Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows 7 Support, Windows Vista Support

[SOLVED] Free File Sync/Windows Error Code 5, access denied

This is a discussion on [SOLVED] Free File Sync/Windows Error Code 5, access denied within the Windows 7 Support, Windows Vista Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi, i have two computers, my main desktop and a laptop. For my work i sync my files between the

Old 12-13-2012, 10:22 AM   #1
Registered Member

Hi,
i have two computers, my main desktop and a laptop. For my work i sync my files between the two over my home network using Free File Sync (ffs).

For some reason ffs will sync across from my laptop to my desktop but not from my desktop to laptop. All the sync settings are set to copy both ways, ffs is running as admin and i am the only user of both computers so they are both running as admin.
I have set up homegroup between the two and i can easily copy any file type between both computers both ways. Permissions as far as i can tell are set to allow home groups, admins and all users.
But ffs still will only sync one way from my desktop to my laptop... any ideas? (i am given the: windows error code 5: access denied message whenever i click 'sync')

many thanks

Old 12-13-2012, 01:18 PM   #2
- Microsoft Support

Are both computers running the same OS?

From time to time, we have been tempted to believe that society has become too complex to be managed by self-rule, that government by an elite group is superior to government for, by, and of the people. But if no one among us is capable of governing himself, then who among us has the capacity to govern someone else?
-Ronald Reagan, 1981 Inaugural Address-
djaburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 01:39 PM   #3
- Microsoft Support

OS: XP, Vista, Seven, & a whole host you would never have heard of.

Hi,this may be caused because the “NT Service\MpsSvc” account does not have adequate permissions on the following registry key:-

HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\SharedAccess

To resolve this follow these instructions

1. In Registry Editor, browse to the key HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\SharedAccess

2. Right click SharedAccess, and click Permissions.

3. Click Add.

4. In the “Enter the object names to select” field, type “NT SERVICE\mpssvc”. Then click CheckNames. The name should change to MpsSvc

5. Click OK.

6. Select Full Control in the Allow column.

7. Click OK.

Should take immediately, if not restart. This applies to both Vista and Seven.

jenae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 03:39 PM   #4
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by djaburg View Post
Are both computers running the same OS?
yes they are, both updated to Sp1 as well
my laptop spec:
64 bit windows 7 Sp1
Intel i5 M480 2.67Ghz
8Gb ram, DDR3 1333
Intel HD graphics
Old 12-13-2012, 03:52 PM   #5
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenae View Post
Hi,this may be caused because the “NT Service\MpsSvc” account does not have adequate permissions on the following registry key:-

HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\SharedAccess

To resolve this follow these instructions

1. In Registry Editor, browse to the key HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\SharedAccess

2. Right click SharedAccess, and click Permissions.

3. Click Add.

4. In the “Enter the object names to select” field, type “NT SERVICE\mpssvc”. Then click CheckNames. The name should change to MpsSvc

5. Click OK.

6. Select Full Control in the Allow column.

7. Click OK.

Should take immediately, if not restart. This applies to both Vista and Seven.
ran through those instructions, applied to both my desktop and my laptop but to no avail even after a restart.
still comes up with:

Cannot copy file 'E:\Data\Architecture\DESN22073 Interdisciplinary Design Studies (Broadmarsh)\CAD\Artlantis\Electronic information Board.jpg' to '\\<USER>\d\Architecture\DESN22073 Interdisciplinary Design Studies (Broadmarsh)\CAD\Artlantis\Electronic information Board.jpg'.

Windows Error Code 5: Access is denied.

I looked through the ffs support but either there forums diddn't address the same problem as mine or i couldn't understand what they were going on about. I did try a few of their ideas but also to no avail.

ps. i am away for the weekend now but will reply asap on Monday :)

thanks guys
Old 12-29-2012, 10:05 AM   #6
Registered Member

Hope you all had a good christmas,
anyone got any ideas on the solution?
Old 12-29-2012, 10:33 AM   #7
Registered Member

Found a solution!

after playing around a bit, i looked into the sharing options again and changed this:

right clicked on the drive
clicked on 'share with' and then 'advanced sharing'
clicked on 'advanced sharing' under the Advanced sharing sub heading
'permissions' then selected the 'full control' check box under Permissions for everyone sub heading -setting it to 'allow'.

clicked 'OK'

closed properties dialog and it now works and FreeFile Sync copies everything from my desktop to laptop and vise versa :D

thanks for your suggestions :)
Old 04-18-2013, 04:09 PM   #8
Registered Member

I found the cause for my Error Code 5 problems. Somehow, the permissions on sync.ffs_db had changed so that my username had no control without upgrading to administrator status. The way I found it was that the files I had copied from the remote system had the same permissions and I had to use administrator status just to edit them. I got suspicious and started running through all my folders making sure that they were all inheriting permissions properly. Several files and folders were not, including sync.ffs_db. once I reset the permissions to what they should be, I could use FFS without administrator mode.