Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows 7 Support, Windows Vista Support

[SOLVED] Problem with .exe files, none is working execept ff

This is a discussion on [SOLVED] Problem with .exe files, none is working execept ff within the Windows 7 Support, Windows Vista Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi, I cannot restore my system even in safe mode. In safe mode < open system restore < system restore

Closed Thread

Old 09-07-2010, 05:36 PM   #1
Registered Member

Hi,

I cannot restore my system even in safe mode. In safe mode < open system restore < system restore could not open.

I can still browse in FF but that is all. IE browser and all the other executable files .exe files are not operating at all. It says: this file does not have a program associated with it for performing this action. Some times other warming also comes up.

I searched trough TSF and I came across to this threat: http://www.techsupportforum.com/f10/...ct-211789.html.

The thing is: I cannot execute the following < run < cmd < enter; because it then says: this file does not have a program associated with it for performing this action. Not even that I can do.

As you can see I am very much stuffed up. All my executable program icons on my desktop have become white, except I can read the icons though.

Please, help me if you can and I hope you will. I have so many valuable things on my system I will not be happy to loose them.

With great appreciation I await for your reply.

Old 09-07-2010, 07:25 PM   #2
- Microsoft Support
- Networking

Sounds like you have a virus which has also made some changes to your registry. Even if you remove the virus, you need to change a few settings in your registry to associate .EXE files correctly. I don't have a reg fix handy at the moment for Win 7.

If you double click a file to run the program and it says there's no program associated with it, you should still be able to point directly to the EXE file on your hard drive to get it working. If no one else offers a fix, try posting in the virus section.

Old 09-07-2010, 09:06 PM   #3
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Garvin View Post
Sounds like you have a virus which has also made some changes to your registry. Even if you remove the virus, you need to change a few settings in your registry to associate .EXE files correctly. I don't have a reg fix handy at the moment for Win 7.
Hi Garvin,

By the way I am running windows 7 Pro. I have on my PC Avast! Internet Security, mbam, Spybot-S&D, Ccleaner, Revo uninltaller pro and I CANNOT run none of them for they all say the same thing: this file does not have a program associated with bla bla bla...

If I right click my computer < properties < no window pops up in result.

This next is an important input to all viewers of TSF: Prior to the current problem that I have I had installed in my system the fowling program "PDF-xchange viewer. I had more many months and never troubled. I installed a new program and tried to run the program, now I am not going to insert the link here of the program for security reason just in case if any, but you can search in Google < bullzip.com - free PDF printer. Then further down the page < download PDF Printer 7.1.0.1195 from North America. After installed I tried to open with PDF-xchange viewer. After this I believe all my folders became PDF files. I could not open one single program. So I Uninsalled PDF-xchange viewer hoping to give me some hope. Not much hope I got from this action.

likely, I don't know how but I can run FireFox still.

I hope this helps.
Old 09-07-2010, 09:57 PM   #4
Team Manager, Microsoft Support
Microsoft MVP
BSOD Kernel Dump Expert

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

Hi -

Scroll down --> http://www.winhelponline.com/blog/fi...for-windows-7/

Select this reg fix for exe file associations --> http://www.winhelponline.com/fileasso/exe_fix_w7.zip

Download the zip file, extract the .reg file and allow merge with registry to occur.

Regards. . .

jcgriff2

`
Old 09-08-2010, 12:26 AM   #5
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcgriff2 View Post

Select this reg fix for exe file associations --> http://www.winhelponline.com/fileasso/exe_fix_w7.zip

Download the zip file, extract the .reg file and allow merge with registry to occur.
Hi Griffith,

Failed just as well. It downloaded alright but it didn't open the exe_fix_w7. I right click "Open" and it said: This file does not have a program associated with it for performing this action. The program was downloaded to my downloads folder, in there also I right click the file < right click "Open" and the same message was given.

Now, on my downloads folder this exe_fix_w7 the extension file type should be if I understand correctly EXE File but instead is Zipitfree file. Well I had Zipitfree installed in my PC but no longer I have. I uninstalled it.

Interesting when I downloaded the program BullzipPDFPrinter_7_1_0_1195 to my downloads folder it also has the file type "Zipitfree" file when it should be an .exe file.

Before the real problem had begun I had noticed that just about every executable program I downloaded ended up having Zipitfree file upon running the downloaded program. That is the reason I uninstalled it. Then for some mysterious reason my executable files became PDF files, reason then cos I uninstalled the PDF-xchange viewer also.

Sorry for the long threat.
Old 09-08-2010, 12:47 AM   #6
- Microsoft Support
- Networking

Awesome, try this.. Can you extract the file using another computer and copy it to the problem computer? If you can, right click on the file exe_fix_w7.reg and select *Open With*. Then select Regedit.exe in your C:\Windows folder to add the registry values. I'm not on a Windows 7 box at the moment, but that should work. Don't mean to step on Jcgriffs instructions, but the registry fix he supplied the link to is exactly what you need.
Old 09-08-2010, 12:48 AM   #7
Registered Member

Further in explaining the problem I have, I would like to mention another two things: 1) I can download any executable file but when comes to run it it ends up having Zipitfree file. 2) I have tried to turned my uac off and it will not let me.
Old 09-08-2010, 12:55 AM   #8
Registered Member

Quote:
Awesome, try this.. Can you extract the file using another computer and copy it to the problem computer? If you can, right click on the file exe_fix_w7.reg and select *Open With*. Then select Regedit.exe in your C:\Windows folder to add the registry values. I'm not on a Windows 7 box at the moment, but that should work. Don't mean to step on Jcgriffs instructions, but the registry fix he supplied the link to is exactly what you need.
I will try and let you know. I have to go out now and on my returning I will do just that.
Thanks.
Old 09-08-2010, 02:40 AM   #9
Registered Member

Quote:
Hi Garvin,

No lucky yet. I did as per your suggestion. I merged the file and it said: The keys and values contained in H:\folder_fix_w7_.reg have been successfully added to the registry. And then I rebooted my PC. However the problem remains the same.

Any other suggestion please?
Old 09-08-2010, 03:06 AM   #10
Registered Member

I am back again for another piece of information. I have just searched on Google about Zipitfree and I came across to this article: http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r199...-entire-thread.

I have come to believe that Zipitfree actually stuffed my PC registry, I can't be sure yet 100%. Since I installed a couple of weeks ago I have noticed few changes on my system.

If you have ever come across to this program please let us know.
Old 09-08-2010, 11:00 AM   #11
- Microsoft Support
- Networking

Itsawesome, I would try to get a virus or malware scan completed first. Identifying the virus may help us figure out what else needs to be fixed on your system. I would try Malwarebytes in Safe Mode.

Restart, go into Windows Explorer>>Program Files>> Malwarebytes directory - then double click Mbam.exe. If a box pops up saying there's no program associated or asking you how to open that file, point right back to *Program Files\Malwarebytes\mbam.exe* and it should run.
Old 09-08-2010, 04:50 PM   #12
Registered Member

Quote:
Itsawesome, I would try to get a virus or malware scan completed first. Identifying the virus may help us figure out what else needs to be fixed on your system. I would try Malwarebytes in Safe Mode.

Restart, go into Windows Explorer>>Program Files>> Malwarebytes directory - then double click Mbam.exe. If a box pops up saying there's no program associated or asking you how to open that file, point right back to *Program Files\Malwarebytes\mbam.exe* and it should run.
Spot on Garvin,

I run Mbam on safe mode. It found vendor 3x" Rogue.BestSp..." All selected items were removed successfully.

Everything back to normal.

Many thanks to you and Griffith.
Old 09-08-2010, 05:51 PM   #13
- Microsoft Support
- Networking

Excellent!! Glad you're up and running. Be sure to run a full virus scan with Avast, too.