Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

[SOLVED] Help Needed with Mouse!

2K views 29 replies 3 participants last post by  Fjandr 
#1 · (Edited)
Well first time here but I really need some help. So I'm running windows 7 home premium on my current computer, and well my mouse just freezes up. I've searched almost everywhere and seems like many people have this problem, only to find that most of their problems have been solved and yet, my issue has completely different problems.

To start, my mouse would freeze randomly, whether it's the first minute i boot up my pc or it's been a few hours since I've turned it on. By freeze, I mean the mouse just stops working, cursor stuck and mouse function does nothing. Keyboard still works however when my mouse is in another computer, it works fine.

Here's the problem where it splits off from every other issue that I've read online. When the mouse freezes, only the mouse stops and the only temporary fix would be to restart the computer. When I mean only the mouse stops, everything else is working fine. I could unplug the mouse and switch to another usb port with no success. I could use a different, yet working, mouse and that mouse won't respond either when I plug it into the usb port.

I know the usb port is working because my mouse still gets power (light is on), and also I can plug in a wire that connects to my phone as a usb mass storage device and that will work flawlessly. I should mention that when my mouse freezes, I DO NOT get the sound that says a device was disconnected, in fact I don't get any error messages. Although I was lucky one time and did get one that said something along the lines of: my usb ports haved malfunctioned and that there was an unknown device that windows didn't recognize. Though I've searched up those problems and solutions and those don't work at all for me.

Other solutions I've tried include reinstalling drivers of all sorts, reinstalling the universal bus controllers, unplugging the computer and letting it sit idle for about 20+ minutes before plugging the power back in. Sorry for the what seems to be a wall of text, but I'm getting pretty desperate here. I haven't even had this mouse for even a year yet (came with my gateway pc) or the fact that the other mouse I tried isn't even two years old yet and I'm having these problems.

Some other info I might as well list is that the current mouse I'm using doesn't really have a name other than a "HID - compliant mouse). The other mouse I tried is a Microsoft optical wheel mouse. Any type of help would really be appreciated.

Edit: I forgot to add that there were no updates prior to this problem, it just occurred randomly one day. And also another thing I noted is that when I'm playing games, I noticed while playing that when the mouse freezes, it's like the game also freezes with it, as if it was lagging. So the problem either affects the mouse and the online games I play, or it even affects the whole computer during that time. Not sure about this part though.

See less See more
#3 · (Edited)
Re: Help Needed with Mouse!

I'll give safe mode a try. Currently, I have yet to run into any problems at the moment with safe mode.

Update: I'm running to the first stages of the problem where the mouse freezes for 1-2 seconds before going back to normal. Though I have yet to seen it fully freeze, however I feel that I will run into the problem again soon because the moment I noticed this symptom of freezing for 1-2 seconds, it tends to occur more frequently over time before it freezes completely.

#8 · (Edited)

Just tried the system file check and indeed I had some corrupted files and had it repaired. I'll keep testing my mouse to see if I have any problems until tomorrow before I give the the "ok" for my solution. If there are any problems, I'll post again tomorrow since it's getting late in my area.Thank you so much for your help oscer.

Edit: Actually, looks like I spoke too soon. Darn it, hasn't even been 20 minutes since this post and it's already happening again.

#10 ·

Looks like the system file check was not my solution after all. The mouse had a few hiccups and eventually it went back to being frozen again. As usual after it freezes, I can replug the mouse into a different usb port and be notified that the driver has installed successfully, yet there is still no sign of the mouse moving.

#11 ·

An off-the-wall suggestion for an off-the-wall problem: it may be RAM-related. I've seen some pretty odd problems that ended up boiling down to a failed chip on a RAM stick, and this is a pretty odd problem.

Here is the link to download a bootable CD image for MemTest86. Burn it to a CD using something such as ImgBurn, then reboot your computer with the disc in the drive. You should get a prompt asking you to "Press any key to boot from CD..." Press a key, then let the automated test program run through at least one full pass through your RAM.

If you don't get the boot prompt for the CD, you may need to enter your BIOS and set the optical drive to be checked for bootable media before the hard drive is attempted.

#15 ·

Attempting the check as of this moment, but I think I finally found the problem. It was probably the mouse as a I plugged it again into another computer and the mouse started freezing again, though on the second computer, the usb ports still responded to other devices such as my phone and another mouse, which is odd since my current computer still doesn't respond to the mouse only (doesn't matter which mouse, as long as it was a mouse, other items using a usb port still work though) when the freeze occurs. I'll buy a new mouse and see if that hopefully remedies the problem. Though the thought of getting a 4th mouse is really starting to scare me.

#17 ·

So being unable to buy a new mouse (they only sell wireless mouses around where I live), and after the check disk suggested by oscer, there has only been some minor hiccups from my mouse and I've yet to see it permanently freeze up for about 5 hours now after the scan. However I'm still quite worried that the issue may pop up again some time in the future. As usual if you guys have any more ideas, I would gladly try them.

#19 · (Edited)

Since I didn't want to try ubuntu, sorry about that, I was looking for ways to identify the problem to give you guys more ideas on how to fix it. Since the check disk scan, my mouse (regardless of which) has been working with few hiccups like I said before with no signs of permanent freezes yet. However I now noticed that the mouse tends to freeze up every now and then when I have programs that take on a lot of memory usage on. Programs include my Mozilla and windows media player and a gaming programing.

I should also note that without my gaming/windows media player programs on, or any combination that doesn't include 2/3, my mouse is less likely to freeze up.

#21 ·

Yes, I have 12 usb ports, 4 on front (2 front/2 top) 8 on back and only 2 ports are is use though. Once the problem of freezing occurs, both mouses, now also trying a third mouse, will freeze in all usb ports. Only the mouse is affected and nothing else using a USB port will have any problems. All three mouse is working fine before the problem occurs.

I'm finally trying ubuntu as oscer suggested and the problem still occurs.

#23 ·

It might be hardware related, but I'm not convinced since using three different mouses yield the same problem and that I've seen windows give me the message saying that it was unable to detect my device once. Not completely disagreeing with you, but even if it was hardware related, I don't know what or where to start looking for.

#25 ·

Well I can't believe what is happening right now, but someone suggested to me to try my old mouse (an even older one than the other 3, like 6-7 years old), which I thought broke a long time ago. I was lucky that I never threw it away and left it there. Gave it a try and it is working without problem, aside from the right click which works half the time, probably due to wear and tear but that's not the issue.

Guess it was a hardware problem after all. Again I'd like to give my thanks to the two of you guys for helping me. And also if everything is still working properly with the mouse tomorrow, I'll close this case with the "solved" title. If not, I'll be off to trying different mouses again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.