Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows 7 Support, Windows Vista Support

[SOLVED] Microphone input not working

This is a discussion on [SOLVED] Microphone input not working within the Windows 7 Support, Windows Vista Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I have a Windows 7 laptop and a 3.5mm jack headset. The laptop comes with a built in mic, like

Closed Thread

Old 04-05-2012, 10:23 PM   #1
TSF Enthusiast

My System

I have a Windows 7 laptop and a 3.5mm jack headset. The laptop comes with a built in mic, like many laptops, but its terrible. awful background noise, horrible quality. so i use my Cyberr acoustics headset. But as of late, its decided to just stop working. It's almost as if There is no headset in at all.

The pink jack goes in the mic input and the green goes in the headphone input, and u can still hear out of the headphones, but the mic isnt working. its not a problem with the headse, because i have 2 of the same headsets and they both do the same. they used to work, now they dont... there must be a problem with the laptop?

Does anyone know what the problem is?

Old 04-06-2012, 03:54 AM   #2
Team Manager, Microsoft Support
Microsoft MVP
BSOD Kernel Dump Expert

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

Go into Device Manager and uninstall ALL audio devices.

Reboot the system - see if the audio works properly.

Old 04-06-2012, 09:59 AM   #3
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcgriff2 View Post
Go into Device Manager and uninstall ALL audio devices.

Reboot the system - see if the audio works properly.
Uninstall these?

I just want to be sure, this seems a bit drastic..
Old 04-06-2012, 05:42 PM   #4
Microsoft MVP
BSOD Kernel Dump Expert

Yes... then reboot.

Windows will reinstall the drivers.

Be sure to check Realtek Control Panel as well - that MIC is on.
Old 04-12-2012, 07:12 PM   #5
TSF Enthusiast

My System

\ok i uninstalled them, and rebooted. They reinstalled.

It works for a few seconds, then quits. Every time i plug it in, it will not continue to work. Only for a few seconds.

idk
Old 04-12-2012, 07:15 PM   #6
Microsoft MVP
BSOD Kernel Dump Expert

Have you tried it in another system?
Old 04-14-2012, 02:20 PM   #7
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcgriff2 View Post
Have you tried it in another system?
Yes. They work on my windows XP system.
Old 04-14-2012, 05:29 PM   #8
MBA, MCITP, MCSA, Sec+

OS: Windows XP Pro SP3, Windows 7 Pro x64, Windows Server 2008 R2

My System

Send a message via MSN to mjones1 Send a message via Skype™ to mjones1

Test another microphone, if you have one. Rule out that mic (just because of works on an XP machine, doesn't necessarily mean it still isn't the problem.

If a completely different microphone does the same thing, consider it a hardware/jack problem (poorly soldered, disconnected, failed, however you want to put it).

Also, to be thorough, this wouldn't happen to be a USB mic, would it? That would be a whole new ball of yarn.
Old 04-17-2012, 01:10 PM   #9
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjones1 View Post
Test another microphone, if you have one. Rule out that mic (just because of works on an XP machine, doesn't necessarily mean it still isn't the problem.

If a completely different microphone does the same thing, consider it a hardware/jack problem (poorly soldered, disconnected, failed, however you want to put it).

Also, to be thorough, this wouldn't happen to be a USB mic, would it? That would be a whole new ball of yarn.
Its a pink/green jack mic. It does not work on my Windows 7 laptop, but DOES work on my Windows XP desktop. Also, my USB mic does work. On both my laptop/desktop. So Im assuming it has something to do with recording volume setting on the laptop? But i dont remember changing anything, and it did used to work.
Old 04-18-2012, 12:23 AM   #10
TSF Team, Emeritus

OS: Windows 8 64, Windows 7 64 Bit SP1, XP SP3, Mac OSX

My System

I see you have a Web Cam, which probably has a Mic on it, as well as the onboard Mic of the computer. Go to Control Panel/Sound/Recording tab, here make your USB mic the Default device for recording.

Closed Thread