Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows 7 Support, Windows Vista Support

[SOLVED] HELP PLEASE!! Windows could not search for updates

This is a discussion on [SOLVED] HELP PLEASE!! Windows could not search for updates within the Windows 7 Support, Windows Vista Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. On my parents PC, which is running the Vista OS, when I try to get Windows updates I get this

Closed Thread

Old 09-20-2009, 09:29 AM   #1
Registered Member

On my parents PC, which is running the Vista OS, when I try to get Windows updates I get this message and error code:

Windows Update could not search for new updates. Code: 80080005

Anyone have any ideas??

I have done a full scan with McAfee VirusScan 2009 (with up to date defs), and a full Spybot search for spyware. Both return no problems.

Old 09-20-2009, 09:38 AM   #2
- Microsoft Support

Take a look here for more information on troubleshooting that issue. Seems like you're not alone.

From time to time, we have been tempted to believe that society has become too complex to be managed by self-rule, that government by an elite group is superior to government for, by, and of the people. But if no one among us is capable of governing himself, then who among us has the capacity to govern someone else?
-Ronald Reagan, 1981 Inaugural Address-
Old 09-25-2009, 10:59 AM   #3
Registered Member

I have not had any luck so far with the options found in that thread. Anyone have anymore ideas? I did a registry cleaning a while back with CC Cleaner. Could this have caused it?
Old 09-25-2009, 11:11 AM   #4
Team Manager, Microsoft Support
Microsoft MVP
BSOD Kernel Dump Expert

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

Hi -

I would remove McAfee. Its personal firewall is infamous for blocking Windows Updates. McAfee's competitiors do the same.

Un-install McAfee using the McAfee Removal Tool (MRT) - http://download.mcafee.com/products/...tches/MCPR.exe

Download the McAfee Removal Tool (MRT); save to desktop. Then go to desktop, RIGHT-click on the MRT icon and select Run as Administrator. When complete - re-boot.

Reset the Windows Firewall to its default settings -
START | type FirewallSettings.exe into the start search box | click on FirewallSettings.exe above | select the Advanced Tab | click on "Restore Defaults" | Click Apply, OK

Use AVG for a/v if you wish - http://free.avg.com/download-avg-ant...s-free-edition

Regards. . .

jcgriff2

`
Old 09-25-2009, 03:52 PM   #5
Registered Member

You really think it could be McAfee huh? I use it on two other XP PC's and have had great luck, but this particular one is Vista, maybe that makes a difference?
Old 09-25-2009, 05:06 PM   #6
Registered Member

Tried it and disabling the McAfee personal firewall and restoring firewall defaults does not help.

I noticed under the list of installed updates that the most recent one, SP2 for Vista, is listed as "failed". This may be my whole problem??

Can I use system restore using a restore point that is older than the atempted SP2 Vista update?