Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

[SOLVED] Copying Files At A Dos Prompt

2K views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  jcgriff2 
#1 ·
Hello,
I am having a problem getting erd commander to work on a laptop. It is not repairing the operating system. I just want to save some data and then I will reinstall Windows Vista (or Windows 7).

I am booting erd commander from a CD and it laods fine. Is there a way with erd commander that I can plug in a usb thumb drive and back up all of my files to the thumb drive? How can I do this?

HELP!!!!!!!

Thanks!!!

#2 ·
Re: ERD Commander Question- Vista- Need To Save Personal Files To USB Thumb Drive - H

I'm not sure how to do this with ERD Commander but there are other tools that will work.

One option is a BartPE boot disk:
Bart's Preinstalled Environment (BartPE) bootable live windows CD/DVD

Another option is a Linux Live CD or something like Symantec Ghost.

#4 ·
Copying Files At A Dos Prompt

Hi,
I have a laptop with Vista on it. ERD Commander won't fix it. I finally got Norton Ghost 15 and can get a dos prompt, and I can see the files that I need to copy, and I can also see my usb thumb drive.

Inside the directories, there are other subdirectories under them.

What is the correct syntax that I need to use, at a dos prompt, so that it will copy the subdirectories too?

I tried 'move /Y c:\users\owner\pictures\*.* g:\
but that only copies the files under pictures, but not the subdirectories under that.

What is the correct syntax that I need to use, at the dos prompt, to copy everything, including the subdirectories?

I also tried 'copy c:\users\owner\pictures\*.* /s g:\pictures'
but I don't think it likes the /s in there.

Please help!

Thanks,
Ox

#7 ·
Re: Copying Files At A Dos Prompt

JMPC and JCGRIFF2,

Thank you both VERY MUCH! My problem is solved! I saved all of the files that I needed!!!

I am about to reinstall Vista. I think all will go well.

If I have any other problems, I will be sure to ask!

Thanks again guys!!!!!! You guys are both great!!!

Ox

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.