Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows 7 Support, Windows Vista Support

[SOLVED] My computer is randomly shutting down, WHY???

This is a discussion on [SOLVED] My computer is randomly shutting down, WHY??? within the Windows 7 Support, Windows Vista Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi, I have recently bought a new laptop, an Acer aspire 5820T laptop. When I read about the description of

Closed Thread

Old 05-01-2011, 02:30 PM   #1
Registered Member

Hi,

I have recently bought a new laptop, an Acer aspire 5820T laptop. When I read about the description of this laptop, the 8 hour battery life and massive HDD, I was very impressed and so I decided to buy it. Everything was running smoothly until I noted that the laptop had shut down, all on it's own. I turned it back on and it was fine. It done the exact same thing a couple of days ago and now a third time only a few minutes ago. I'm starting to get a bit worried about this now and want to know if there are any tips on what I should be doing. I will add that when my laptop is in use, it runs on it's battery and when I have finished with it I just close the lid leaving the power on, the computer then goes into 'hibernate' mode. Overnight, I hook my computer up to the mains to fully charge overnight. Earlier today I was talking to my Dad about leaving the computer on 'hibernate' when computer is not in use and now I have decided to 'shut down' the computer when not in use. I don't know if this will make any difference. The computer has an 8 hour battery life so I assumed it was able to last long lengths of time without the mains.
If nothing can really be done, I'm guessing I can take it back to the store I got it from and let them sort it out, I do have guarentee after all.

-MJ-

Old 05-01-2011, 03:03 PM   #2
Team Manager, Microsoft Support
Microsoft MVP
BSOD Kernel Dump Expert

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

Do the shutdowns occur when A/C plugged in or when on battery only?

Old 05-01-2011, 03:30 PM   #3
Registered Member

Send a message via Skype™ to Digirati

Just in case you didn't know, when a system goes into hibernation, it saves everything that's going on to the HDD and then shuts down. It's a lot like sleep mode, but in sleep mode, the system doesn't fully shut down. When you power on the system after a hibernation, everything is supposed to be already loaded and in the exact state you left it. It's startup is only marginally shorter than powering on from a regular shutdown.
Old 05-02-2011, 02:41 AM   #4
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcgriff2 View Post
Do the shutdowns occur when A/C plugged in or when on battery only?
The shutdowns have only occured when the computer is being used during use, no A/C plugged in at all.
Old 05-02-2011, 02:50 AM   #5
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digirati View Post
Just in case you didn't know, when a system goes into hibernation, it saves everything that's going on to the HDD and then shuts down. It's a lot like sleep mode, but in sleep mode, the system doesn't fully shut down. When you power on the system after a hibernation, everything is supposed to be already loaded and in the exact state you left it. It's startup is only marginally shorter than powering on from a regular shutdown.
Digirati, are you saying that I am an inquisitive idiot? That's a bit harsh. I am a bit of a dummy when it comes to computers but I am certainly not an idiot. I didn't know that when a computer goes into hibernation or sleep mode that the system saves everything that is going on at the time, I only assumed that by closing the lid and making the computer go into hibernation that this will save on electricity, I assumed it was similar to shutting down. So in other words, I shouldn't hibernate so much, right?
Old 05-02-2011, 02:57 AM   #6
Registered Member

man HE IS SAYING RITE
BUT QUESTION IS THAT LAST TIME IN MY OFFICE APEAR THE SAME CASE JUT LIKE U .MY CLIENT TOLD ME THAT MY LAPTOP AUTOMATICALY SHUTING DOWN AFTER 10 MINT BUT WHEN I CHECK IT ITS GOES ON STAND BY MODE
PLEASE CHECK FROM CONTROL PENNEL MAY BE IT FIXXX EVERY VALUE WILL BE SET ON NAVER
Old 05-03-2011, 07:48 AM   #7
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rashidjaved View Post
man HE IS SAYING RITE
BUT QUESTION IS THAT LAST TIME IN MY OFFICE APEAR THE SAME CASE JUT LIKE U .MY CLIENT TOLD ME THAT MY LAPTOP AUTOMATICALY SHUTING DOWN AFTER 10 MINT BUT WHEN I CHECK IT ITS GOES ON STAND BY MODE
PLEASE CHECK FROM CONTROL PENNEL MAY BE IT FIXXX EVERY VALUE WILL BE SET ON NAVER
Once I had told my Dad about this problem I am having with the computer shutting down all by itself, he had been searching himself for answers on his own computer. He found an article about a guy having a similar problem and was told to do something in his comtrol panel like what you were saying. I have had a little look in the control panel myself but am not exactly sure what I should be looking for. My operating system is windows 7 just to let you know and remember, I can be a bit of a dummy when it comes to computers which is why I would rather ask exactly what I am looking for.
Old 05-03-2011, 03:45 PM   #8
Microsoft MVP
BSOD Kernel Dump Expert

Yes.. are you sure the laptop is completely powering down and not going into hibernation or sleep?

They may claim 8 hour battery life, but I doubt that you will ever get near that number.

Reset power options -
START | type power | "Power Options" | "change plan settings" | "Restore default settings for this plan"

Info from Microsoft on Power Options -

Power management - Windows 7 features - Microsoft Windows

Windows 7 Features: Power Management

Says "Vista", but applicable to Windows 7 - Power plans: frequently asked questions

Regards. . .

jcgriff2

`
Old 05-04-2011, 02:17 AM   #9
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcgriff2 View Post
Yes.. are you sure the laptop is completely powering down and not going into hibernation or sleep?

They may claim 8 hour battery life, but I doubt that you will ever get near that number.

Reset power options -
START | type power | "Power Options" | "change plan settings" | "Restore default settings for this plan"

Info from Microsoft on Power Options -

Power management - Windows 7 features - Microsoft Windows

Windows 7 Features: Power Management

Says "Vista", but applicable to Windows 7 - Power plans: frequently asked questions

Regards. . .

jcgriff2

`
When the computer shuts down, the blue light in the top left corner of the keypad goes out. I will add that the first time I experienced the computer shutting down by itself, I'm sure I was in the middle of typing out a message to a friend.

My Dad even said the same thing about the battery life. It claims to have 8 hours but you will probably not get near that number. In the bottom right hand corner of the screen, a symbol of the current battery life says "4:37 min (94% remaining)". Just a few minutes ago it said I had over 2 hours and the other day when I looked it said I had over 7 hours! So the amount of battery life is constantly changing... for some reason.

Thanks for showing me where to go to in the control panel for power options. When I went to restore the power plan to default, nothing happened because it already was on default. But I did notice that after 5 minutes of being idle, the screen goes dim, I have witnessed this and after 10 minutes it will turn off the display, and after 15 minutes it puts the computer to sleep. So it sounds to me like this is the answer to my problem. I have changed around the power options and hope that helps, thank you for guiding me in the right direction though. But one thing is though, if the computer was to automatically go into sleep mode after 15 mins then is the blue light in the top right corner of the keypad meant to go out too. It looks to me as if the whole thing has shut down.
Old 05-04-2011, 05:02 PM   #10
Microsoft MVP
BSOD Kernel Dump Expert

It depends on the laptop and model. I have a blue light, top-right corner, but it is for wifi and does go out during sleep, as do all other indicator lights.

As for the battery life and time remaining, my Windows 7 systems tell me % remaining, which can vary, depending on the tasks you and the system (behind the scenes) are doing.

Good Luck to you - enjoy your new system.

Regards. . .

jcgriff2

`

Closed Thread