Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows 7 Support, Windows Vista Support

[SOLVED] F:\ Drive error Application not found

This is a discussion on [SOLVED] F:\ Drive error Application not found within the Windows 7 Support, Windows Vista Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. So, my F Drive is my SD card reader in my laptop, and all of a sudden it says that

Closed Thread

Old 04-22-2008, 12:52 PM   #1
Registered Member

So, my F Drive is my SD card reader in my laptop, and all of a sudden it says that the F:\ is not available. Application not found. Anybody know what I can do to get this issue resolved?

Old 04-22-2008, 09:25 PM   #2
Team Manager, Microsoft Support
Microsoft MVP
BSOD Kernel Dump Expert

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultima2005 View Post
So, my F Drive is my SD card reader in my laptop, and all of a sudden it says that the F:\ is not available. Application not found. Anybody know what I can do to get this issue resolved?

Hi ultima2005 -

Welcome to the Tech Support Forum - Vista Support

Check with the Device Manager and look for any red/yellow signs.

START | Control Panel | System and Maintenance | Device Manager

Go int Computer and see if the drive is listed there. If it is right-click on it and view the properties tab. What is the format of the drive (NTFS, FAT32, etc...)? Also - be sure to check the ReadyBoost tab. On or OFF?

Also, try the card in another computer to see if it is good.

Regards. . .

jcgriff2

Old 04-23-2008, 06:17 PM   #3
Registered Member

Ok, I checked Device manager, and there were no yellow or red signs. Going into computer, and the drive is listed there, is not listed there when I don't have my card inserted into the computer.

Type: Removable Disk
File System: FAT

Do not have another computer available to check the card in, but I checked this card in my camera and it works fine, and I checked my other SD card, and it gives me the same error message.

Thanks

Ready Boost is not on.
Old 04-23-2008, 09:58 PM   #4
Microsoft MVP
BSOD Kernel Dump Expert

Hi ultima2005 -

When the card is in and you go into Computer - can you view what is on it?

As for the error itself - "F:\ is not available" - when does it come up - at boot-up, logging on to windows, running a program, etc...?

Regards. . .

jcgriff2

Old 04-24-2008, 04:02 AM   #5
Registered Member

I cannot view what is on the card. The error comes up when I go into My Computer and try to go into my card. I can see the SD card icon if my SD card is in, but the error pops up once I try to get into it.
Old 04-24-2008, 09:29 AM   #6
Microsoft MVP
BSOD Kernel Dump Expert

Hi ultima2005 -

I did find reports of errors similar to yours with card readers under Vista that are thought to be related to a driver update or even updates by Windows Updates - possibly SP1 - but I didn't find any plausible solution. I once had similar trouble with a DVD/CD drive and was able to fix it by deleting a registry entry. So, I went hunting for the same type of registry entry that I deleted for the DVD - and found one for the camera card (Smart Card) reader.

It may be possible that the deletion of a registry sub-key followed by a re-start may fix this for you. I am not sure. You can try this knowing that you can easily reverse it if it does not work - or you can perform a system restore back to a few days ago then install any updates one-by-one --- or both. It's your call.

The registry key deletion is rather simple.
click on START | type regedit into the start search box and hit enter.

Then go to the following key - they will all look very similar - but they are different:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{50DD5230-BA8A-11D1-BF5D-0000F805F530}

right-click on it and select EXPORT -- then save it as a REG file. This file can be used to restore the key back to its current state should this not work. Should you need to do so, just double-click on the REG file that you saved and select "merge".

Then look under the "name" column in the right window - you are looking for "UpperFilters" - if you find it (you may not), right-click on the icon next to it and select delete. Now look for LowerFilters and do the same. Again, these entries may not be there.

Instructions for a system restore -
START | type rstrui.exe in the start search box | right-click on rstrui.exe | select run as administrator | answer the User Access Control prompt - Continue/or password

Please let me know how you make out.

Regards. . .

jcgriff2

Old 04-28-2008, 07:04 PM   #7
Registered Member

I have not had an opportunity to try to fix this problem yet, I just figured that I would send you a message saying that I am not ignoring your last post. I've just been really busy with getting mobilized to go to Kuwait that time is not something that I have available to me oftentimes.

I did want to add, though, that I went to open up a file on a flash drive, and it came up on my computer as removable storage, like normal, but I got the same error message as when I was trying to open up my F drive, only this was the G drive. I am not sure if this changes what I should do at all.

In an attempt to try to troubleshoot the problem, and see if it had something to do with the USB port I plugged in my external hard drive, which read and I was able to open it up just fine, and my USB mouse also works.

Thanks
Old 04-28-2008, 07:09 PM   #8
Registered Member

Actually, I looked into HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{50DD5230-BA8A-11D1-BF5D-0000F805F530} just now and there were no files named UpperFilters or LowerFilters.
Old 04-28-2008, 10:33 PM   #9
Microsoft MVP
BSOD Kernel Dump Expert

Hi ultima2005. . .

Thanks for getting back to us.

That is strange how all that worked out... but good. Any windows updates or other updates come in recently?

Godspeed to you in Kuwait. Keep safe. And, Thank You!

jcgriff2

Old 04-29-2008, 05:24 PM   #10
Registered Member

What I was saying about it not saying upper and lower filters is that those files are not present, but my drives are still not working.
Old 04-30-2008, 12:22 AM   #11
Microsoft MVP
BSOD Kernel Dump Expert

Twisted

Apologies... I read right past the bad part.

I've seen other devices come in more so recently and if I find something that my help, I'll pass it along.

In the meantime, if you need any help while you are over there - just send a PM if you would ,like.

Take care. . .

jcgriff2
Old 04-30-2008, 06:18 AM   #12
Registered Member

Thanks, I really appreciate it. So nothing else that you can think of that I might be able to do to try and solve the problem?
Old 04-30-2008, 06:34 AM   #13
Microsoft MVP
BSOD Kernel Dump Expert

Can you provide me with the manufacturer and model number of the computer? I'll look into this further and see what I can find out.

regards. . .

jcgriff2
Old 04-30-2008, 12:10 PM   #14
Registered Member

It is a Dell XPS M1530.
Old 04-30-2008, 03:08 PM   #15
Microsoft MVP
BSOD Kernel Dump Expert

I have not found anything related to your specific model. Several did mention about the SD card drive being an option... was yours? Also that Dell was soon releasing an updated driver (what's soon?).. But it seemed that the SD driver could be non-Dell. Do you know the manufacturer of the hardware in your laptop - if different than Dell? Any idea as to the
capacity of drive - i.e., what size card did you use?

Would you like for me to give you a Vista report command to dump system device info

jcgriff2

Old 04-30-2008, 06:33 PM   #16
Registered Member

Well, I feel like a dumbass. For some reason it will still not let me double click the icon (it gives me that same message) but if I right click the icon and click open I can get into it just fine.

Stupid me.

Thanks for all your help, and sorry for wasting your time.
Old 07-05-2008, 07:10 PM   #17
Registered Member

Well..it seems that nobody have solved this issue. Here's the resolution of your issue.

Method 1 (If autorun.inf file is present)

Go to control panel then folder options. Press tab view and check view hidden files and folders.

Then go to the device not opening and explore it. Look if you see autorun.inf and if present delete it. Then disconnect usb device from system and reconnect it.

Method 2 (If autorun.inf file isn't present)

Go to command prompt and write the following.

attrib -s -r -h X:\autorun.inf

press enter and then write

del X:\autorun.inf

press enter and after this disconnect usb device from system and reconnect it.

Note: Please notice that X means the drive letter (F:\, G:\, etc).
Old 07-24-2008, 10:48 PM   #18
Registered Member

Thanks zorlac you're the man.works perfectly
Old 07-24-2008, 10:59 PM   #19
Microsoft MVP
BSOD Kernel Dump Expert

Thank you zorlac7 - now lets see if this works for ultima2005.

jcgriff2
Old 07-30-2008, 04:35 AM   #20
Registered Member

That worked perfectly, thank you both very much. Sorry it took me so long to reply, I don't get on the computer very much at the moment as I am on a deployment in the middle east.

Take care.