Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows 7 Support, Windows Vista Support

[SOLVED] No Sound, the unsolvable problem... take the challenge?

This is a discussion on [SOLVED] No Sound, the unsolvable problem... take the challenge? within the Windows 7 Support, Windows Vista Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Alright, I'm new to posting and feel I have a doosey of a task. I'm pretty good at this stuff

Old 08-13-2011, 05:29 PM   #1
Registered Member

Alright, I'm new to posting and feel I have a doosey of a task. I'm pretty good at this stuff so this can't be something minor. Bring it on!

The problem: No sound

The symptoms:

Besides the obvious there is a little red 'x' over my speaker icon in the lower right.

When I double click it it goes into "detecting problems"
"Audio Device is disabled" (it's enabled, read below)
"Audio Device you selected is currently turned off in Windows" (check out what i'v done below)
Ultimately "problem not fixed"
I have also oddly noticed that the "levels" tab in the speakers properties does not load and subsequently has a blank window with a line (I'm hoping this might be the aha moment for someone to realize whats wrong)

What I've done:

Hit the mute button and volume up (duh)

I have uninstalled and reinstalled drivers more times than i can count.

I have visited manufactures websites and independent installed the newest drivers AND software

I have obviously checked the cords, tried headphones, and all that such

I have no errors in the device manager and it says all devices are enabled and "working properly"

Windows is fully up to date and legit

I have system restored to before when it worked and no such luck

I have checked services.msc to make sure "windows audio" is started... it is

I have reinstalled directX and every other possible audio codecs and updates I could think of

I've uninstalled any program I thought could have triggered this deep mute of silence

Windows Action center is useless:

I've run the independent "audio device repair" with no such luck

In case the actual hardware was broke:

I have tried running the sound through the HDMI jack with no such luch

I have installed a usb sound card I had sitting around to try to run sound through there

I've changed "default device" plenty of times

And I'm sure I'm missing some of the things I've done. I can't think of computer changes I recently did that would have done this, it seems out of no where.

Thanks for any help!

Old 08-13-2011, 06:13 PM   #2
- Microsoft Support

OS: XP, Vista, Seven, & a whole host you would never have heard of.

Hi, and a warm welcome to the forums. Go to control panel and open sounds under the "Playback" tab find a blank space in this box and right click, check both options:- Show disabled devices... Show disconnected devices.

jenae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 03:29 AM   #3
Registered Member

Both options are already checked. *Note that if they are unclicked the same amount of devices are shown proving that my sound cards are neither disabled or disconnected.
Old 08-14-2011, 08:03 AM   #4
Registered Member

I know jack really (have W7/64 and glorious sound via an M-Audio 2496) but I think you have something turned off in BIOS?

Dave.
Old 08-14-2011, 08:11 AM   #5
Team Manager - Hardware

My System

You are most likely fighting a losing battle...here is what the site says about this card:
Quote:
Operating Systems SupportedWindows 98SE / Me / 2000 (SP4) / XP (SP1)
There are many sound cards with issues in Vista and Windows 7 incidentally.

All PC's are not the same. Posting your PC specs will help us to assist you quicker and effectively.
Rich-M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 08:12 AM   #6
Team Manager - Hardware

My System

To do more, we would need to know your make and model of computer or hardware.

All PC's are not the same. Posting your PC specs will help us to assist you quicker and effectively.
Old 08-14-2011, 09:46 AM   #7
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich-M View Post
You are most likely fighting a losing battle...here is what the site says about this card:
There are many sound cards with issues in Vista and Windows 7 incidentally.
Vista was certainly a problem but I have not read of that many with W7 (in anycase I believe the OP cannot get OnBoard Sound working?).
To date my W7 pc runs the 2496 and I have used an ESI 1010e, M-Audio Fast track pro, Behringer UCA 202 (generic usb drivers) and a Tascam US 144. The ESI gave some troubles, mostly with MIDI but did work!
I also have an Allen and Heath ZED10 usb mixer and that worked ok but there is a wrinkle.

Try the driver wrapper "ASIO4all" and try downloading some decent audio software such a Audacity or even the 30 day demo of Cubase (Steinberg) Elements 6. These might give you some diagnostic insights.
Lastly do not desert(!) but have a chat with Martin over at Sound On Sound | Recording Techniques | Audio Technology | Music Production | Computer Music | Video Media

Dave. Ah! why is the link changed please? soundonsound dot kom
Old 08-14-2011, 01:35 PM   #8
Registered Member

I have an Asus CG5270 and the sound has worked for the last couple of years. I have upgraded to an ATI Radeon HD 5450 Video Card (sound worked just fine after that). and when the sounds stopped working last week I tried installing a SB X-Fi Surround 5.1 USB sounds card. (sound would not work out of either, so i'm pretty sure it's not a driver issue).

Lastly I did as well try to run the sound out of my hdmi port since my monitor supports audio. No such luck.

Let me know if you need any more info! This is really frustrating.
Old 08-14-2011, 10:50 PM   #9
Registered Member

I have been looking for the motherboard type number for that pc and the best result seems to be P5QL-VMEPU but when I put that into the Asus search engine it denies all knowledge!

I think you need to spring the case and get the exact MOBO model and serial numbers and then find the manual for that board. Do you have..
1) A MOBO driver setup disc?
2) A set of W7 recovery discs or a copy of W7 itself?
3) A recovery partition on the hard drive?

Any of these will allow you to set the machine back to factory settings and if you then still have no sound I would bet a hardware fault (but then a usb AI should still work!).
BTW. Take a DAY off if you are re-installing/recovering W7!

Dave.
Old 08-15-2011, 05:10 AM   #10
Team Manager - Hardware

My System

I think we are getting confused between a pci sound card addon and onboard sound. It appears the addon card is not compatible and I remember from Vista that many pci sound cards had the same issue especially after Sp2. If we remove the pci card, then knowing the motherboard model and obtaining the correct chipset driver and soundcard driver should follow but many of those had issues as well. I think what needs to be done is go out and buyt a soundcard that is be certain we have the correct chipset driver and then go buy a soundcard for Windows 7 and this thread is getting more and more confusing without a real focus here to me.

Old 08-15-2011, 06:00 AM   #11
Registered Member

After all of the driver work I did I kept thinking it was a hardware problem. I never thought that the usb Audio device I use might not be compatible but I can't understand why my hdmi audio would not work? This is something that has worked on my computer in the past. Any thoughts on this? I don't mind grabbing another sound card if I'm sure this is the problem. Also I know how to reinstall windows and all but the process is so long I would really like to find an alternative. (three kids limits my time) Tanks for all the insights.
Old 08-18-2011, 06:26 PM   #12
Registered Member

Ok so now I KNOW it is not a hardware problem. I just installed the "Xonar, Asus, DG PCI 5.1 Audio card" which I know is compatible with Windows 7. This problem is continually getting more and more frustrating. I really need this figured out and it's just beyond my abilities.
Old 08-18-2011, 07:32 PM   #13
Team Manager - Hardware

My System

Did you make sure that new card was recognized in Sounds in Control panel?

Old 08-18-2011, 07:37 PM   #14
Registered Member

It is recognized and set as the default device.... All that such as stated before is true for this new device. All the same symptoms and still not working
Old 08-18-2011, 08:02 PM   #15
Registered Member

Alright it seems I have at least found another thread out there with the same problem I have. Before now I couldn't even find that. Microsoft Forum and I think more specifically this one even though it says Vista it seems it probably applies. My question now is: any advice on "adding an ACL to the registry keys under the MMDevices registry key to allow the LocalService account to have permissions to modify this registry key" To be honest I would rather do this than reinstall windows and all the drivers. Thanks to anyone who wants to talk me through this!
Old 08-18-2011, 08:29 PM   #16
- Microsoft Support

OS: XP, Vista, Seven, & a whole host you would never have heard of.

Hi, go to start search and type cmd search will return cmd.exe right click on this and select 'run as administrator' at the prompt type:-

net localgroup Administrators /add networkservice
press enter then type:
net localgroup Administrators /add localservice
press enter then type:
exit
press enter and restart your computer

jenae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 05:27 AM   #17
Registered Member

Amazing! Most impressive couple lines of script I have ever typed! Worked like a charm and saved me hours reloading windows and everything! THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!!!
Old 08-19-2011, 06:52 AM   #18
Team Manager - Hardware

My System

Wow impressive....why not mark this thread "solved" in "Thread Tools" in the first post.

Old 12-01-2011, 01:18 AM   #19
Registered Member

Great find after much searching.
I had the exact same problem and this miraculously fixed it.
Sound and microphone working again.
Old 05-01-2012, 07:20 AM   #20
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenae View Post
Hi, go to start search and type cmd search will return cmd.exe right click on this and select 'run as administrator' at the prompt type:-

net localgroup Administrators /add networkservice
press enter then type:
net localgroup Administrators /add localservice
press enter then type:
exit
press enter and restart your computer
Thank you ever so much for that, as you made it seem so simple of a solution.Ive been going through with this problem. thank you!!!!