Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

[SOLVED] My laptop cursor stops working

3K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  joeten 
#1 ·
Hi Everyone,

Firstly, I would like to thank everyone for looking into this post. I have a Compaq laptop with Windows 7. I have had it for over a year and it has never given me any problems. However lately, (in the last week or so) I have had this problem where all of a sudden my cursor stops working and the whole system freezes. Nothing seems to work unless i reboot my system. Upon rebooting everything works fine for about cpl of hours and sometimes only for about cpl of minutes and then the same thing happens again. It is really frustrating and I have no idea what is causing this to happen??? I just use the touch pad ; i have no external usb connected. Please help.

#4 · (Edited)
Re: My laptop cursor stops working

Let me second Joe's thoughts with there is nothing to clean in a registry therefore the only thinking you can really do here is harm your operating system with such programs. Cleaning junk off hard drives used to be important when drives were small and stuffed but today most are so big and 2/3 empty the whole thought is meaningless.

#5 ·

Test with a USB mouse, and check the system temperatures in BIOS.

Also, see if there's any heavy CPU usage in Task Manager, and look in Event Viewer.

#8 ·

In the end, it seems to have been a registry issue. Cccleaner seems to have fixed the problem as I've had no issues in the last 48 hours plus. Thanks Dbrown1111 for pointing it out and solving the issue and also everyone for contributing their valuable thoughts. Cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.