Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows 7 Support, Windows Vista Support

[SOLVED] Can't Install Software on Vista

This is a discussion on [SOLVED] Can't Install Software on Vista within the Windows 7 Support, Windows Vista Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Trying to run installation files (setup.exe for example) and I can't get anything to install on Vista. Got this new

Closed Thread

Old 01-22-2008, 03:31 PM   #1
Registered Member

Trying to run installation files (setup.exe for example) and I can't get anything to install on Vista.

Got this new laptop yesterday and managed to install a fair amount of stuff before encountering problems. Sometimes I click to run the installation file and nothing happens for at least ten minutes until it suddenly starts installing. Other times nothing happens at all.

I've disabled the annoying user account control and I'm logged in as the administrator. I can't figure out what the problem is. Any ideas?

Old 01-22-2008, 03:58 PM   #2
sjh
Registered Member

The problem is (or may be) that some programs that are not specifically designed for Vista dont ask for administrator access when performing certain tasks. Vista doesn't like that. Try right clicking the programs and selecting "run as administrator". Then it should install ok. I had the same problem and it worked for me in all but one case (Area 51 will not install on Vista).

Old 01-22-2008, 04:00 PM   #3
Registered Member

The programs I'm trying to install should work fine on Vista (latest Nero, latest Photoshop).

I've tried choosing 'run as administrator' and it seems to make no difference.
Old 01-22-2008, 04:08 PM   #4
Registered Member

EASY TAKE IT BACK TO THE SHOP AND SAY IT BROKEN ^_^

u got warranty right?
Old 01-22-2008, 07:17 PM   #5
Registered Member

That would mean sending it back to Dell and having no laptop for a while. It's not an option.

Surely there is something simple to solve this problem.
Old 01-22-2008, 11:50 PM   #6
Team Manager, Microsoft Support
Microsoft MVP
BSOD Kernel Dump Expert

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

Hello. . .

A few questions, if I may...

1. Are you installing programs consecutively or concurrently?

2. Are you logged in under an administrative account created during the installation of Vista.. or did you activate Vista's "hidden" Administrator account and are using that?

3. Have you looked at Task Manager to see if the "setup.exe" that was just executed is in fact running (during the +/- 10 minute lag)?

4. Was there any program in particular that you intalled during which/after you first noticed problems? -or-

5. Do you recall the last program that installed without any difficulties?

6. How many programs (approx) did you install up to the time these issues surfaced?

7. Have you been utilizing System Backup & Restore to make system restore points after each install or anywhere along the way?

8. During these periods of perceived system inactivity, does the mouse "sputter" and/or does the system appear to be non-responsive?

9. Have you checked Task Manager to see the current memory and CPU usage during this "non-responsive" period?

10. Have you experienced these same symptoms while performing non-installation tasks?

Thanks. . .

jcgriff2
Old 01-23-2008, 09:00 AM   #7
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcgriff2 View Post
Hello. . .

A few questions, if I may...

1. Are you installing programs consecutively or concurrently?

No, I've tried launching the installation file after the system has been reset and no other installations have been made.

2. Are you logged in under an administrative account created during the installation of Vista.. or did you activate Vista's "hidden" Administrator account and are using that?

I'm on the original admin account.

3. Have you looked at Task Manager to see if the "setup.exe" that was just executed is in fact running (during the +/- 10 minute lag)?

I no longer get the long lag. Now, nothing happens at all. The setup.exe is not running in Task Manager.

4. Was there any program in particular that you intalled during which/after you first noticed problems? -or-

Not that I can think of. Nero was the first to encounter problems and lag and eventually failed to install in the end.

5. Do you recall the last program that installed without any difficulties?

I installed Macromedia, but not without extreme lag after launching the setup file.

6. How many programs (approx) did you install up to the time these issues surfaced?

Loads, as it is a new laptop. Firefox, iTunes, VLC player, Zone Alarm, NOD32, MSN, Skype, uTorrent, WinRAR and a few more.

7. Have you been utilizing System Backup & Restore to make system restore points after each install or anywhere along the way?

8. During these periods of perceived system inactivity, does the mouse "sputter" and/or does the system appear to be non-responsive?

No, it runs as normal. It's as if I never even ran the setup file.

9. Have you checked Task Manager to see the current memory and CPU usage during this "non-responsive" period?

It doesn't appear to change. The memory usage increased by a few meg when I launched setup, but the CPU is low as normal.

10. Have you experienced these same symptoms while performing non-installation tasks?

Yes, while trying to shut down windows it has taken a long time to respond. This is probably because it is dealing with all the failed installation launches I've tried.

Thanks. . .

jcgriff2
Thanks
Old 01-23-2008, 11:25 AM   #8
Registered Member

I seem to have rectified the problem.

The two programs I couldn't install (Nero and Photoshop) are now installed. The problem was that I hadn't extracted the setup files properly.

Hopefully that's all it was.
Old 01-23-2008, 02:40 PM   #9
Registered Member

Try uninstalling the last thing you installed before you had the errors
also try and check for a virus
Old 02-09-2009, 03:57 AM   #10
Registered Member

I've installed Win XP SP2 and vista sp1 , but everytime I try to install the drivers for my 8500GT graphics card, the system crashes.

I've tried installing from the driver cd, both autorun, and manually through device manager, & I've also downloaded the latest drivers from the nvidia website but the same thing happens. As I've only just installed the OS, there are no other previous drivers installed.

Half way through installation, the computer crashes, and rather than rebooting normally, the screen goes black, there is a flashing line in the top corner for a couple of seconds (as in DOS) before the screen goes black again. at this point I reset manually and I get the blue screen of death after seeing the windows logo for 10-15 seconds.

If I run it in safe mode, the driver appears to be installed in device manager, but everytime I run windows properly, it crashes at the same point (win logo).

Also, I should add that even before I installed XP, there were lines running vertically down the screen in DOS, and after installing XP the lines are still there to start with, including on the Windows logo startup screen. Once it gets to the blue 'welcome' screen the lines disappear and the visuals are normal, but do these lines suggest damage to the graphics card and could this be related to my driver problem?