My System

Thanks, glad you understand. I'm going to try to install the software again from the backup drive. I wasn't able to install it before but since I was able to install the printer MAYBE I'll be able to install this program. Then I'll backup everything again. I have 2 drives on this thing a C: and D: drive hopefully the recovery disks will put everything back like it was.

If I have any problems you'll probably see a frantic post here later tonight. Hopefully everything will go fine. When I reinstalled Vista it took about 3 days for all the windows updates to reinstall, it may take longer for EVERYTHING to reinstall. One way or another I'll post how its going. Hopefully it will just be one of those - Everything installed without a problem, just updating now - posts. Now I'll double check the backups and get this over with. Oh I can't wait for it to be over with AND everything to be OK....
Old 03-11-2012, 12:39 AM   #51
Registered Member

My System

Looks like everything is going ok so far. It automatically made me the admin account. To avoid what ever happened before should I make another admin account? Just don't what this to happen again.

I just have to set up all my preferences and also upgrade to Vista Ultimate, that took a few days last time. Oh and it did nothing to my D: drive everything was still there! Nice surprise. I'll be back after my upgrade and windows updates install.

I think this will work just have to reinstall programs. I'll let you know for sure when its done. Thanks for everyone's help! Seriously, you all tried everything else until suggesting the reformatting. I appreciate that. Hopefully when everythings done it will be working fine again.

Don't forget its DST starts tonight, we lose an hour. Will be back later.

Thanks again!
Old 03-11-2012, 06:09 AM   #52
Moderator - Networking

OS: W8 Prox64,Windows 7 Ult 64-Bit SP1, Mac OSX 10.8.2 Mountain Lion, Android 4.1.1 Jellybean, IOS 6

My System

No worries we will await your update.
Old 03-12-2012, 04:34 PM   #53
Registered Member

My System

Well it looks like everything went GREAT!!!

I'm still getting new updates (I just install SP2 this morning), 77 more just popped up but I've re-installed a number of programs as well as my printer and they all are working! The printer even had an install error the first time but I was able to go in and delete folders (without having to take ownership) and start again.

Thank you all for your help. My date for leaving town just got moved up to this Wednesday and if I hadn't gotten all of this done I would have had to leave my travel laptop at home for my husband to use. You guys saved me a HUGE headache and very frustrating phone calls trying to tell my husband how to do certain things by memory. For instance - I'll tell him to click on something and he'll tell me its not there. I have to do everything short of stick my hand down the phone and point it out to him!

Wish I could take you all out for dinner and drinks!
THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU!
Old 03-13-2012, 12:08 PM   #54
Moderator - Networking

My System

No problem glad it's sorted for you no need for the paracetomol now

We are here to help.

Any other problems don't hesitate to post.
Old 03-13-2012, 01:54 PM   #55
Registered Member

My System

Oh I'll be back if I have any problems. Hopefully I won't! LOL Everyone has been great here and now I know I have a place to come for help!

BTW what do you guys think of Windows 8? I'm loving my new laptop with Windows 7 pro (hate Vista, didn't have an option when I bought the laptop) was wondering if Windows 8 is going to be another Vista. I'll probably have to get another laptop next year and if Windows 8 isn't as easy as 7 I don't want to go there. You can PM me any responses since I've closed this one and am waaaayy off topic.
Old 03-13-2012, 04:43 PM   #56
Moderator - Networking

My System

I have not used Windows 8 yet so can't give you my experience with it.

We do have a Windows 8 forum you can post questions in link below:
Windows 8 Support - Tech Support Forum
Old 03-13-2012, 04:54 PM   #57
Registered Member

My System

Thanks Again!
Old 03-13-2012, 05:44 PM   #58
Moderator - Networking

My System

Anytime.