Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows 7 Support, Windows Vista Support

[SOLVED] Can't open anything.

This is a discussion on [SOLVED] Can't open anything. within the Windows 7 Support, Windows Vista Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I got one of those viruses that starts telling you you have a virus, and trying to get me to

Closed Thread

Old 04-07-2011, 05:44 PM   #1
Registered Member

I got one of those viruses that starts telling you you have a virus, and trying to get me to purchase it and whatnot. and so while trying to figure out how to get it to stop so i can look it up, i finally found the process its messages came from, and closed it. after i clicked end process tree though, everything else died on me. Now when i try to open anything it asks me what to open it with, and although i can find the proper program that i'm trying to open, most of them still don't work. Trying to open notepad, through notepad, gave me a long line of text, that i can't make head or tails of. What can i do to fix it, without needing to send it in. I've already tried a system restore.

Old 04-07-2011, 05:46 PM   #2
TSF - Enthusiast

My System

Read the New Instructions sticky and post here Virus/Trojan/Spyware Help - Tech Support Forum

Old 04-08-2011, 05:30 PM   #3
Registered Member

Its not a virus problem of any kind though. I removed the virus, but somehow managed to make my computer unable to open any program. If a file opens through a program, it will open up, like a works processor document, for example. but i cannot open or run any program directly. no matter what i try. I've even tried to download my programs again, but i can't so much as run the install.
Old 04-08-2011, 05:32 PM   #4
Registered Member

check this out, is it similar to this?

How to remove Antivirus 2010 (Uninstall Instructions)
Old 04-08-2011, 05:52 PM   #5
Registered Member

The original problem was. But that problem is long gone now. The problem i'm having is purely technical, and i only even mentioned it because it was part of the chain of events that lead up to my current problem.
Old 04-08-2011, 06:43 PM   #6
TSF - Enthusiast

My System

You are still infected. I've seen many of these and the problems you are having is because of the infection remaining. Stopping one files does not remove the infection.
Old 04-08-2011, 06:51 PM   #7
Registered Member

So your telling me that somehow, the infection is making it so i can't open up any program installed on my computer? I can't even run any of my programs whatsoever.
Old 04-08-2011, 06:52 PM   #8
TSF - Enthusiast

My System

Yes. This is very common.
Old 04-08-2011, 10:48 PM   #9
- Microsoft Support
- Networking

Download this file to your desktop. Change the file extension to .REG and double click it. When the box pops up asking which program you want to use to open the file, click Browse, then go to C:\Windows and find Regedit.Exe

Old 04-09-2011, 03:53 PM   #10
Registered Member

I don't know how to change the file extension, if you could help me with that. Thanks for the help so far though, assuming it works
Old 04-09-2011, 03:57 PM   #11
- Microsoft Support
- Networking

Just highlight the icon of the file you downloaded. Then click on the Name of the file where the text is highlighted. Name it anything you want, but the file extension must be .REG

Old 04-09-2011, 04:54 PM   #12
Registered Member

Thank you so much. It fixed everything for me.
Old 04-09-2011, 05:06 PM   #13
- Microsoft Support
- Networking

Excellent. You can mark this thread solved by clicking the link at the top of the page under Thread Tools.

Closed Thread