Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows 7 Support, Windows Vista Support

[SOLVED] Many Boot problems with my computer. Please Help.

This is a discussion on [SOLVED] Many Boot problems with my computer. Please Help. within the Windows 7 Support, Windows Vista Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I have a list of different problems that happen when I try to boot or restart my computer so it

Closed Thread

Old 04-11-2012, 05:02 PM   #1
Registered Member

OS: Windows Vista Home Basic, Service Pack 2, 32-bit Operating System

I have a list of different problems that happen when I try to boot or restart my computer so it was hard to search for an answer anywhere.

I'll tell you in steps what happens.

1. I boot my computer and turn it on

2. The computer light is on, the keyboard light is on, but the mouse light isn't, and the monitor light just blinks on and off (like when it's waiting to start up)

3. It takes about 30 minutes or more to start doing something.

4. The mouse light is on the monitor makes an annoying (very constant) clicking noise and takes about 1 minute or so for the screen to turn on. (It's been doing that before this new problem as well..every time it comes back from stand by)

5. The screen finally comes on and something similar to this screen comes up

6. It says press F2 to resume...or press F10 for settings or something.

7. I press F2
8. A black screen that says "Enter Password" comes up
9. I don't know any passwords..so I pressed enter until it went away.

10. It says incorrect password and some other stuff, then goes to another screen that says "Reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media and press any key" (I don't have any of those)

And that is where I'm stuck now.

I can't getting into any BIOS settings. I've tried pressing F10, del, or any other BIOS settings button when, before, and after the american megatrends screen comes up, but it all takes my back to "Enter Password". I've tried getting to safe mode when booting by pressing the safe mode button (I've tried different ones) and it has no effect and the american megatrends still comes up. I even tried putting in a disc for formatting the computer. Step #2 happens again and stays there for hours. I also tried CTRL + ALT+ DELETE and step #2 happens again. GRRRR!!

I feel like I've tried everything except take my computer apart, which I won't do because I'm not a computer expert and I don't know enough about computer parts to try anything. I wouldn't want to damage my computer. I don't have anything to weld anything. I don't think it's wise to mess with computer batteries or motherboards when I don't know what I'm doing.

So please does anyone know what my problem is...Is there's something I was supposed to do or could do before or after the 10 steps? Is my computer dead? please give me suggestions. I'm tired of restarting it without a solution and being stuck at the same point every time...this has been going on all day.

Computer Info
-Intel (R) Celeron (R) D CPU 3.46GHz
-Windows Vista Home Basic Service Pack 2 build 6002
-Compaq Presario: Product#- RR90AA-ABA, Model#- SR2150NX
-Build 71NAv3PrA2
-Video Card: ATI Radeon Xpress 1100 series
-Motherboard: ECS Alehna5 1.0
-RAM: 512MB
-Cache RAM: 512kb
-Total Physical Memory: 447MB
-Available Physical Memory: 66MB

Old 04-11-2012, 05:39 PM   #2
- Microsoft Support

OS: Windows 8.1 64bit/Ubuntu 14 LTS 64bit via Vm Player

My System

Someone changed your BIOS settings boot order, or your hard drive is failing, also might have set a password. Does anyone else use your computer?

Virus Help
Ubuntu Live CD
PC Running Slow?
Memtest
UBCD
Remember dust buildup in your PC can be a killer!!
Old 04-12-2012, 01:06 AM   #3
TSF Team, Emeritus

OS: Windows 8 64, Windows 7 64 Bit SP1, XP SP3, Mac OSX

My System

Quote:
I press F2
A black screen that says "Enter Password" comes up
Someone has set a Bios Password on the computer. You will not be able to enter the computer unless you enter the Bios Password. As Jack asked, is there someone else that had access to your computer?
We cannot assist you with Passwords here. You will need to find the person that set the bios password.
Old 04-12-2012, 05:33 AM   #4
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackBauer_24
Someone changed your BIOS settings boot order, or your hard drive is failing, also might have set a password. Does anyone else use your computer?
In the American Megatrends screen above F2 it did say Drive Error.

Also, I share my computer with my family, but only me and one other person restarts the computer or does anything to with computer settings. We both don't know how to reset passwords for BIOS, so I know for sure we didn't do that. We never even knew passwords for that existed.

As for the others they just use the computer for watching YouTube or checking emails.

I don't know what to do without a password.
Old 04-12-2012, 09:30 AM   #5
- Microsoft Support

OS: Windows 8.1 64bit/Ubuntu 14 LTS 64bit via Vm Player

My System

Someone has set a password which is done in BIOS. It does not do it by itself. I would start interrogating people in your house hold.

Virus Help
Ubuntu Live CD
PC Running Slow?
Memtest
UBCD
Remember dust buildup in your PC can be a killer!!
Old 04-12-2012, 02:08 PM   #6
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackBauer_24
Someone has set a password which is done in BIOS. It does not do it by itself. I would start interrogating people in your house hold.
I asked everyone they said no and no one even knows what that is. We were all shocked because before this happened we were able to start the computer without using any passwords. I don't know how to set BIOS passwords and no one else knows how. I know this for a fact.

Trust me no one went into password reset settings or however you do it (I don't even know). Are you sure my computer didn't reset the password or change back to default settings or something, because of the drive error?
Old 04-12-2012, 02:12 PM   #7
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spunk.funk
Someone has set a Bios Password on the computer. You will not be able to enter the computer unless you enter the Bios Password. As Jack asked, is there someone else that had access to your computer?
We cannot assist you with Passwords here. You will need to find the person that set the bios password.
So is there nothing I can do without a password? No one changed or set anything.
If my only solution is a password then my computer will be in a coma forever.
Old 04-13-2012, 03:24 PM   #8
Registered Member

Now I have a brand new problem. After booting it, it came back right into sleep mode (I think that's what the blinking monitor means) and the keyboard and mouse lights are not on. I'm really sad now...please tell me if my computer is gone. I need to know if nothing will work and I need to buy a new one.
Old 04-13-2012, 03:31 PM   #9
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

Quote:
In the American Megatrends screen above F2 it did say Drive Error.
Download the ISO image for either Seatools, Drive Fitness or WD DataLifeGuard. Burn the image to CD using IMGBurn in my signature and boot off of the newly created CD and run the Short and the Long tests on the drive.
Old 04-13-2012, 03:57 PM   #10
Registered Member

Quote:
Download the ISO image for either Seatools, Drive Fitness or WD DataLifeGuard. Burn the image to CD using IMGBurn in my signature and boot off of the newly created CD and run the Short and the Long tests on the drive.

Right now I'm asking questions and replying from an iPhone and the only other computer around is a Mac. They don't have IMGBurn.

My computer is completely stuck in sleep mode or whatever it's doing. The mouse and keyboard don't work. The monitor light just blinks on and off. I cant even turn it in or off without booting it. So I can't download or burn through my computer.

Do you know how I can burn these things on a Mac or... I don't know... What should I do?
Old 04-13-2012, 04:06 PM   #11
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

Yes, on the Mac, You do not need IMGBurn to burn an ISO image on a Mac. Go to Utilities/Disk Utility. Select the ISO image you have downloaded put a blank disc in the burner go up to the tool bar to Burn. It will burn the ISO image to CD. Take the CD over to the troubled computer and restart it, you may need to press F2 keyto enter the Bios and set the CD rom drive as First Boot Device. You should see the message Press Any Key to Boot From CD.
If you can't boot off of a CD then you probably need to replace the Power Supply Unit.
Old 04-13-2012, 04:23 PM   #12
Registered Member

Quote:
Yes, on the Mac, You do not need IMGBurn to burn an ISO image on a Mac. Go to Utilities/Disk Utility. Select the ISO image you have downloaded put a blank disc in the burner go up to the tool bar to Burn. It will burn the ISO image to CD. Take the CD over to the troubled computer and restart it, you may need to press F2 keyto enter the Bios and set the CD rom drive as First Boot Device. You should see the message Press Any Key to Boot From CD.
If you can't boot off of a CD then you probably need to replace the Power Supply Unit.
Oh ok, Thank you. I'll try that and get back to you.
Old 04-13-2012, 07:53 PM   #13
Registered Member

Quote:
So, I burned the file to the disc put the disc in the busted computer. The disc started running and stopped and nothing happened. I restarted the computer and put the disc in and nothing happened. I restarted the computer with the disc in it, so it could read the disc as soon as starts, nothing happened.

The only thing that happened was that monitor light blinking slowly on and off, on and off. The keyboard and mouse still aren't working.

It may be a problem with the screen because not one menu comes up. As soon as the computer turns on it's in the state where the monitor is blinking (sleep mode if that's what that is).What does this mean when the mouse and keyboard's lights aren't on and they aren't working, and the monitor light slowly blinks on and off.

I have had problems with the monitor, where it makes clicking sounds like crazy before it starts showing me anything and I can't use anything until it's done. Recently it would take hours after restarting before it would even do that craziness.

I think I might go insane soon lol :p
Old 04-13-2012, 08:02 PM   #14
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushi247 View Post
I have a list of different problems that happen when I try to boot or restart my computer so it was hard to search for an answer anywhere.

I'll tell you in steps what happens.

1. I boot my computer and turn it on

2. The computer light is on, the keyboard light is on, but the mouse light isn't, and the monitor light just blinks on and off (like when it's waiting to start up)

3. It takes about 30 minutes or more to start doing something.

4. The mouse light is on the monitor makes an annoying (very constant) clicking noise and takes about 1 minute or so for the screen to turn on. (It's been doing that before this new problem as well..every time it comes back from stand by)

5. The screen finally comes on and something similar to this screen comes up

6. It says press F2 to resume...or press F10 for settings or something.

7. I press F2
8. A black screen that says "Enter Password" comes up
9. I don't know any passwords..so I pressed enter until it went away.

10. It says incorrect password and some other stuff, then goes to another screen that says "Reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media and press any key" (I don't have any of those)

And that is where I'm stuck now.

I can't getting into any BIOS settings. I've tried pressing F10, del, or any other BIOS settings button when, before, and after the american megatrends screen comes up, but it all takes my back to "Enter Password". I've tried getting to safe mode when booting by pressing the safe mode button (I've tried different ones) and it has no effect and the american megatrends still comes up. I even tried putting in a disc for formatting the computer. Step #2 happens again and stays there for hours. I also tried CTRL + ALT+ DELETE and step #2 happens again. GRRRR!!

I feel like I've tried everything except take my computer apart, which I won't do because I'm not a computer expert and I don't know enough about computer parts to try anything. I wouldn't want to damage my computer. I don't have anything to weld anything. I don't think it's wise to mess with computer batteries or motherboards when I don't know what I'm doing.

So please does anyone know what my problem is...Is there's something I was supposed to do or could do before or after the 10 steps? Is my computer dead? please give me suggestions. I'm tired of restarting it without a solution and being stuck at the same point every time...this has been going on all day.

Computer Info
-Intel (R) Celeron (R) D CPU 3.46GHz
-Windows Vista Home Basic Service Pack 2 build 6002
-Compaq Presario: Product#- RR90AA-ABA, Model#- SR2150NX
-Build 71NAv3PrA2
-Video Card: ATI Radeon Xpress 1100 series
-Motherboard: ECS Alehna5 1.0
-RAM: 512MB
-Cache RAM: 512kb
-Total Physical Memory: 447MB
-Available Physical Memory: 66MB

Many possibilities as per the details you have left
possibility the boot sector is missin or corrupt can be resolved by reinstalling the operating system

hdd has gone bad can be resolved after purchasin a new hard drive

do you have a vista re installation disk
Old 04-13-2012, 08:18 PM   #15
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hanrickjones

Many possibilities as per the details you have left
possibility the boot sector is missin or corrupt can be resolved by reinstalling the operating system

hdd has gone bad can be resolved after purchasin a new hard drive

do you have a vista re installation disk
Well, it was a store model so I don't have that. All I have is recovery disc, but that doesn't make difference because the screen won't turn on at all. The monitor just sits there with it's light blinking on and off slowly like it's trying to taunt me. No discs are working unless it wakes up from it's annoying sleep or coma....which it's not doing.
Old 04-13-2012, 08:22 PM   #16
Registered Member

Quote:
Well, it was a store model so I don't have that. All I have is recovery disc, but that doesn't make difference because the screen won't turn on at all. The monitor just sits there with it's light blinking on and off slowly like it's trying to taunt me. No discs are working unless it wakes up from it's annoying sleep or coma....which it's not doing.

remove the power cable press and hold the power button for atleast 10 without the power cable pluged in and then connect the cable back to the system and power it back on... to see if that would make any change to it
Old 04-13-2012, 08:31 PM   #17
Registered Member

Quote:

remove the power cable press and hold the power button for atleast 10 without the power cable pluged in and then connect the cable back to the system and power it back on... to see if that would make any change to it
Went right back to sleep. :(
Old 04-13-2012, 08:38 PM   #18
Registered Member

Quote:
Went right back to sleep. :(
few more details required just in case if i have overlooked to your post

system manf.
how old is it.

possibility is no post
Old 04-13-2012, 08:40 PM   #19
Registered Member

I also now noticed something very strange.
When I turn the computer off the monitor doesn't shut off with it...it stays the same...continuing to blink slowly. What is that?!
Old 04-13-2012, 08:45 PM   #20
Registered Member

Quote:

few more details required just in case if i have overlooked to your post

system manf.
how old is it.

possibility is no post
My computer is a Compaq Presario SR2150NX
We got it in 2005. But it's probably older because it was a display computer.