Hi jcgriff2 i think i foiund the answer:
A. Turn off Digital Driver Signing Check
1. Create a shortcut on the desktop to cmd.exe (In the location box type cmd /k)
2. Right-click on the shortcut and select Run as administrator
3.When the command window opens, type the following and press ENTER after each:
bcdedit /set nointegritychecks ON
bcdedit /set loadoptions DDISABLE_INTEGRITY_CHECKS
4. Reboot in safe mode (press F8 repeatedly during the BIOS screen).
B. Installing the XDDM Vista Driver posted by Kensiko
1. With computer in safe mode, open the Device Manager
(Start > Computer > System Properties > Device Manager)
2. Initiate driver update for Standard VGA Graphics Adaptor
(Properties > Driver Tab > Update Driver > Update driver -> Browse -> Let me pick -> Display adapters -> Have disk -> give path to "855gm_vista_driver " folder of the extracted driver)
3. Navigate to the folder where the driver is stored then complete the installation.
4. In the Device Manager, initiate a new hardware scan (Action > Scan for Hardware Changes).
5. Reboot. If successful, create a restore point!
Note: Chances are that the above steps did not work first time. Try a few variations & be persistent:
· Re-boot in "Disable driver signing enforcement" mode (a variation of Safe Mode).
· Install the driver against the Video Controller showing an error.
· Try installing the XP driver instead (I ended up doing this only to end up with no Display Driver installed which seemed to help with then installing the Vista driver).
going to try it tonight when i get home