Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows 7 Support, Windows Vista Support

[SOLVED] Need Help with HP 1300 series printer

This is a discussion on [SOLVED] Need Help with HP 1300 series printer within the Windows 7 Support, Windows Vista Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hello, I have an HP 1300 printer which used to work great with my old computer (OS Win XP). I

Closed Thread

Old 06-09-2010, 09:14 PM   #1
Registered Member

Hello,

I have an HP 1300 printer which used to work great with my old computer (OS Win XP). I bought a new HP notebook (OS Win Vista Home Premium 32-bit) but can no longer use the scanner function.

The printer used to copy, print, and scan (with image or OCR options), but now it only copies and prints. When I contacted HP, they said they are not coming out with a driver for this printer to make the scanner functions work.

I was using HP Director for scanning, and that appeared on the Start Menu. Now HP Director does not appear in the Start Menu, even after I installed the original software that came on the CD with the printer. Also, when I push the Scan button on the printer, it does not scan.

What can I do to get the scanner (OCR and image) to begin working again?

Old 06-10-2010, 06:17 AM   #2
TSF Team Emeritus
Microsoft MVP

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

You'll have to hire a driver developer to write a Windows Vista driver for you (if it's even possible). This'll be way, way more expensive than purchasing a bunch of new printers!!!

The software doesn't install because it's not compatible with Vista - and HP told you that they wouldn't be coming out with a version that is compatible.

Have you tried installing the software in Compatibility mode for Windows XP? That may help - but there's no guarantees that it'll work.

You may want to try a dual boot with XP - or a virtual machine running XP in order to get it to work. I can't help with that as I'm not very good with printers.

Old 06-10-2010, 12:19 PM   #3
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Have you tried to scan using the windows scan program?
You can purchase a better multifunction printer now cheaper than buying the 2 cartridges for this one
Old 06-10-2010, 07:20 PM   #4
Registered Member

USASMA,

My technology is somewhat limited. I grow up in the era (DOB 1947) when the primary form of information technology was hacking crude pictures onto the walls of stone caves. I don't have the knowledge to open in dual mode (and don't have XP on the new machine if that is a factor?), and also wouldn't know how to use a virtual setup (if I had access to one.)

So, Kodi, maybe your recommendation for a new printer all-in-one is a better bet for me? The combined color/b/w cartridge at Office Depot is $56.

Can I really buy an all-in-one at that price????

I thank both of your for your replies.
Old 06-10-2010, 07:24 PM   #5
Registered Member

Kodi,

Where is the Windows Scan Program, and how do I install it, or turn it on??????

If that works, may be a great solution. Does it offer OCR and well as image scanning?

Thanks for your reply.
Old 06-10-2010, 07:37 PM   #6
Team Manager, Microsoft Support
Microsoft MVP
BSOD Kernel Dump Expert

Hi -

Scan program in Vista is limited to Vista Professional, Vista Business & Vista Ultimate Editions as far as I know -

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/win.../fax-scan.aspx

See if it is on your particular edition -
Click START | type scan in the Start Search box

Anything related to "scan" come up on the listing?

Is this your HP 1300 printer? --> http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport...eriesId=238320

How old is your new Vista laptop? Was Windows 7 free upgrade offered to you? (Just curious - this won't help with printer issue).

Regards. . .

jcgriff2

Old 06-10-2010, 08:26 PM   #7
TSF Enthusiast

My System

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16828102450
Just one of the many cheap all in ones at Newegg
Old 06-11-2010, 12:42 AM   #8
Team Manager, Microsoft Support
Microsoft MVP
BSOD Kernel Dump Expert

I agree with Kodi... given the price of the all-in-one, you would save in the short run - both $$ and headaches.
Old 06-11-2010, 02:00 PM   #9
TSF Team Emeritus
Microsoft MVP

I was born in 1952 and I do OK around computers (but I still have my kids program my VCR! :0)

Here's a sale on an all-in-one printer for only $40 (US) THIS IS NOT A RECOMMENDATION!!!: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/re.../dp/B002VF41RU

Frankly, printers are becoming throw away items. I can recall having one repaired in the last 8 years - although I've replaced quite a few at home and in the wife's office. Even those under warranty were exchanged for new ones rather than being repaired.
Old 06-11-2010, 08:52 PM   #10
Registered Member

Kodi, USASMA, jcgriff2,

Well, some progress. . . . I tried Start, entered Scan in the search box, and voila!, the HP 1300 printer came up. So I put an image on the scanner window and got a very nice jpg image. Still no OCR. I tried the drop down lists, but the only options were variations of images.

So half of my problem is solved. Looks like OCR isn't going to happen with my present set-up. I regret I have not been offered Windows 7 as a free upgrade, with or without scanning capacity.

I appreciate the suggested sources for printers (newegg and amazon). Truly, there are some great deals out there. Guess the HP is in line for the high explosives treatment.

I thank the three of you for your well-considered and informative responses. This site is wonderful! I am glad TechSupport was recommended to me.

You may consider the problem SOLVED, since I have reached the point of making an informed decision.

Un million de gracias! I just bought each of you a beer over the internet!
Old 06-11-2010, 09:11 PM   #11
TSF Enthusiast

My System

You wont get OCR software with Windows but if you Google for "OCR freeware" you will get plenty of programs to choose from.
Old 06-12-2010, 01:16 PM   #12
Registered Member

Kodi,

Googling for OCR freeware is a good idea.

I know you can not make recommendations on this site, but if you have heard of any programs that work well, you can PM me.

[There is actually a fine legal distinction between a "making a recommendation" and "repeating what you've heard from others."]
Old 06-12-2010, 01:41 PM   #13
TSF Enthusiast

My System

I don't use OCR software, but it is permitted to recommend software in this forum provided that you do not have a financial agreement with that software vendor.(spam)
I would suggest you pick one then google that one and see what the reviews are like.