Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

[SOLVED] Computer shuts down unexpectedly

2K views 17 replies 4 participants last post by  olobay 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi,

My computer has been shutting down unexpectedly lately. It started to shut down when I was watching videos at 1.5 speed on VLC player and only then. So I updated my video card driver and VLC player and for a couple of days everything was working fine. Today however, it's shutting down about every 20 minutes or so. I checked Event Viewer but I can't find what the error might be. Nothing new has been installed besides the driver and VLC player update. Here's what I am running:

Win7 Home Premium SP1
i7 2.80gHz
8Gb RAM

I have attached a CPUID Report. Is this a hardware or a software issue? Can anyone please help?

Thanks.

PS I have not been getting a BSOD. It goes from running fine to a black screen as if my monitor was unplugged. My tower is still on so I need to press the power button to shut down.

Attachments

#2 ·

Attachments

#6 ·
Re: Computer shuts down unexpectedly

If 101C (for the video card) is the correct temp, then that's WAY too high. Make sure all fans (CPU, Powersupply, Video card, and any case fans) are running properly. You could try pulling the side cover off the computer and see how hot things are getting. Make sure there's plenty of air around the case. I've had clients put their computer in a closed, very small desk "opening" that had a doors on them and virtually NO air circulation and the temps were much too high. Typically the computers would reboot routinely in the afternoon as the office warmed up. But I was puzzled how they didn't realize the wailing fans were because they were desperately trying to keep things cool.

#7 ·

Thanks for the reply djaburg. All fans are running, one on the cpu, one blowing out the tower, one on the psu and one on the video card. All running. Doesn't seem too hot in the tower. There is plenty of space for air to circulate.

I have uninstalled and re-installed the video card driver. I have checked RAM with mdsched and it found no errors. I did chkdsk c: /r and it found no errors. I have run Spybot and Malwarebytes with nothing found. I will update if there are still unexpected shut downs.

#9 ·
#12 ·

After mouth blowing away the dust from the fan and heat sink, the video card temperatures are down to half what they were. Fans are now running at 40% instead of 100% and my computer is MUCH quieter now. Still if somebody can answer if I should add some new thermal paste and if so, how do you apply it and how much?

Attachments

#16 ·

Any should do.

#17 ·

Thanks to everyone for all the help. I will try it and let you know but I've been on my computer doing regular stuff for the past 3 hours and no shut down. Also my gpu temperature has peaked at 65 degrees Celsius which is a big difference from the 100 + degrees.

#18 · (Edited)

Here's an update. After mouth blowing the gpu heatsink, temperatures went down about 45 degrees Celsius. I finally bought some compressed air and blew out my gpu heatsink as well as my cpu heatsink. I also bought some cheap silicone thermal grease, MANHATTAN : CPU Thermal Grease and applied a much thinner amount than there was on there originally, after removing the old thermal grease of course. The new thermal grease has reduced temperatures by another 4-5 degrees Celsius but my computer has only been on for about an hour so that will need to be monitored over the next few days. There is a substantial difference in temperature on the cpu after having air dusted it. It's about 15 degrees Celsius cooler now. I also air dusted the psu fan and that tempereature also decreased by approximately 15 degrees Celsius. Monitoring was done with CPUID HWMonitor. I will now be air dusting my computer every time I hear the fans running louder or I see my temperatures getting up there. Thanks for all the help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.