Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows 7 Support, Windows Vista Support

[SOLVED] My laptop cursor stops working

This is a discussion on [SOLVED] My laptop cursor stops working within the Windows 7 Support, Windows Vista Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi Everyone, Firstly, I would like to thank everyone for looking into this post. I have a Compaq laptop with

Old 04-06-2013, 10:02 AM   #1
Registered Member

Hi Everyone,

Firstly, I would like to thank everyone for looking into this post. I have a Compaq laptop with Windows 7. I have had it for over a year and it has never given me any problems. However lately, (in the last week or so) I have had this problem where all of a sudden my cursor stops working and the whole system freezes. Nothing seems to work unless i reboot my system. Upon rebooting everything works fine for about cpl of hours and sometimes only for about cpl of minutes and then the same thing happens again. It is really frustrating and I have no idea what is causing this to happen??? I just use the touch pad ; i have no external usb connected. Please help.

Old 04-06-2013, 10:09 AM   #2
Registered Member

When this happens it means you registry problems. Download ccleaner: CCleaner - PC Optimization and Cleaning - Free Download

Old 04-06-2013, 10:16 AM   #3
Microsoft-Team Manager
Hardware - Team Manager

Do not use reg cleaners they seldom solve anything and can cause further problems, try a clean boot to troubleshoot Perform a clean startup to determine whether background programs are interfering with your game or program
How to perform a clean boot to troubleshoot a problem in Windows 8, Windows 7, or Windows Vista

Eliminate all other factors, and the one which remains must be the truth.
joeten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 10:44 AM   #4
Team Manager - Hardware

My System

Let me second Joe's thoughts with there is nothing to clean in a registry therefore the only thinking you can really do here is harm your operating system with such programs. Cleaning junk off hard drives used to be important when drives were small and stuffed but today most are so big and 2/3 empty the whole thought is meaningless.

All PC's are not the same. Posting your PC specs will help us to assist you quicker and effectively.
Rich-M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 10:48 AM   #5
Moderator Hardware Team

My System

Test with a USB mouse, and check the system temperatures in BIOS.

Also, see if there's any heavy CPU usage in Task Manager, and look in Event Viewer.
Old 04-06-2013, 05:46 PM   #6
Registered Member

I followed the instructions and performed a clean boot - however problem still persists. everything literally comes to a standstill and i have no option but to restart windows.
Old 04-07-2013, 06:20 AM   #7
Microsoft-Team Manager
Hardware - Team Manager

Check the temps HWMonitor - CPUID - System & hardware benchmark, monitoring, reporting

Old 04-09-2013, 11:14 PM   #8
Registered Member

Thumbs Up

In the end, it seems to have been a registry issue. Cccleaner seems to have fixed the problem as I've had no issues in the last 48 hours plus. Thanks Dbrown1111 for pointing it out and solving the issue and also everyone for contributing their valuable thoughts. Cheers!
Old 04-10-2013, 03:57 AM   #9
Microsoft-Team Manager
Hardware - Team Manager

Be very wary of reg cleaners they seldom solve a issue