Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows 7 Support, Windows Vista Support

[SOLVED] Installing win7 from flash drive

This is a discussion on [SOLVED] Installing win7 from flash drive within the Windows 7 Support, Windows Vista Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Im trying to do a clean install of windows 7 to my XP, but I will be using a flashdrive

Closed Thread

Old 04-05-2012, 10:17 AM   #1
Registered Member

Im trying to do a clean install of windows 7 to my XP, but I will be using a flashdrive because I dont have a DVD drive for this computer.

First I made sure my usb becomes bootable by typing the following in the command prompt

Diskpart
list disk
select disk 1 1 is my usb disk
clean
create partition primary
select partition 1
active
format fs=ntfs quick
assign
exit

And then
Cd boot and added bootsect.exe/ntf60 to my flash drive.
I then copied everything from the Windows 7 dvd installer to the flashdrive from a computer that has a dvd drive.

My problem is, when I select to boot from the flashdrive, it gives me the "Disk read error press ctrl alt delete to restart" instead of leading me to the installation process.
I thought the flash drive was defective so i tried using an external harddrive, but it gave me the same error.
The media/installer is not defected either. It runs on the other computer.

Any ideas?

Old 04-05-2012, 11:10 AM   #2
Microsoft-Team Manager
Hardware - Team Manager

Hi see if this method works any better Install Windows 7 From USB

Eliminate all other factors, and the one which remains must be the truth.
Old 04-05-2012, 10:39 PM   #3
Registered Member

Thanks! That site helped
Old 04-06-2012, 09:21 AM   #4
Microsoft-Team Manager
Hardware - Team Manager

Glad to hear it your welcome

Eliminate all other factors, and the one which remains must be the truth.
Closed Thread

Search this Thread:

Advanced Search