Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows 7 Support, Windows Vista Support

[SOLVED] magnifier stuck in task bar

This is a discussion on [SOLVED] magnifier stuck in task bar within the Windows 7 Support, Windows Vista Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. hi, I got the magnifier to show in the task bar and now i cannot unpin it. there's no option

Closed Thread

Old 04-21-2011, 08:47 AM   #1
Registered Member

hi,
I got the magnifier to show in the task bar and now i cannot unpin it. there's no option to unpin. Dont remember what I did to get it in the task bar.
any thoughts? thanks, bob

Old 04-21-2011, 10:54 AM   #2
Registered Member

Check under control panel - accessibility. I believe. Possibly all programs, accessories, accessibility. There should be options there for magnifier. Let ne know what you find.

Old 04-21-2011, 11:01 AM   #3
Registered Member

I find the magnifier there but no option to pin or unpin
Old 04-21-2011, 02:50 PM   #4
Registered Member

What version of windows are you running?
Old 04-21-2011, 07:26 PM   #5
- Microsoft Support

OS: XP, Vista, Seven, & a whole host you would never have heard of.

Hi Bob, first you have to "unlock" the taskbar right click in it and uncheck the lock, then select properties then notification area and customize you will find an option to hide there. Lock your taskbar when done.

Old 04-22-2011, 06:16 AM   #6
Registered Member

Thanks for your replies,
Win 7 ultimate. I may have given wrong info. The magnifier shortcut that I am trying to delete is in the quick launch area on the left.
Old 04-22-2011, 04:03 PM   #7
- Microsoft Support

Hi, what happens when you right click on the shortcut and select "delete" (it only removes the shortcut btw).

Old 04-23-2011, 05:10 PM   #8
Registered Member

There's no option to delete. Don't think its a shortcut after all. It was not a simple thing like pin to task bar. I had to go thru several steps to get it to show in the task bar. Don't remember what that was.
Old 04-23-2011, 06:13 PM   #9
- Microsoft Support

Hi, we finally have it now. Go to start, search and type:- control folders click on what it finds at the top, folder options will open. Select "View" and put a check in "show hidden files and folders" then uncheck "hide protected operating system files(Recommended)" ignore the warning (you will go back and undo this when finished).

Now right click on the start orb and select "open explorer". We need to navigate to c:\users\YOUR USER NAME\AppData\Roaming then expand roaming click on "Microsoft" then Internet explorer now expand Quick Launch find your Magnifier right click and delete.

The path on this computer is:-C:\Users\Paul\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch

Do not forget to reset your folder options when finished.

Old 04-24-2011, 08:00 AM   #10
Registered Member

Thank you for your help,
I did that and it does not show. I also looked under user pinned where my other shortcuts are which are right next to the magnifier shortcut or program icon. Its not there either. I know that this is not a big problem but sometimes when I boot the magnifier is turned on and I have to close it. Driving me nuts. I think we have to look into a registry fix for this one.
Bob
Old 04-24-2011, 09:01 AM   #11
Registered Member

Fixed,
Went to the magnifier.exe. Changed ownership and moved the file to another location.
thanks to all for helping.
Old 04-24-2011, 02:52 PM   #12
- Microsoft Support

Hi, thanks for letting us know most unusual the location above is where they show in file manager (ie their path) how magnifier worked as a one click is surprising. Glad you got it sorted.

Closed Thread